Users can remove all display ads (not sponsors) for a small fee. Click for info (must be logged in)

Discuss A city of firsts in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Somebody has to be I suppose!

Been there a few times & actually found it to be an interesting city. Lots if different architecture. Quite a lot of hills in some places near the centre if I remember rightly! The docks always interested me too! Used to just sit there & imagine all the activity of dock life of yesteryear going on!

Somebody has to be I suppose!

Been there a few times & actually found it to be an interesting city. Lots if different architecture. Quite a lot of hills in some places near the centre if I remember rightly! The docks always interested me too! Used to just sit there & imagine all the activity of dock life of yesteryear going on!

Mad in it, the new museum of Liverpool is very good for all that. Fascinates me that the docks made Liverpool the centre of the world for a long time even if it was for a lot of bad reasons

Mad in it, the new museum of Liverpool is very good for all that. Fascinates me that the docks made Liverpool the centre of the world for a long time even if it was for a lot of bad reasons

Not too sure about the entire history of the 'pool docks. What's the story?

Where I live we have a smaller docks, but this also interests me. I used to work there when I was younger in a converted dockside warehouse & loved seeing the hints to the past!

Not too sure about the entire history of the 'pool docks. What's the story?

Where I live we have a smaller docks, but this also interests me. I used to work there when I was younger in a converted dockside warehouse & loved seeing the hints to the past!

Been trying to find a decent website for you but can't find any to do it justice.

Liverpool docks where the centre of the world. Sadly most of the slave trade did pass through it. It set lots of records for world firsts, basically most docks around the world are based on the systems developed in Liverpool. It all very nearly never happened. The original request to the bank for the money to build the first dock was declined, they had to source it elsewhere. The bank apparantky thought there was no future in it!!!!!!! How wrong they where, the entire north west and beyond owes its fortunes to liverpools docks, no cotton no mills!

The city takes its name from very early docks called pools which where basically mud banks. Apparantky when you looked down on the pools from Liverpool castle the water looked liver coloured, hence liver-pool!

The dockers umbrella was the worlds first overhead railway built to service the docks and also the first to be electrified.

Stanley dock tobacco warehouse is the largest brick built building in the world!

Stanley Dock Tobacco Warehouse - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Theses are just a few of the facts I can remember.

Been trying to find a decent website for you but can't find any to do it justice.

Liverpool docks where the centre of the world. Sadly most of the slave trade did pass through it. It set lots of records for world firsts, basically most docks around the world are based on the systems developed in Liverpool. It all very nearly never happened. The original request to the bank for the money to build the first dock was declined, they had to source it elsewhere. The bank apparantky thought there was no future in it!!!!!!! How wrong they where, the entire north west and beyond owes its fortunes to liverpools docks, no cotton no mills!

The city takes its name from very early docks called pools which where basically mud banks. Apparantky when you looked down on the pools from Liverpool castle the water looked liver coloured, hence liver-pool!

The dockers umbrella was the worlds first overhead railway built to service the docks and also the first to be electrified.

Stanley dock tobacco warehouse is the largest brick built building in the world!

Stanley Dock Tobacco Warehouse - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Theses are just a few of the facts I can remember.

I love this sort of history. My dad does the local civic trust tours & even a small time city like where I live is full of interesting history!

That's quite a few interesting facts. I had forgotten about the slave trade. Now you mention it, it makes sense as my first thoughts of the slave trade is all to do with immigrants being brought over on the cotton ships & then sold off like pieces of meat to the rich & wealthy!

I love this sort of history. My dad does the local civic trust tours & even a small time city like where I live is full of interesting history!

That's quite a few interesting facts. I had forgotten about the slave trade. Now you mention it, it makes sense as my first thoughts of the slave trade is all to do with immigrants being brought over on the cotton ships & then sold off like pieces of meat to the rich & wealthy!

Exactly what happened it was big buisness in Liverpool, there are a lot of streets in Liverpool named after slave ships and there owners. Some silly politican tried to get then changed a few years back as a mark of respect. Most of Liverpool including the black community told her to leave it be, history can't be rewritten and shouldn't be forgotten.

If your ever down again go to the new museum of Liverpool inbetween the liver buildings and the Albert dock and the maritime and slave museum in the Albert dock.

Stanley dock tobbaco warehouse for the set of The Sherlock Holmes movie .

image.jpg

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    19.1 KB · Views: 36
Exactly what happened it was big buisness in Liverpool, there are a lot of streets in Liverpool named after slave ships and there owners. Some silly politican tried to get then changed a few years back as a mark of respect. Most of Liverpool including the black community told her to leave it be, history can't be rewritten and shouldn't be forgotten.

If your ever down again go to the new museum of Liverpool inbetween the liver buildings and the Albert dock and the maritime and slave museum in the Albert dock.

History should never be forgotten! No matter how controversial, horrific or politically incorrect. I was once watching a programme on channel 4, think it was called 4 rooms?!? People with items they consider to be worth some money & attempt to sell it to 4 antique/collector experts! One guy turned up with adult & child "Klu Klux Klan" outfits from a crime history museum. One expert said he would buy them off him to burn them as they were offensive to him. The owner of the costumes quite righty got upset by this & rightly said, "right of wrong, it's history!! You can't just erase it at will. It's there for people to learn from & part of our lives". I totally agree with this. I wasn't particularly interested in history at school, mainly for the way it was taught to me, but now I find that history can be quite interesting if it is put to me in the right way.

I would like to go back to Liverpool, would have some difficulty convincing my current missus that it has any attraction other than shopping!!

Liverpool had a massive part in supporting the confederates in the American civil war. Thomas Jefferson once stayed in Liverpool to create trade routes with the new world. When the confederates lost a lot of people in Liverpool where bankrupted.

History should never be forgotten! No matter how controversial, horrific or politically incorrect. I was once watching a programme on channel 4, think it was called 4 rooms?!? People with items they consider to be worth some money & attempt to sell it to 4 antique/collector experts! One guy turned up with adult & child "Klu Klux Klan" outfits from a crime history museum. One expert said he would buy them off him to burn them as they were offensive to him. The owner of the costumes quite righty got upset by this & rightly said, "right of wrong, it's history!! You can't just erase it at will. It's there for people to learn from & part of our lives". I totally agree with this. I wasn't particularly interested in history at school, mainly for the way it was taught to me, but now I find that history can be quite interesting if it is put to me in the right way.

I would like to go back to Liverpool, would have some difficulty convincing my current missus that it has any attraction other than shopping!!

Its not bad for shopping either ;-)

Its not bad for shopping either ;-)

It's a couple since I last went. They were just renovating the shopping centre there. L1 or something like that?!? It was pretty impressive how large it all was. It was all quite clean too.

Nothing in those pictures remains it's all been nicked some scally's even pinched the wheels off those carriages !

Nothing in those pictures remains it's all been nicked some scally's even pinched the wheels off those carriages !

Such a boring false stereotype that. Liverpool is the second safest city in the country after Newcastle, and that's from police crime figures

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-AI1wrLnJY...U2rTRmKDyY/s1600/Parliament+Place+16.5.66.jpg

The tall kid in the back of the Mini is my missus' uncle Eddie who grew up to be a millionaire, lost the lot then made it back again, the two girls with white socks are her aunts, Gwen and Lorraine. There's an old pic in the family somewhere of my grandad standing on the docks with his Shire horse and cart full of barrels if I can dig it out I'll add it to that site.

Edit: Weird, that pic (link) was taken 53 years ago... today.

Last edited:
Such a boring false stereotype that. Liverpool is the second safest city in the country after Newcastle, and that's from police crime figures

That's cos of the golden rule ' don't shyt on your own doorstep'....:D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to A city of firsts in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi folks. I need to replace a few rads, about 30 years old. Any advice on best quality rads appreciated. I got a quote from City Plumbing for...
Replies
Views
J
I don't live near a city and need to figure out how many rods of 56% I need to solder 3" copper to copper and come copper to stainless steel. I...
Replies
Views
M
Hi.I have 6 caste iron rads and want to connect them all the lines are in with the stubs sticking out of the wall. There are two manifolds down...
Replies
Views
I'm looking in Leicster and lincoln area for volunteering as plumbers mate to gain experience with my lv2 city and guilds plumbing and lv 3 city...
Replies
Views
Hi, I am in need of an experienced plumber for the following jobs: bathroom: Remove exisiting toilet. Fix new toilet. Fix new wash basin and...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock