Search the forum,

Discuss Your too expensive..... in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

secret squirrel

Just been asked to change over a washing machine new tap required for cold, cap off hot water, remove old machine across lino floor, unpackage new machine etc etc.

Does the stopcock work? Don't know
Are you on a water meter? no
Combi boiler? No, why does this matter.

I explain the problems with valves in airing cupboards to turn off hot supply so you can cap it off properly. May need to drain tank down to do it properly.

(job is already not as easy as you'd think)

I said it'll be a max of 2 hours, (we all know different if you have to drain down tank and get an airlock, prepared to take the loss if there longer)

Give price, HOW MUCH?

I asked 'do you smoke' yes,
how much is a packet of ****?
Do you go down the pub?
Yes, how much do you spend per night.
Pay as you go mobile? how much do you put on it each week?

Do you think 2 hours is expensive now?

The answer I got is 'I'll speak to my husband'

I answer 'you do that, my washing machine works'

Don't get me wrong, I wasn't rude but you can make your point with a little bit of sarcasm and providing you laugh as your saying it you'll get away with it.

MUPPETS, I am hoping the husband does it cocks it up and has to call, it'll be more than 2 hours labour then........

Just been asked to change over a washing machine new tap required for cold, cap off hot water, remove old machine across lino floor, unpackage new machine etc etc.

I explain the problems with valves in airing cupboards to turn off hot supply so you can cap it off properly. May need to drain tank down to do it properly.

I said it'll be a max of 2 hours, (we all know different if you have to drain down tank and get an airlock, prepared to take the loss if there longer)

Give price, HOW MUCH?

Do you go down the pub?

Don't get me wrong, I wasn't rude but you can make your point with a little bit of sarcasm and providing you laugh as your saying it you'll get away with it.

MUPPETS, I am hoping the husband does it cocks it up and has to call, it'll be more than 2 hours labour then........

with anyluck the husband will flood the house

Some people just aren't worth your expertise mate! If someone tries to haggle I don't budge, if they continue I hang up
crazy.gif

I had a freaky one the other day. Looked at a job, worked out a price and told him what it would cost to his face. He completely froze. Staring at me motionless for what seemed like a year but was probably still an excessive full 30 seconds. Like someone had just unplugged him. I've never seen anyone do that before. It actually made me feel dizzy. I couldn't work out what was going on. Then finally he asked, "could you go any lower?" Had he waited another 10 seconds I might have blurted out "Or less, or whatever you want, maybe free ...just PLEASE move... breath.. "

I get a lot of asian customers, specifically asian customers
(I am not a racist, I just notice that everytime I am asked this they are asian, or have an asian accent)

"Is this your final price?"

LOL

I had a freaky one the other day. Looked at a job, worked out a price and told him what it would cost to his face. He completely froze. Staring at me motionless for what seemed like a year but was probably still an excessive full 30 seconds. Like someone had just unplugged him. I've never seen anyone do that before. It actually made me feel dizzy. I couldn't work out what was going on. Then finally he asked, "could you go any lower?" Had he waited another 10 seconds I might have blurted out "Or less, or whatever you want, maybe free ...just PLEASE move... breath.. "[/QUOT
Ha...ha... excellent

one asian customer with me done that "are you sure this is your final price ? you give me good price i give you job, i just had to pay £xxxx fixing my car, blah blah blaaaah"

and guess what, I didn't get the job lol

he probibly payed a romainian guy to do it..

i swear right, this is the god honest truth .... just soon into starting myself i was doing a heating system, trying to feed 15mm hep under the floor theres actully no space under this floor so so tight, so am sweating, pushing, cursing away ... bursting wee bits here and there.. as u do ...

when it came to connecting up the rads he just kept commenting on how i was doing it, and i should do it like this, and his mate has it like this, and this is the best bit... when i was struggling, dropping my tools, tripping over my own feet, trying get the pipe through, he sat, on a chair, infront of me staring right at me, peeling a bloody orange!! it took a lot to recover from this .... oh, and he was asian.

Ive got one at the minute on a extension im on wants me to move some rad pipes and leave and quote " some connections for that pipe u use in the floor that comes wrapped up so we could have some heating in the floor". This is the floor of a new extension that they are talking about digging up to run some pipe through to ask as under floor ( smacks head against wall )

Told them i aint leaving no connections and once we leave they can do what the hell they like but i aint having anything to do with the system if they start tinkering

secret, not saying any of your post is wrong at all, but when capping the hot supply to a now unused washing machine, it is easier to simply fit a 3/4" brass cap rather than a 15mm blank as it is easier to screw it on to the valve and remove the handle than turn the water off and remove the valve, usually have one lying in the bottom of the tool box,

Anyone can be a "busy fool" and do 14 jobs a week for little cost (and profit). It's better to do 7 jobs a week for a decent cost (and profit).
These people that try to haggle with what you are worth are the very ones that would throw a wobbly if you employed their services and tried to do the same.
I am a business not a charity.

Anyone can be a "busy fool" and do 14 jobs a week for little cost (and profit). It's better to do 7 jobs a week for a decent cost (and profit).
These people that try to haggle with what you are worth are the very ones that would throw a wobbly if you employed their services and tried to do the same.
I am a business not a charity.

i agree, and appreciate im in a different position to a lot of people when quoting work, but simply put, i measure what you need after discussing it with you, i go away and sort a price out, so its a take it or leave it, unless you didnt realise it would be so expensive for something you want, and we agree to change the spec etc, but if you ask me to simply drop my price i cant do it, because to simply cut my price i am then admitting to you that i was ripping you off with the original price, my price isnt plucked out of the air, it is a fair and honest calculation of the time and material for me to do as you ask, its like the dreaded double glazing salesmen who quote 10k, then 8k then 6k then when they phone the area manager they get you a one off deal tonight only of £3200, do they think we are mental,
this reminds me of a story i heard on the double glazing salesman in a wee glasow couples flat trying to sell them double glazing (and if it isnt true i should be)
as above first price 10k, then 8k etc etc, the old guy just sits there listening and eventually the sales guy jumps up and says "look, you are a cracking couple and i want to help you out here, my manager is a right so and so, but if i can phone him now he might give me the go ahead to do the once a month offer he signs off for £3200" so the salesman moves towards the phone on the table next to the wee guy, he presses the buttons and yabbers away on the phone " hi boss, its me, look what about the once a month offer for this cracking wee couple? what you will? thats fantastic i will tell them, cheers" he comes off the phone and says "he agrees" the old guy looks at him, and says "thats brilliant son, really really amazin, i really cannae believe it" the salesman then gets ready to sign the old guy up when the old guy says "no son i dont mean the price, i mean you getting to talk on that phone, its been cut off for about 6 months cause we cannae afford to pay the bill"
the sales guy just packs his sales stuff up and walks out without saying another word

Last edited by a moderator:
That's brilliant Kirkgas and in a language that I can understand too! LOL

i agree, and appreciate im in a different position to a lot of people when quoting work, but simply put, i measure what you need after discussing it with you, i go away and sort a price out, so its a take it or leave it, unless you didnt realise it would be so expensive for something you want, and we agree to change the spec etc, but if you ask me to simply drop my price i cant do it, because to simply cut my price i am then admitting to you that i was ripping you off with the original price, my price isnt plucked out of the air, it is a fair and honest calculation of the time and material for me to do as you ask, its like the dreaded double glazing salesmen who quote 10k, then 8k then 6k then when they phone the area manager they get you a one off deal tonight only of £3200, do they think we are mental,
this reminds me of a story i heard on the double glazing salesman in a wee glasow couples flat trying to sell them double glazing (and if it isnt true i should be)
as above first price 10k, then 8k etc etc, the old guy just sits there listening and eventually the sales guy jumps up and says "look, you are a cracking couple and i want to help you out here, my manager is a right so and so, but if i can phone him now he might give me the go ahead to do the once a month offer he signs off for £3200" so the salesman moves towards the phone on the table next to the wee guy, he presses the buttons and yabbers away on the phone " hi boss, its me, look what about the once a month offer for this cracking wee couple? what you will? thats fantastic i will tell them, cheers" he comes off the phone and says "he agrees" the old guy looks at him, and says "thats f'kin brilliant son, really really amazin, i really cannae believe it" the salesman then gets ready to sign the old guy up when the old guy says "no son i dont mean the price, i mean you getting to talk on that phone, its been cut off for about 6 months cause we cannae afford to pay the bill"
the sales guy just packs his sales stuff up and walks out without saying another word
haha loved that story

even if it isnt true, you so want it to be, dont you, cause we have all met these salesmen, but thats my point we have all met them but we aint them, so my price is £xyz, take it or leave it

A lot of people will earn at least £20 - £30k, sometimes for each partner, so I think I will say to the next cheeky person who asks for cheap rates, - I will work for half their single wage, + all costs to me, which includes van & fuel expenses, tools costs, etc, etc. Might make a lot of them realise what actual wage a plumber gets.

secret, not saying any of your post is wrong at all, but when capping the hot supply to a now unused washing machine, it is easier to simply fit a 3/4" brass cap rather than a 15mm blank as it is easier to screw it on to the valve and remove the handle than turn the water off and remove the valve, usually have one lying in the bottom of the tool box,

Totally agree, if, the pipe is visible. If not I prefer to cap it off, again if possible (can't get water out of the pipe etc).

Downside if its capped off with a 15mm blank and you get an airlock you've (I've) made my life quite awkward. I just prefer it as a permanent solution.

Aaaaaaahhhhhh damned if you do and damned if you don't

it always makes me laugh when i remember seeing some window sales persons doing the "ill phone my gaffa and see if i can get a better discount" and then after a phone call they can suddenly give you an extra 10% off if you sign today.

i have a cheek blugger clause, if you ask for a discount i will add 5% to my price. I should really put it in my small print :)

i had the same today with van insurance, had to phone the "underwriter" to get the price down. still too dear so after their phone bill was boosted by some twenty minutes to my mobile they still didn't get a sale.

If you ain't got a ¾ cap saw the plastic nut off the end of the old hot hose. Pull the washer and the plastic bit out and put a 10p and the washer in. Cadge the 10p from the cust or add it to your bill (+ tax and vat =16p) The nut from an old rad valve is ¾ too so keep some.

Give price, HOW MUCH?

Do you go down the pub?

Alway's best capping end of h/w valve with 3/4 female just incase there is ever an airlock alway's handy

Someone phoned me up yesterday and said they had a small quick job. Alarm bells begin with that phrase alone. It usually translates as "I want it cheap." A radiator doesn't get hot. They don't know if it ever has. I said I'd start by checking if the valves work but it could become a longer investigative process. How much would the first part cost? A minimum of £40. Could be more. I got a response like I'd said £500. What precisely do these people expect? Most people it seems are capable simultaneuosly believing plumbers earn 50k a year and also that they charge a tenner to come and fix something.

Good posts, going to look at a job later, the chap said to me last night, it will only take you 2 hours!!! I said, if it's that easy why don't you do it!!! but again trying to get a cheaper price before he's even let me around to look! Also, more work to come, yeah, right! Makes me smile but as I am not plumbing ful time I can aford smile as at this time I have a fullt time job but when I am plumbing full time I am sure my smile will turn into a scowl.

Best wishes all.

Rocket

Last edited by a moderator:
Good posts, going to look at a job later, the chap said to me last night, it will only take you 2 hours!!! I said, if it's that easy why don't you do it!!! but again trying to get a cheaper price before he's even let me around to look! Also, more work to come, yeah, right! Makes me smile but as I am not plumbing ful time I can aford smile as at this time I have a fullt time job but when I am plumbing full time I am sure my smile will turn into a scowl.

Best wishes all.

Rocket

Backs up straight away when I hear "small job for you to look at, won't take you long" also with the "I've got a lot more work to come". A jobs a job and is priced accordingly, if they think I'm too expensive then they can foxtrot oscar and find somebody else. It's the same with "well how much for cash", well it's actually more because the bank charges me more for paying in cash than it does for a cheque!

I might sound a twisty sod, but I do enjoy my work and do smile............99% of the time. :)

Got to agree with SimonG. If they ask `How much for cash?` I say the price Ive quoted is for cash. Any other form of payment is plus £20. I also do free on site estimates. The look on their faces when you ask for £40 for a written one is priceless. The old chestnut `It will only take you about 10 minutes` gets replied to with `If thats the case, I have quite a few jobs like that you can do for me then.` Never fails to shut them up.

Last edited:
Back in the 90's my old man used to do bits and pieces for a guy called Mario, who had a chippy and a couple of house's. I didnt matter what the job was or the cost Mario would always haggle £10 of the final price. After the first time my dad would add £20 to the cost to compensate for Mario the captain of industry, chopper.

Trying to get a lower price is a sign of the times. Or maybe everyone here just pays their insurance renewal quote without looking around?

General public think we are the same. Just price correctly and stand by it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Your too expensive..... in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I was stupid enough not to check the position of the pipes under the tiles when installing a toilet and drilled right through the center of a 16 mm copper water pipe. I exposed the pipe by removing a ~30cm section of the plastic sleeve and a ~10 cm section of the pipe around the hole. Several...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m planning to pour a 100mm deep concrete patio on 100mm hardcore. In order to achieve the same final height to line up with the rest of the patio, I...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I'm would like to extend an existing outside tap to another point in the garden. I'm about to pour a concrete patio and was hoping to run the water line underneath. There are existing drain (and who knows what) pipes running along the same wall so I'm nervous about digging too far...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock