Search the forum,

Discuss It’s hard breaking into the industry. Any help? in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

I’m finding it hard breaking into the industry. I’m a trainee plumber living in London

Hello,

I'm a trainee plumber who lives in London who's found it challenging trying to find a place to work, or gain experience in order to obtain my nvq level 2 even though I've passed my level 2 diploma 2 years ago at college. A lot of companies won’t take you on because I don’t have a lot of experience but how would I gain experience when no one wants to take me on?

I may be wrong but im starting to think a lot of ways to break into the industry isn’t what you know but who you know.

I'm young and im eager to prove myself. I chose a career in plumbing because I want to work in a job that provides me with new challenges each day which i feel i wasnt getting in alot of the other jobs I've done throughout the years.

I know I will make a great addition to any plumbing company as I earnestly want to become a plumber. Some people apply just for the sake of it, iam not one of those people. Ive taken all the necessary steps to become one, achieving my level 2 diploma, water regulations etc. Spending a lot money, time, energy and resources.

I've been driven by this one singular goal for the last 3 years. I've being living and sleeping about it. Constantly envisioning the day a plumbing company would give me an opportunity to prove myself a worthy asset but it has proven to be difficult. I’ve definitely found it quite disheartening to say the least.

I’m writing this to see if anyone would want to take me on as a trainee or knows knows someone I could work with for free. I will clean the work sites, fetch tools, drive to screwfixes etc. That way it would benefit both parties. They could get the satisfaction of imparting their knowledge and experience to someone who would be eternally grateful.

Many thanks

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Start out as an apprentice / on an application wage etc ?

It's definitely who you know rather than what you know. Truck is finding the right people.
Get yourself down the trade counters first thing, copies of a CV, add in why you want to work and also your transport status. I.e. do you drive.
Then just pester the life out of everybody that comes in.

It's definitely who you know rather than what you know. Truck is finding the right people.
Get yourself down the trade counters first thing, copies of a CV, add in why you want to work and also your transport status. I.e. do you drive.
I appreciate the response.

Reply to It’s hard breaking into the industry. Any help? in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m planning to pour a 100mm deep concrete patio on 100mm hardcore. In order to achieve the same final height to line up with the rest of the patio, I...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock