Search the forum,

Discuss Basic Tools in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
H

Hannah

Which is the best place to get good quality basic tools from e.g. Hammers, Pipe cutter etc?

I'm getting myself a tool box together :)

Hannah x

tool station is a good starting point for a basic range.
anything over £10 gets free delivery..:deal:

Don't buy cheap tools though, you'll end up paying twice.

I know it's not the weather but car boot sales can be a gold mine.

Don't buy cheap tools though, you'll end up paying twice.

I know it's not the weather but car boot sales can be a gold mine.

That's what am saying my tutors at school said if you buy cheap ones they can become dangrous or they break and you have to buy another so your paying twice. I don't mind about the money because when I have the money I can buy them. Or it's something people can buy me for Christmas :)

tool station screwfix
b&q plumbers merchants
boot sales are the nuts
ebay will be cheapist hands down for new kit

tool station screwfix
b&q plumbers merchants
boot sales are the nuts
ebay will be cheapist hands down for new kit

Thankyou, ive just spent a hour looking and made myself a xmas list size of my arm :) Bet my mum and dad will be pleased when they know how much all this is going to cost :) haha

Oh well, christmas is coming

And they'll be pleased when you redo the bathroom for them!

Oh well, christmas is coming

And they'll be pleased when you redo the bathroom for them!

In level 2 you learn how to take a bathroom to peices and at the end you learn how to put it together again!

I don't think my mum would let me in the bathroom until i knew how to put it all back together again haha x

Don't buy cheap !

Core tools will last u years.

Decent claw hammer (16 oz estwing. - the best)

Vde screwdriver set

Vde wire cutters ( knipex)

Grips ( knipex cobra)

Adjustable ( bacho wide jaw 6 ")

Monument cutters 15 22 and 28 possibly

Bacho junior hacksaw , basic tension frame one

File

5m tape

Folding rule

basic rule, only buy what you need to use for now. the more expensive and less used items are for later

basic rule, only buy what you need to use for now. the more expensive and less used items are for later

I'm going to get myself:
Hammer
Manual Screw Drivers
Pipe cutter
Pipe bender
Tape measure
Boat level

Thats about it what am using so far! I want to get my own tools so i get the feel of my own tools and they will be better looked after :)

look for used kits on ebay and gumtree, you dont need brand spanking new tools just starting out

That set of three Rothenberger water pump pliers mentioned earlier would be a very useful addition to the toolbox. Not cheap but worth every penny & you'll find yourself using them all the time.

Best bit of kit is a decent belt, to avoid cracks on display, esp one with a thong! Also old tools were better quality than some of the tat on sale now! My best buy to date was the contents of a van sold buy a lad who just gave up! £90 for over £800+ of tools and spares, still working my way through his box of 28mm ef parts

That set of three Rothenberger water pump pliers mentioned earlier would be a very useful addition to the toolbox. Not cheap but worth every penny & you'll find yourself using them all the time.

Yeah defo getting a pair of them I use them all the time I hardly ever use the normal plyers I use water pump ones because there ajustable and easier :)

just remember they wreck the edges on nuts for the next person (didnt say guy :)) coming along. Spanners and sockets are more proffessional imo

I got a used kit + added new things to it and its done me good apart from pipe slices which needed replacing, b&q do a £99 dewalt drill, and sometimes merchants reduce prices on good tools because they cant get rid e.g pressure testers etc I got a box load of of stuff including rothenberg superfire 2 blow torch about £500 worth of tools for half the price worth a look in id say

just remember they wreck the edges on nuts for the next person (didnt say guy :)) coming along. Spanners and sockets are more proffessional imo

Do they? I haven't worked with nuts yet I will do soon

Oh wow that doesn't sound right but yeah haha.. :)

Lets change the game here!!

which of the more established engineers here. Have that second tool bag with the early basic tools they had. Which is now gathering dust and taking room in their lock up.

could kindly donate to hannah the spanner :)

Lets change the game here!!

which of the more established engineers here. Have that second tool bag with the early basic tools they had. Which is now gathering dust and taking room in their lock up.

could kindly donate to hannah the spanner :)

Awww Hannah the spanner would really appreciate that :)

I hate pump pliers
Always prefer footprints got 6/8 and 12 inch ones had for years and will last forever

Bought all my kit of ebay.
Bahco spanners are a must and im a fan of stanley and rothenberger gear o and snickers workwear

Bahco are good but I use Todays tool adjustable I got from tool station half the price of Bahco and its good quality and is pretty much the same apart from the name. But stay away from the sliverline range toolstation sell! all there other stuff is pretty good.

Not so much basic tools, but when you buy power tools either buy battery or 110v.................unlike a certain Welsh bloke who ended up buying everything twice ;-(

Yeah defo getting a pair of them I use them all the time I hardly ever use the normal plyers I use water pump ones because there ajustable and easier :)

Would avoid rothenburger grips if u like ur hands! However if u want a rothenburger bender, buy a plumb center one as they are made by rothenburger. 30% cheaper to u tho.

Get knipex cobras instead. Much easier to grip and have many more settings so the nuts dont get chewed up. Similar price

Hilmor Bender if you want to bend properly ...rottenberger if you dont ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Basic Tools in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Copper pipes, I think its fair to say, is not what it used to be, the copper is getting thin while the cost is going up. Meanwhile, plastic...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I'm would like to extend an existing outside tap to another point in the garden. I'm about to pour a concrete patio and was hoping to...
Replies
Views
Hi all, I'm installing a concrete patio out back. By the wall under the kitchen sink I have an existing P-Trap gully for the grey water from the...
Replies
Views
Just started gound work on self build bungalow and wondering best way to do below ground soil pipes. For toilet I was going to go straight down...
Replies
Views
Hi, I'm looking for a water pump to pump water from a storage tank at a constant 3 bar pressure. It's at a campsite I run that's at the bottom of...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock