Discuss Worcester alternative - is there? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Knappers

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
I'm a Worcester man, mostly due to the proper load compensation and built in weather comp on the wave and now easy control.
Is there another boiler/control combo that works so well together???
I know all about open therm but are there any controls and boilers that make GOOD use of the protocols and why isn't it a much bigger thing!?

Go on, i'm not a fan of either but what are my options with controls?
I want a nice low return temp just to keep the place ticking over at around 20deg without cycling

Can anyone point me in the direction of another boiler and control that will modulate it's output in relation to room temperature, similar to a commercial HVAC system with blending valves but using the gas valve/fan speed to modulate....?

Worcester does!

I want a nice low return temp just to keep the place ticking over at around 20deg without cycling

The duty-cycle under these conditions depends on the minimum power output from the boiler. IIRC, most of the current domestic Worcesters are in the range 7-8kW. If your house requires less than this, which is likely at the start and end of the heating season, a Worcester is going to be cycling on and off in any event.

Viessmann and Vaillant boilers tend to have wider modulation ranges and hence lower minimum powers than comparable Worcesters although one obviously needs to check the details on a case-by-case basis.

Last edited:
Ok to clarify, I'd find some cycling acceptable just not as the primary method of load compensation.
Does anyone get what I'm talking about here?

Yep that looks nice!
Will have to look into it more, what's the after sales service like in the UK?
(I like Worcester's long hours and quick pickup, but it's not that important I guess)
Not going back to vaillant for a good while but I've never fitted Viessmann

Customer service is not as good as vaillants have not used Worcester much so can't comment

Customer service is not as good as vaillants have not used Worcester much so can't comment
I had a view bad experiences with Worcester and therefore the aftercare is bad to me. I stick to Vaillant and viessmann which have a great aftercare.

Have been told Weissmann have a stainless steel heat exchanger that will last longer, especially in Combi boiler CH systems ... is that a deciding factor ... and what about in regular + hot water cistern systems?

Have no history on comparable service or warranty factors ... all comments appreciated

Have been told Weissmann have a stainless steel heat exchanger that will last longer, especially in Combi boiler CH systems . is that a deciding factor . and what about in regular + hot water cistern systems?

Have no history on comparable service or warranty factors . all comments appreciated

Every engineer has a favorite boiler or 2, Viessmann does have a SS heat ex with a 10 year warranty yes.

Deciding factors are based a many things, budget and the customers ability to listen is key.
I hate the jobs where they tell you they want the best boiler fitting which happens to be a worcester, i always ask "how did you arrive at that conclusion" never had a decent reply to my question yet lol

No affiliation or preference and never want one. Don't care what the customer chooses. If they don't care what goes in, it comes down to budget. Labour costs the same to install a vokera as a worcester so that's all that really matters to me.

I've had a different experience and find Worcester technical is almost always the quickest to answer.
Stainless is harder wearing but aluminium has better heat transfer and is good as long as water quality remains ok.
I'm going to have a proper look into the technical specs in the New year as I think load compensation is massively under-rated for efficiency and comfort.
Good load and weather compensation has been something I've recommended as a necessity long before the new regs.
I think just throwing in whatever the customer asked for is fine as long as you advise on what the best options are and the benefits, if they ignore you fine but (IMO) not to advise just shows a lack of care for the customer and lack of pride in your work!

Reply to Worcester alternative - is there? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.
Back