Search the forum,

Discuss working self employed, how can I gain my NVQ2? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

snowy1010

Just wondered if anyone could give me a bit of advice please. I'm a 38 year old bloke who is coming to the end of 2 years at college doing a technical certificate. I started doing this as my background was working for various water boards on as a service layer and I'd always fancied training as a plumber, so went to college. When I started the course I asked a lot of questions about the best way to go about gaining experience and qualifications, most of the instructors at the college seemed to think that self employment was a good option. I then made contact with a local plumber/gas engineer who was happy for me to work with him(for a low wage). So I've set up as self employed and been working alongside this guy for 8 months, he's been a great help in regards to me gaining experience and has given me a better rate as my experience is growing and now sends me off to certain jobs on my own. The problem I'm having is that the college now say that to gain my NVQ2 I need to be an employed formal apprentice and have day release to gain my qualification. Just wondered if there is a way that I can get a portfolio other than through a college and how to go about it with out paying through the nose. I'm going to carry on working alongside my bloke but would like the qualification in my back pocket. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

you don't need to be employed to do the nvq. just working in the industry. the college like apprenticeships as they get more money for them! I did my nvq as self employed but was with a private training fracility.

Thanks Alex, that was my understanding but needed some clarification. Just need to find somewhere local now to sign up with. Any idea on cost?

get your mate to act as mentor and sign off your sheets and show your se work to the college nvq trainer.

no idea on cost was many years ago that i did mine, check on the forums on here about reviews of them though and on the web. private training companies are notorious for saying you can take as long as want to do the course, but once you get outside the initial training period they want you to pay more and its not cheap! SO READ THE SMALL PRINT.

Thanks for the replies fellas, my mate was happy to be my mentor but the college still need me to have 1 day a week at college, which means losing a days money each week. I feel like I'm bucking the system by trying to get qualified without going to college but the reality is that I've got kids to feed so gotta work. Took a long while to get a bloke who was willing to sign me off but then the College move the goalposts! Frustrating, but at least I'm earning. Cheers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to working self employed, how can I gain my NVQ2? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I have approx 2 weeks work in kingston i need a qualified plumber to assist me with starting on the 30th may. must be self employed, own tools transport etc. good day rates paid. potential for more work after this job. please get in touch. Regards Alex
Replies
Views
A
Hi all I'm a limited company that's been running for 12 years and I have a lot of ongoing work, 99% commercial, and a lot of it plumbing, in London and the Southeast I'm looking for an experienced self employed engineer (or another ltd company like myself), own transport, tools etc. good rates...
Replies
Views
I'm looking for a commercial gas engineer to assist with servicing, callouts etc. work is mostly london based but also have sites in kent/essex. I am a ltd company thats been running for 12 years and am now looking to expand. Ideally im looking for someone who is self employed (or another ltd...
Replies
Views
Neil Ambrose
N
E
Hello All, I`m currently on my level two plumbing course at college and I`m looking for some part time work if anyone could offer me some advice. I`ve been trying to get on an apprenticeship but I`ve had no joy so far, so I`m hoping to gain some experience by working alongside an experienced...
Replies
Views
Ellis J
E
I’m finding it hard breaking into the industry. I’m a trainee plumber living in London Hello, I'm a trainee plumber who lives in London who's found it challenging trying to find a place to work, or gain experience in order to obtain my nvq level 2 even though I've passed my level 2 diploma 2...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock