Currently reading:
Basic Tools

Discuss Basic Tools in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
H

Hannah

Which is the best place to get good quality basic tools from e.g. Hammers, Pipe cutter etc?

I'm getting myself a tool box together :)

Hannah x

Yeah defo getting a pair of them I use them all the time I hardly ever use the normal plyers I use water pump ones because there ajustable and easier :)

Would avoid rothenburger grips if u like ur hands! However if u want a rothenburger bender, buy a plumb center one as they are made by rothenburger. 30% cheaper to u tho.

Yeah defo getting a pair of them I use them all the time I hardly ever use the normal plyers I use water pump ones because there ajustable and easier :)

Get knipex cobras instead. Much easier to grip and have many more settings so the nuts dont get chewed up. Similar price

More important than any tool is the right attitude and a good sense of humour, you seem to have those and I think you will go far. Keep at it.

I like the crescent grips theres a set of 3on ebay at the min for a good price. When working in domestic houses i use a 240v core drill with an rcd on the plug.

Don't agree any more! I'm a hilmore, glm and c35 always have been. Two apprentices have robo / plumb center and they always producucing perfect bends. Bad tradesman blames his tools!
Yup ...but is a true excuse ;) ...never have been able to get on with them....If you were nearer scotland have a cheap bender I bought before i got my new hilmor :)

Best bit of kit is a decent belt, to avoid cracks on display, esp one with a thong! Also old tools were better quality than some of the tat on sale now! My best buy to date was the contents of a van sold buy a lad who just gave up! £90 for over £800+ of tools and spares, still working my way through his box of 28mm ef parts

WOW! You dropped on good then, I hope i drop on someone that sells most of the equiptment! :)

I would and do frequent ALDI there is no guarantee that what you want will be there
but when it is its really quite good stuff and cheap. All the electrical stuff is Black
& Decker re-badged centralheatking
Which is the best place to get good quality basic tools from e.g. Hammers, Pipe cutter etc?

I'm getting myself a tool box together :)

Hannah x

I would and do frequent ALDI there is no guarantee that what you want will be there
but when it is its really quite good stuff and cheap. All the electrical stuff is Black
& Decker re-badged centralheatking

Must admit I bought a wall chaser from aldi about 7 years ago and it's still going strong. Not to be used in occupied buildings tho :)

Guy's rave about Aldi all the time for powertools but whenever I go to mine they have nowt...maybe a 12V tyre inflator and a duff corded drill and that's it.

Lets change the game here!!

which of the more established engineers here. Have that second tool bag with the early basic tools they had. Which is now gathering dust and taking room in their lock up.

could kindly donate to hannah the spanner :)

I think you need to keep up lol.
hannah does not do nuts yet. so what good is the spanner to her? I reckon when she gets 2b 23, she will start doing nuts. Then a spanner will come in handy.

What about all the other noobs? Hanna seems to be getting a lot more tlc than the others do? I thought about offering tools but but unfair on the other noobs? I give most to own apprentices!!

personaly i like the CK tools pump pliers! bahco adjustables , and i have a fantastic set of draper expert screwdrivers, but just bought a set in local travis perkins the other day of screwdrivers with a red, green and white handle with a printed welsh drgon on!!! look fantastic !!!

I have bahco spanners, they are like an extension of my hand, i feel lost without them. monument pipe slices, better than rottenberger. a good level and a permenant marker and pencil are a must!

Bahco spanners are just the best, no other can match it, if you get 8inch wide jaw spanners they cost but your set for life, ive had mine for 3 years now and I dont know what I wouldve done without them!

im an apprentice doing level 2, i try and buy one new tool every week and if i don't i put the money away for something more expensive, this is what i have in my bag up to now.
monument pipe slice 15,22mm
3 bacho spanners, 2 six inch and an 8 inch
pipe cutter
3 spirit levels
tape mesure
screwdrivers and an electrical one
bacho grips
bosch multi drill bits
bosch spade bits
back nut spanners
tap spanners
plastic pipe cutter
Stanley knife
junior hack saw
pipe bender
super fire 2 blow torch
Bosch drill
makita impact driver
makita drill,driver
makita radio screw fix have deals on with these three i think i paid something like £150
wood chisels
pliers
wire cutters
small rubber hammer

Last edited:
im an apprentice doing level 2, i try and buy one new tool every week and if i don't i put the money away for something more expensive, this is what i have in my bag up to now.
pipe cutter
3 spirit levels
tape mesure
bacho grips
bosch multi drill bits
bosch spade bits
back nut spanners
tap spanners
plastic pipe cutter
Stanley knife
junior hack saw
pipe bender
super fire 2 blow torch
Bosch drill
makita impact driver
makita drill,driver
makita radio screw fix have deals on with these three i think i paid something like £150
wood chisels
pliers
wire cutters
small rubber hammer

Very dedicated apprentice! Well done! Uve been robbed of your radio though, makita DAB radio came out and was £120

pipe cutter
3 spirit levels
tape mesure
bacho grips
bosch multi drill bits
bosch spade bits
back nut spanners
tap spanners
plastic pipe cutter
Stanley knife
junior hack saw
pipe bender
super fire 2 blow torch
Bosch drill
makita impact driver
makita drill,driver
wood chisels
pliers
wire cutters
small rubber hammer

well done.
now go out and buy an SDS Drill seing as you are on the War Path:shades_smile:

If you have any spare cash for a small extravagance then try to get a 28mm pipe slice. It will probably only be used once in a blue moon but by heck when you need one you will be really glad you do have it in your kit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Basic Tools in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock