Discuss another gas explosion. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
"A spokeswoman for Nottingham City Homes has confirmed a new boiler was fitted at the property six weeks ago. However, investigations have not yet been carried out so it is not known whether the explosion involved the boiler."

some engineer will not be sleeping well,hopefully has nothing to do with it,but until officially told,not a nice position to be in

Not nice when people injured,hope they recover ok,however injuries do not sound minor unfortunately

Sounds like maybe cooker incident :(:(:(

wouldnt wish this one on anyone, hope for installers sake its a cooker/hob problem, poor sod

Sounds like a non fsd hob being left on by accident to me. I certainly hope so for the boiler installers sake

debris was found 70yards away (front window), 2 kids upstairs blown out of windows onto back garden, half rear wall gone.
lady has lost an arm and leg apparently to local news, she and her partner was in the house so i think it was a little more than an internall hob leak, more of a cavity explosion.

got a job in the house behind this one on thursday, half the roof and bricks are in this garden apparently, so the custard says.

debris was found 70yards away (front window), 2 kids upstairs blown out of windows onto back garden, half rear wall gone.
lady has lost an arm and leg apparently to local news, she and her partner was in the house so i think it was a little more than an internall hob leak, more of a cavity explosion.

got a job in the house behind this one on thursday, half the roof and bricks are in this garden apparently, so the custard says.

I don't know mate, for talking sake.......
if the hobs left on long enough then someone lights a ciggie, boom.

Might not even be gas for all we know though

yes pretty sure it is gas as said on tv confirmed gas explosion. the place is swarming with gas engineers, national grid and h.s.e.

directly opposite this house is the fire station and nottm main college f.e. for plumbing and gas and the incident is restricting entry to the college, so a good feild trip there for the students doing their acs then.

Last edited by a moderator:
yes pretty sure it is gas as said on tv confirmed gas explosion. the place is swarming with gas engineers, national grid and h.s.e.

directly opposite this house is the fire station and nottm main college f.e. for plumbing and gas and the incident is restricting entry to the college, so a good feild trip there for the students doing their acs then.

Is this in Basford Martin?

I was doing some stand in ESP work a few years back when Transco were doing a work to rule and got a call to an explosion in Fife.
Turned out the guy had left some soup or whatever (they never found it:D ) on the cooker turned down low and went to the pub. Came back a couple of hours later full of the sauce with a *** in his mouth, flame had gone out and blew the front off the house and i mean the full front. It was a 70's 2 storey terrace with 12" butts between the houses and big 10ft windows and lining on the front. Blew the lot away with bits lying over 100 yards away.
Amazingly he had not even a scratch on him:confused: and was wandering around asking for a light:D

now not saying it was but i am sick of going to propertys with work done by non registered cowboys

went to a property yest with old ideal w rs450 beast,,,big id warning label from 2009 case seals gone signs of spillage flue too close to window and 1 inch away from air brick and has a kitchen cupboard built round it with no airflow,,tenant says several people have been round to relight and one i know is a 6129er no gas experience
just had a beko cooker arranged by letting agent,,,,no fsd cooker hose kinked and sitting on floor bayonet facing upwards

asked her if anyone had gone near the meter on any visit and noone had at all

phoned one of the monkeys who was involved in the cooker for details of people who fitted cooker ,,ime still waiting for the call back with the details

pretty soon now i dont care if its the done thing or not but i am going to start reporting to gas safe ..this girl had a little kid and so far she has an id boiler and a cooker with no fsd in a flat and noone so far has even done a tightness test

1629961.jpg

1629431.jpg

_48137020_48137009.jpg

Hmm!

Was the fitter registered?

Seems he may have been.

Seems having an ACS may not be the guarantee of safety its supposed to be?

seems a bit of a sweeping statement bernie you really do have a bit of a hang up about acs..what is it

No newbie1

I don't have any hang up about ACS. Its just that perhaps some who hold it, seem to perhaps inadvertently comment as though it entitles them to be a judge and jury of anybody who doesn't.

My view is that people who hold ACS make mistakes, just like everybody else, they are human, so we cannot assume it makes us any better than the average manual worker in any other field, except we perhaps have to read more and take more responsibility.

But then so does an IEE sparks, when he or she signs off an inspection perhaps?

And I am following on from another mail that said without knowing, that they must have been "cowboys" who did the job.

Point I was making, is that even with an ACS people can act like "cowboys", it has nothing to do with ACS how people behave or whether they are Gas Safe registered or not.

Lets just say it was an accident and stop pulling the people who did the job to pieces, virtually declaring them incompetent. It was an accident I assume, and not a deliberate act. The HSE will find the person responsible and take them to court.

But it may be a registered gas fitter who forgot something and not those so often blamed "cowboys".

In point I have never seen a comparison of gas related accidents involving so called unregistered "cowboys" and those involving registered gas fitters.

It would be nice to know and of course it would have to be organised by an independent body.

If its found to be mostly registered gas fitters that have more accidents, which is possible considering they probably do far more work with gas than cowboys do. Then it perhaps points to something wrong somewhere, which we may be able to fix.

But if we continually blame "cowboys" will we look at ourselves to find out if it is us?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to another gas explosion. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock