Search the forum,

Discuss 8mm to 10mm compression coupling in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, What are peoples opinions about an 8mm-10mm reducer compression fitting. I am about to have the plasterers in and wanted to get rid of the visibly annoying 8mm pipes - the plan was to compression fit beneath the floor boards to 10mm speedfit and then up through the back of the rads and on to Peglar push fit reducer bends (10-15mm), mounted to a 15mm TRV/lockshield.

I'll probably get rid of the 8mm where possible in the long term as whole carpets come up, where I'll use a new compression joint to tie into the 10mm speedfit pipe. Until that day however I think it's worthwhile converting the visible rad runs to centre exit whilst the walls are being filled.

Any flaws in my plan?

Tim

Last edited:
Hi, What are peoples opinions about an 8mm-10mm reducer compression fitting. I am about to have the plasterers in and wanted to get rid of the visibly annoying 8mm pipes - the plan was to compression fit beneath the floor boards to 10mm speedfit and then up through the back of the rads and on to Peglar push fit reducer bends (10-15mm), mounted to a 15mm TRV/lockshield.

I'll probably get rid of the 8mm where possible in the long term as whole carpets come up, where I'll use a new compression joint to tie into the 10mm speedfit pipe. Until that day however I think it's worthwhile converting the visible rad runs to centre exit whilst the walls are being filled.

Any flaws in my plan?

Tim

yea still using 8mm :)

Jobs a good en :) I only had the full seal inserts which wouldn't allow the olives over the top... I've since bought the basic inserts just in case. When refilling the seals compression joints leaked slightly, but I'd only nipped them, so did a few small adjustments until any leaking stopped. Hopefully they'll be good when the radiator goes back on. Using pegler pusb fit 15mm/10mm reducing elbows. Please excuse the walls and skirting, plasterers due shortly.

20150826_192607.jpg

You can put the nut on the pipe first, then the olive and then put the pipe insert with seals on last.

Hi Stig, I did that with the 2nd one and it still wouldn't mount, ended up having to cut an inch off to remove the piece with the insert in. Will use the slim basic inserts for the next one i do, in hope.

The Inserts with rubber o rings on are for push fit fittings, the plain ones with no o rings are for compression, they alow the pipe to be pushed into the fitting more, the superseal inserts usually leak or will leak with compression fittings

Well heres hoping my first two insertless connections stand the test of time :) would either of you redo these joints installing the inserts? The system is filled up again with no leaks on these joints currently... The rad is still off though until the plastering has been done

Personally I'd definitely remake the joints that don't have inserts. I'd be forever worrying about them going.

Well heres hoping my first two insertless connections stand the test of time :) would either of you redo these joints installing the inserts? The system is filled up again with no leaks on these joints currently... The rad is still off though until the plastering has been done

They might not leak under normal circumstances but what if someone was to knock the rad or the pipe/valve with the super seal inserts the olive is on the end of the pipe nearly so wouldn't take much to pull it off

I definitely would remake with inserts. I've been paranoid enough to have gone back and checked if I've been distracted for some reason.

Thanks all, noted and will address when I convert a second rad next week, when the system will be drained again. I suppose the other consideration is that the water isn't yet flowing through those pipes and they may not be fully flooded with the end caps being on.

Other question... When refilling a gravity fed system, aside from bleeding the rads and pump prior to turning the heating or water on... Is the system largely self bleeding? I've found it does self bleed quicker if I turn the pump down, unsure if that helps, it certainly sounds like it with the bubbles noises

It depends mainly on your system design and construction. In the vast majority of cases it should be fine and self bleed through the rads, vent, and/or any AAV's fitted.

It seems to settle after a few days so I'll run with what I've been doing. It'll be drained a few more times yet as I'm working my way through the flushing the rads. Thanks rckape.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to 8mm to 10mm compression coupling in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I have Honeywell Valencia TRVs 10mm pipe size, I’m making mods to accommodate larger rads and it looks like the 10mm compression insert is special to Honeywell as all available inserts are 15mm to 10mm which do not fit as the compression nut has a 10mm hole, not a 15mm. Anyone know if you can...
Replies
Views
Hi, I have a leak on the live side of one of my rads, in the GF loo. Its a condensing combi system, the house is only 5 years old, so fairly new. The leak is at the bottom compression fitting on the lockshield rad valve. The rad is a chromed steel towel rail, and the valve is brass/copper, the...
Replies
Views
Hello, I'm relatively new to plumbing had a career change at the start of lockdown and worked with a plumber for a month and now I'm tackling stuff alone and sort of learning from my mistakes. Today, I'm fitting a new TRV and lockshield onto microbore using a 10mm to 15mm adapter, I cut the old...
Replies
Views
T
I have recently moved house and would like to move a radiator from a side wall, to one below the window as is more pleasing to the eye. I understand why it was not placed under the window, as my house is old and has concrete flooring so would be difficult when it comes to the pipework...
Replies
Views
I’ve recently moved into a bungalow with an open vented central heating system installed in 1987 with 8mm microbore running to the 10 radiators. One of the radiators needs replacing as it’s got a small corrosion pinhole in the body and we wanted to fit a larger towel rail anyway. Having gone...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock