Search the forum,

Discuss Basic Tools in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
The problem with snapp offs is't the retracting it is they extend too far too easily.
Stanley titan retractables can be locked in position open or shut.

I feel so strongly against them it is actually a sacking offence to have one at work. Its me who has to deal with the paperwork and mop up the blood so it is not happening.

Snap offs are the weapon of choice for the blade man at the dancing. Easier to conceal and the 4" blade will hit something :shock:

That's fairs enough Tamz, and yes they are dangerous, in fact most of the tools we carry can be dangerous if not used correctly (a flat blade screwdriver used to scrape off paint from a pipe pulled towards yourself instead of away?)

Soooo dangerous but I work on my own and find the snap off to be more useful than stanley

Everyone to their own.
Btw i'm not risk averse. I wouldn't think twice about running up a roof with no roof ladder but if i catch anyone else doing it i'd probably kick the shyt out of them :smile:

We tend to not take our own safety too seriously that's true

But I have too many experiences and anecdotes of dangerous situations that have scared me and always take safety as a first priority.

My dad has shattered both his knee caps, ladder on roof, ladder slips he falls bangs knees on rungs, he was lucky to actually survive the fall!

When working with engineering appliances (expansion bellows and spirotvent) was told of a man walking down a service tunnel unbeknownst to him the steam main was leaking superheated steam he walked right into the path was blown back onto an exposed bus bar electric, got vaporised, So we were told, so many dangers, so many ways to hurt yourself

To the OP, make sure you work safely, your life and health depends upon it

escaping superheated steam is awful noisy and warm and 440 tends to melt your innards and outside bits not vapourise one, but the tales dont sound that good otherwise do they :)

Yep bloke must have heard steam but not seen it (superheated you can't see) but when he felt it jumped back onto the electrics HV basically body exploded when HV went through it

my dad also (when working on hawker hunters, black arrows as they were then also witnessed plane getting sucked into slip stream went straight into ground, he found a bit of helmet with what looked like tomato soup in it

you tell me about dangerous occupations

Hi Hannah, Are you not with a company at the moment? If so they should provide you with some basic tools to get you started. Where you doing your training? I studied at Leeds College of Building. Really good tutors there, I wish you all the best and good look with your career.

Which is the best place to get good quality basic tools from e.g. Hammers, Pipe cutter etc?

I'm getting myself a tool box together :)

Hannah x

Hi Hannah, Are you not with a company at the moment? If so they should provide you with some basic tools to get you started. Where you doing your training? I studied at Leeds College of Building. Really good tutors there, I wish you all the best and good look with your career.

Hey, No am not with a company atm trying to look for someone local as I can't go too far because am only a student. I'm doing it at Barnsley College they have some amazing tutors down here too :) & thankyou very much

I would try and get some hands one experience if you can, even working weekend for free here and there. Will help you pick things up in college quicker and give you a insight into plumbing in the real world. It is nothing like college :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Basic Tools in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Copper pipes, I think its fair to say, is not what it used to be, the copper is getting thin while the cost is going up. Meanwhile, plastic...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I'm would like to extend an existing outside tap to another point in the garden. I'm about to pour a concrete patio and was hoping to...
Replies
Views
Hi all, I'm installing a concrete patio out back. By the wall under the kitchen sink I have an existing P-Trap gully for the grey water from the...
Replies
Views
Just started gound work on self build bungalow and wondering best way to do below ground soil pipes. For toilet I was going to go straight down...
Replies
Views
Hi, I'm looking for a water pump to pump water from a storage tank at a constant 3 bar pressure. It's at a campsite I run that's at the bottom of...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock