Users can remove all display ads (not sponsors) for a small fee. Click for info (must be logged in)
  • Thread starter REDSAW
  • Start date
  • Replies 35
  • Views 2K

Discuss yorkie's in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

REDSAW

have to ask this question.....

can you use solder ring's on cold feeds?.

if so, how do you know if the ring is not lead especially if its been in the box for a long time.:)

and if so, so then, is the water regs considering this point an un regulated farce out of new builds?.

that is a very good question to which i would like to know the answer

To my knowledge all new ones lead free, if your not sure don't use , use them on gas instead .

I'm sure they have a spray that detects if it's lead or lead free fittings

All Yorkshire solder ring fittings that are lead free are marked with the YP logo and are designed for potable water.

They are the original and best and I threw out all the cheap copy versions that I had in stock as the solder was running inside to the pipework and getting to appliances and causing major damage, even after flushing. The cheap Screw fix ones have a poor grade of solder and I knew a few 22mm ones to weep. In my 30 odd years in plumbing, these cheap copies are the only solder ring fittings I've ever had problems with.

Look for the small & type stamp as Eco's picture. Yorkies have been lead free for probably over 20 years.

They also have to comply with BS864-2 which is lead free

Here is an original 1970's yorkie with leaded solder

york old 2-1.jpgyork old 1-1.jpg

And a comap cheapie unleaded

Comap-1.jpg

cannot believe that you/we as professional plumbers do not know wether you are using a lead free fitting ????? this thread should be moved out of the public view IMHO end of rant!!!!!

Last edited:
To my knowledge all new ones lead free, if your not sure don't use , use them on gas instead .

so lets look for a 15mm elbow to finish the job of and go home!.
oh no, i dont have a y 'p' under the magnifying glass, better to get to the merchant at 4;55pm then.

or is this just me, especially when 2 feet away there is a 7Lb lead mains feed?.

in the real world do any of you check?. or even still, polish the fitting so you can check?.

by the way i only use e/f.!.

Last edited by a moderator:
You can't buy leaded yorkies anymore so there is no problem for those who don't know the difference.

I only have the old leaded tees as i was given a couple of boxes of them by an old dear who's (deceased) man was a plumber and they were lying in the shed.
I know the difference tho.
Btw it is about 10p extra in scrap weight per fitting for those who don't:lol:

Redsaw I for one don't have any soldered fittings left from circa 1985 when lead free was introduced. Still have a few straps of grade D wiping solder though.

so it looks like the ones i do have will be ok then if pushed to finish a job then as they came from the scrappie. as you know they dont hang around.lol.

tamz, got to be a jock for having fitting leftover for 40 years ago..lol.

Being serious here.
The use of leaded solder is a great concern to the authorities and can have serious consequences for the company if misused.
The Scottish lads will remember the case about 7 or 8 years ago of the big site plumber from Falkirk area (MF) who had over 40 guys working for him and was issuing them with leaded solder for use on heating and gas. Unfortunately the plumbers didn't care what solder they used on what. To them solder was solder. There was a kick up over it after some householder found out leaded solder had been used in her new house (easily checked with a bit paper). This resulted in the plumber being forced to repipe hundreds of houses (he didn't personally as he went out the game).
There is a lot of pressure to stop the sale of leaded solder completely for this reason.

Little odds about the odd leaded fitting in a house covered in older ones!
Still a lot of old fittings about. I got a load of plumbing fittings that were mostly "brand new" but from the 50s & 60s! Lovely quality, heavy stuff, but I had to scrap most of it, as it was imperial. One thing was a cistern still in box, with brass overflow stand pipe & ball valve, brass screws for wall & a chromed heavy brass handle with gum with oil over it to protect it from damage! Changed times!

Being serious here.
The use of leaded solder is a great concern to the authorities and can have serious consequences for the company if misused.
The Scottish lads will remember the case about 7 or 8 years ago of the big site plumber from Falkirk area (MF) who had over 40 guys working for him and was issuing them with leaded solder for use on heating and gas. Unfortunately the plumbers didn't care what solder they used on what. To them solder was solder. There was a kick up over it after some householder found out leaded solder had been used in her new house (easily checked with a bit paper). This resulted in the plumber being forced to repipe hundreds of houses (he didn't personally as he went out the game).
There is a lot of pressure to stop the sale of leaded solder completely for this reason.
this also happened to a council subbie who did some contract work on my mothers house.. i reported him and he lost the contract thankfully

so it looks like the ones i do have will be ok then if pushed to finish a job then as they came from the scrappie. as you know they dont hang around.lol.

tamz, got to be a jock for having fitting leftover for 40 years ago..lol.

It is amazing the stuff i have lying around.
I even have a few original imperial yorkie fittings (i have one in the van that finds its way onto a job from time to time but i keep it just in case, i actually forget it is there and use CU9's) Still have a few original unused PDM fittings (worth more for their bush brass weight). Some original coppertone waste fittings lying somewhere in a bag. I throw nothing out.+
Btw if anyone wants to buy a paraffin blow lamp i am your man. I've got a full box of them i bought off ebay one night i was on the whisky :lol:

There are still applications that require lead solder. I use it for welding lead pipe to copper pipe when making up roof outlet pipes. Doubt in the forseeable future if it will be taken off sale.

They are trying to do it tho because it continues to be misused.
Lets be honest. If you were on a job trying to get it finished and had a couple of joints to do but had run out of lead free whoud you go back the next day or use the leaded stuff you had?
I have yet to meet the guy who would go back the next day. It wouldn't happen.

Grade D is different altogether. Not may would use it on a fitting.

Use end feed fittings, - that way you can use lead solder on heating.

Was just thinking, :- what if you did need one fitting to finish & all you had was an old leaded Yorkshire, - would it be legal to pull the lead solder out of it, clean with steel wool, & end feed it with lead free?
That's my story & I am sticking by it! :grin:

nice one tamz, have got half a dozen sievert ones

I had to do a search of this site to find the photo as i can't find it on my pc but i found it.

A wee sample of my collection.
parrafin lamps.jpg

A tenner each if anyone wants one :lol:

Also if i have a yorkie solder ring fitting without the yp marked on it where is it legal to use it in a domestic house?

on any pipe that doesnt carry potable water, i.e gas or heating pipes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to yorkie's in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello plumbers in my internet. So the Mrs want a spray mixer tap in the kitchen as we had two separate taps. I changed the tap for a temporary two...
Replies
Views
Good morning all, Just a quick one, ive recently been asked to fit a new fire in a property, there was one in previously but was removed simply...
Replies
Views
I was stupid enough not to check the position of the pipes under the tiles when installing a toilet and drilled right through the center of a 16...
Replies
Views
Had conventional boiler and tanks removed last year and new combi fitted and just recently had it serviced but the guy who did it has given me a...
Replies
Views
I live in an apartment with a cold water tank. The cold water tank feeds the cold water tap in the sink and the bath. Recently, I refurbished my...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock