Users can remove all display ads (not sponsors) for a small fee. Click for info (must be logged in)

Discuss Wouldn't want to be in his shoes. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

Millsy 82

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
I got a phone call yesterday the bloke sounding quite sheepish "I have tried to fit my bathroom suite and the pipes are too long and I don't feel comfortable doing it" I said "yes I can be out in the morning to have a look then I can give you a rough idea on price".

So I get out this morning and his wife is there nice and happy and joking about her husband, I got given an A4 sheet with a list of things that need doing so I go up and look at it. More than just a few pipes need cutting back so work out a rough price.

As soon as I said it's about a days work the smile got smaller and then I said it will be between £250-300 the smile vanished and she said "oh that's a bit more than we expected, he said he could do it the idiot!"

I chuckled all the way back to the merchants thinking she is going to kill him later.

Love jobs like that.

Had a bloke phone me at about 3.30 on a Friday afternoon. Cloakroom basin taps. He had been on since 9.00 that morning and flooded the house twice. I was just heading home, but took pity. Basin was hanging off the wall and water everywhere. 45 mins and job sorted just as his wife got in from work.

He was bricking it and she wasnt happy with the bill.

I actually hate those jobs because the second someone has had a crack at something themselves you don't know how hard it will be to put right. Fine if you're allowing loads of time for it and get a decent price accepted but when it's something small and you're busy you spend the whole job praying it won't become a bigger pig than you expected and set you back.

When its a dig somebody out the poop its always expensive.

Where's Red Adair when you need him.

Same for me guys, nothing worse than finding a macerator in bits and a customer who can`t be clear what the problem was at the start. Remember one where the cistern was letting a little water run in to the pan > pump and they took it apart because they read on the internet that the membrane was the reason for the pump to kick in every hour.

A plumber friend had a call years ago from, I think, the wife of a bloke who had tried to change his bath taps. Her husband had thought it would be simple enough, but it was the older type taps that were 1/2" or so longer - so the pipes were that bit too short! Think he had spent a couple of days at it & had slackened the feet of the cast iron bath to try & lower it & everything went wrong & no water in house & he was stressed out. On a serious point, the poor guy was having problem then with his nerves.
My friend said he arrived & just adjusted bath level & repiped, all in about an hour to the disbelief of the guys wife.
Just remembered another one - an elderly customer said his son had tried to do a new plumb for a washing machine, in the days when they were hot & cold supply.
He said his son had turned the hot feed-cyl stopcock on cwt off but had serious difficulty soldering a tee onto hot pipe because water kept running through the pipe. He hoped it would hold water.
Asked him did his son have the heating on at same time ?......:smile:

Had to sort a wall hung pan other week that was leaking, rather than use a frame it had been hung on 2'' * 2'' with m12 stud put through it with a concealed cistern all tiled in, was a right job and was asking myself wtf am i doing here. Had to wedge the soil pipe and flush pipe with battern as obviously kept pushing back.

My favourite was a painter. Nice enough bloke e type to logic. He did his own pipework... Filling was taking ages, utility room 150mm of water in! Ha ha looked for cause...... No inserts and collars missing. Fixed it. DHW poped. .... Under bath and ooh errrr no inserts. Friday afternoon TA tar. He told his wife to do one, as we left she let rip

The disbelief on the wife's face as you cruise in and out and sort something the bloke's spent 2 days off work trying to sort, that's the only good bit about those jobs. It's actually one of the unexpectedly good things I've found about the job. Makes you feel like a man. A filthy, half-broken, stressed-to-hell man who jumps at the sound of an automatic air freshner and is too scared to answer his phone of an evening - but a man nonetheless.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Wouldn't want to be in his shoes. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

S
Hi, I seemed to have a blockage in kitchen sink. A plumber came and cleared all the pipework that is visible inside my home (there was debris and...
Replies
Views
Sonya K
S
Fitted unvented hotwater cylinder building control looking forms signed it off job was in england i am qualified northern ireland send out a form...
Replies
Views
Copper pipes, I think its fair to say, is not what it used to be, the copper is getting thin while the cost is going up. Meanwhile, plastic...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4...
Replies
Views
Just started gound work on self build bungalow and wondering best way to do below ground soil pipes. For toilet I was going to go straight down...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock