Discuss 22mm olives on imperial 3/4 in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
N

Nat

Are 22mm olives ok on 3/4 imperial copper only I fitted a 22mm ballofix on old bath supplies earlier and I didn't feel them grip as well as normal and although they weren't weeping at all I feel a bit paranoid about now?

Its not something I would do as the OD is quite a bit smaller on 3/4 compared with 22mm. but if satisfied its water tight it may be ok but if your concerned I would recommend rectifying it

just keep some 3/4 olives on your van from the plumbers merchants ave used ptfe under the olive before now to get me out of a fix till could get some olives or 22mmto/3/4 coupler

Last edited by a moderator:
maybe you should of used imperial olives, i think u can get them from plumb center. Maybe wrap ptfe over the 22mm olive hmmm

recently fitted a new bathroom suite, had a 22 mm push fit flexi tap connector to use, only to find out it was 3/4" pipe. used a 22mm compression instead, just needed to crimp the olive a bit more. nice tight fit.

Yeah I think I should have wrapped a bit of ptfe on pipe then slid the olive over it. I did use jet blue. Thanks for your replies. Still feeling a bit paranoid. Bath panel goes back on and no one is gonna realise for ages if it does start weeping! The pressure on the vented system is very low though...

I always solder on the proper 22mm x 3/4 coupler into a short length of 22mm, its the only decent thing to do regarding future work in my opinion.

As said would not carry out such practice,not a permanent ,secure joint at all

Think the idea of the customer getting a plumber in ,is so they get a proper professional job done ,think below joint does not come under that category

imho

Last edited by a moderator:
As said would not carry out such practice,not a permanent ,secure joint at all

Think the idea of the customer getting a plumber in ,is so they get a proper professional job done ,think below joint does not come under that category

imho

You are absolutely right. I am going to get some 3/4 olives and pop back and change them. It's only because it occured to me after I had left what had Happened. Lesson learnt!

You are absolutely right. I am going to get some 3/4 olives and pop back and change them. It's only because it occured to me after I had left what had Happened. Lesson learnt!

That's a good attitude mate, conscientious about your work and if your not entirely happy then rectify.

Hope the 22mm olives come off easily for you!

Yeah I think I should have wrapped a bit of ptfe on pipe then slid the olive over it. I did use jet blue. Thanks for your replies. Still feeling a bit paranoid. Bath panel goes back on and no one is gonna realise for ages if it does start weeping! The pressure on the vented system is very low though...

they will soon notice when it blows off and floods the place, "green" rigs for 3/4" pipe every time, or 3/4"x22mm york st couplings

Is there anywhere you can get 3/4 olives on a Sunday?

Could try screwfix, if not then one of the main DIY stores Wicks, B&Q - would be worth checking their websites to see if they stock them first. If not, then if you have a local independent they'll stock them - just not sure if they'll be open on a Sunday!

carnt see ye getting them at screwfix as theyve stop selling copper olives could try toolstation there usually a bit better than screwfix other wise its the merchants unless you can stop a plumber who might have one on his van

experience says it all untill it all goes tots up, thats why the customer gets in a 'qualified' plumber and not a diy'er wanna-be who cant tell the difference between a 3/4 or 22mm.

like me once,
thought it was 3/4 but only had 22mm olives with me, i noticed the olive a little slack and cranked it right up tight and managed to finish the job on the day and no leak, albeit a little late in the evening...
i had a right mouthful from the woman the next day as she told me it blew off in the night and had to get a neighbor round to sort it out. fortunately i lost the customer and that was that.lol.

always carry 3/4 olives and 22to 3/4 couplers.
toolstation sell them on sundays.

hijack hear
How many times have you had a straight connector at hand in a tight spot thinking its tight due to the flux but then realised you have a reducer and not a straight ?

Some of the more substantial metric olives, like conex or heavier, are ok on imperial pipe. However, before you start to use them, they should be compressed bit by bit in the fitting, checking till they are a tight fit on a piece of imperial pipe. Then put fitting on pipe & compress. Remove it & check ok. This avoids fitting & olive going to one side. I generally always use solder changeover connectors as Phil does.

i've often wondered why 3/4 olives are 3 times the price of 22mm olives

Much the same as why 10mm fittings are more expensive than 15mm. Supply and demand, economics, etc. High demand and high supply = competition = lower prices. Low supply and low demand = higher prices.

experience says it all untill it all goes tots up, thats why the customer gets in a 'qualified' plumber and not a diy'er wanna-be who cant tell the difference between a 3/4 or 22mm.

like me once,
thought it was 3/4 but only had 22mm olives with me, i noticed the olive a little slack and cranked it right up tight and managed to finish the job on the day and no leak, albeit a little late in the evening...
i had a right mouthful from the woman the next day as she told me it blew off in the night and had to get a neighbor round to sort it out. fortunately i lost the customer and that was that.lol.

always carry 3/4 olives and 22to 3/4 couplers.
toolstation sell them on sundays.
Getting slightly of the subject, but was wondering, would it not be best to undo any fitting after you tighten it, to check it is fully compressed? Belt & Braces way of doing it & it guarantees it's secure.

I always carry green rings and 3/4 x 22mm yorkie adaptors, been caught out before trying to solder a 22mm coupling on 3/4 pipe. Make them a stock item on the van and that's another scenario you can cross off the list.

I like to think I have every fitting for every possible senario with me in the van for all the pipe sizes and materials I will ever come accross, everything from a 10mm Speedfit cap to 28mm x 1" fitting with all the fittings inbetween including iron and Philmac transition.

I have a 3/4" Speedfit coupler aswell for emergencys.

Always carry 3/4 rings and half a dozen Speedfit 3/4 to 22mm straights. Keep some of the 3/4 pipe and fittings you strip out, mark it with a green marker so you know what it is and you'll find it will get you out of a tight spot on many occassions. A tap adaptor usually fits old drifted fittings. A 3/4 brass bush is really useful to have too. It's impossible to have every fitting, but as I work in a lot of Victorian properties, it pays to be prepared.

I suppose a temporary 'bodge' would be to try and solder a 22mm fitting on with the aid of a 22mm copper olive as a buffer for the solder. You may need to crimp it on with grips.

I've rather do that if I had no fittings rather than get the dreaded call like REDSAW!

thing is a speedfit coupler under a bath with a iso valve a bit of a tight squeeze unless only on till next day cos nowhere open or no iso on it

Getting slightly of the subject, but was wondering, would it not be best to undo any fitting after you tighten it, to check it is fully compressed? Belt & Braces way of doing it & it guarantees it's secure.

I do this quite a lot, i even undo push fit fittings to make sure the grab ring is home. Its a wonder i ever get any job finished..i think ive got OCD :)

Dont do it all the time but i like to drive away from a job knowing i wont have to go back. Ive re-soldered fittings up to 3 times 'just to make sure'

I always carry an end feed 3/4 to 22 for two reasons. One so ive got one if i need one, and one to 'test' if its 3/4 or 22, its hard to tell sometimes.

It'll be good when theres no 3/4 pipe left!!

I do this quite a lot, i even undo push fit fittings to make sure the grab ring is home. Its a wonder i ever get any job finished..i think ive got OCD :)

Dont do it all the time but i like to drive away from a job knowing i wont have to go back. Ive re-soldered fittings up to 3 times 'just to make sure'

I always carry an end feed 3/4 to 22 for two reasons. One so ive got one if i need one, and one to 'test' if its 3/4 or 22, its hard to tell sometimes.

It'll be good when theres no 3/4 pipe left!!
I was taught these habits by a man who I consider to have been unbeatable at top quality work. I think I must be one of the few who check compression & other joints. I even check soldered with a mirror. I have seen compression joints when taken apart, the olive sliding on the pipe. Soom of the olives on all sorts valves, have very hard olives so won't tighten with the " hand tight + 3/4" turn with a spanner" rubbish that DIY manuals say. Sometimes wise not to use those olives anyhow. Only takes a second to slacken a nut, check olive is on full & tight, a little paste, & gently nip up nut. Never a danger of a blow off or a weep with this method.

Last edited:
i normally carry on the van a few 3/4 olives, 22x3/4 and 15x1/2 end feed couplers, 16mm cap ends. i also like to have one or two end feed slip couplers.

There will always be something you come across that you have nothing for.

i normally carry on the van a few 3/4 olives, 22x3/4 and 15x1/2 end feed couplers, 16mm cap ends. i also like to have one or two end feed slip couplers.

There will always be something you come across that you have nothing for.

A very handy fitting to keep in the van is a 6 inch speedfit female to female flexi, handy for bursts, temporary fixes etc, and re-usable many times over. Even keep an inch and a half macalpine flexi for the same reason, very handy when changing a bath.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to 22mm olives on imperial 3/4 in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4...
Replies
Views
Hello plumbers in my internet. So the Mrs want a spray mixer tap in the kitchen as we had two separate taps. I changed the tap for a temporary two...
Replies
Views
I want to reconnect some outbuildings to an existing water supply. The supply pipe is old 22mm MDPE and buried for a fair distance so not going...
Replies
Views
Hi. I need a new toilet supply line but don’t know the size type of the fitting at the shut off valve. It is not 3/8 compression. It is a plastic...
Replies
Views
Hi all, this is probably a daft question but I need to run my cold feed from one side of my wall mounted boiler to the other. Running it beneath...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock