Users can remove all display ads (not sponsors) for a small fee. Click for info (must be logged in)

Discuss Will this pan need to come out to change the fill valve? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

armyash

Esteemed
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Subscribed
Changing the fill valve on this tomorrow night, anyone familiar with the wc? Looks like the pan may have to come out to change fill valve or am i mistaken?

20150221_170657.jpg20150221_170541.jpg20150221_170548.jpg

Last edited:
What's the filler you may be able to just swap the top like on a fluid master

love it when lads do a bit of boxing in and keep maintenance at the forefront of their mind !

If it was me I'd take a hammer to the boxing in
yeah on more than one occasion the boxing in has broken on me despite my best efforts! must have been because they did such an excellent job of sticking it together

have edited first post and added pics of the fill valve. they are not the best pics.

hmmm I wonder what that scrubbing brush is for ???????? dont touch it with barehands ash!

I'm pretty sure that one doesn't come apart. That's a shame

[DLMURL]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S_-tXjgYPlc[/DLMURL]

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks guys, doing the fill valve and changing kitchen taps, Could be a late one tomorrow night.

You don't particularly need to take it out as you could just repair it in 10 minutes if it turns you on but there is no money in repairs these days.
Btw when you refit it do a better job of thier silicon :wink:

Well that didn't go as smooth as i liked.

Pan was cemented to the floor, the carpet is laid on top of an old tiled floor, The skirting board and boxing sits behind the old tiles on the floor, it was all so tight. Took out the smallest piece of boxing first that I could - to the left of the pan, levering it out with nail bar. It was so tight it pushed out the section of plaster board wall it was next to.

The boxing was all resting on bits of baton and packers. The fact it was so tight to the toilet and the old tiles is what was holding it all up. Could barely get to the wing nuts but finally managed to undo them. The old fill valve was on a flex which i managed to undo eventually.

Changing the fill valve was the easy bit, put the cistern back and secured it, turned the water on no leaks.......until i flushed it!! The pan connector had been held to the pan tightly by having a bit of baton wedged between it and the wall and this had been knocked loose when removing the boxing but took me a while to figure it out. After messing about trying to get the rubber seal sitting right, the pan con going in to the waste pipe started to feel scarily loose - the other end of the pan con had come loosed from it's rubber too. grrrrr pulling hair out now! Finally managed to get it all put back together with nothing leaking but the boxing all taken apart.

After longer than i would have liked, i explained everything to the customer, who was very understanding and said these things happen. (yeah to me too often lol)

Going back tomorrow night to put the boxing back together and repair the plaster board wall.

Oh yeah and do the kitchen taps which i didn't have time for tonight.

oh well got to laugh! taking in to account all the extra work, i have seriously undercharged but still it's better than not working and it will teach me to check for things like if the wc is cemented in and check boxing/access etc.

Last edited:
Jobs like that never go smooth don't give a price forthat sort of work and if you have to a bloody good one that you hopefully can't lose at

But it's all experience ash you will remember that one lol

Pan was cemented to the floor, the carpet is laid on top of an old tiled floor, The skirting board and boxing sits behind the old tiles on the floor, it was all so tight. Took out the smallest piece of boxing first that I could - to the left of the pan, levering it out with nail bar. It was so tight it pushed out the section of plaster board wall it was next to.

The boxing was all resting on bits of baton and packers. The fact it was so tight to the toilet and the old tiles is what was holding it all up. Could barely get to the wing nuts but finally managed to undo them. The old fill valve was on a flex which i managed to undo eventually.

Changing the fill valve was the easy bit, put the cistern back and secured it, turned the water on no leaks.......until i flushed it!! The pan connector had been held to the pan tightly by having a bit of baton wedged between it and the wall and this had been knocked loose when removing the boxing but took me a while to figure it out. After messing about trying to get the rubber seal sitting right, the pan con going in to the waste pipe started to feel scarily loose - the other end of the pan con had come loosed from it's rubber too. grrrrr pulling hair out now! Finally managed to get it all put back together with nothing leaking but the boxing all taken apart.

After longer than i would have liked, i explained everything to the customer, who was very understanding and said these things happen. (yeah to me too often lol)

Going back tomorrow night to put the boxing back together and repair the plaster board wall.

oh well got to laugh! taking in to account all the extra work, i have seriously undercharged but still it's better than not working and it will teach me to check for things like if the wc is cemented in and check boxing/access etc.
You can never allow for certain things ash, especially when things are bodged like that mate, take it as one of those $hit jobs . Everyone on here has had at least one of them !

Always carry a few spare donut washers get yourself into ray's place and get scot to sort you some out. Actually while I'm down the shed at the weekend I'll see if I can dig you a few out of the abyss that is gasmanrob & co trade only... Oh and get some plumbers mait while your there

Repairing this small section of plasterboard and putting the boxing back together will be good experience for me, it's not the type of thing I usually get to do in work. Will take my time, might need a lick of paint when i'm finished but i have told him he can do that.

Otherwise before i know it i'll be washing up and hoovering for him before i leave.

bet your looking forward to anotherone tomorrow aint ya!lol

did one today, took me 3 bloody hours!!!

never give a price for anything you cant see explain that until you start you cant know whats there i always say if it goes well it will be x or if its more involved so much per hour

It's a armitage shanks. Here's the part Armitage Shanks 8½" Bottom Entry Fill Valve | Fill & Flush Valves | NoLinkingToThis
Sorry if I had seen this yesterday might of saved a lit of ball ache.

It's a armitage shanks. Here's the part Armitage Shanks 8½" Bottom Entry Fill Valve | Fill & Flush Valves | NoLinkingToThis
Sorry if I had seen this yesterday might of saved a lit of ball ache.

Thanks.

For anyone who is interested, I got the boxing put back together better than i thought it would go, i trimmed a few mm off where needed just so i could get it back in to position better. It was all a bit stubborn. Had to replace a section of plasterboard wall - only 310mm x 105mm. A bit off filler and resealing and it looked as good as it could. Obviously where i removed it the silicone had taken paint off it in places but i told him give it a rub down and repaint or i can replace.

The kitchen taps were not straightforward either, could just about undo them as they were badly rusted, plenty of w/m hoses etc in my way. never mind, he more than got his moneys worth and although i was there 4 times longer than i wanted to be he was happy, he saw i did the best i could and the most important thing is it was all working and everything ended well. He was happy to take some business cards and said his mum and dad need some bits doing and he will call me in the future. (won't hold my breath) A couple of late nights and not much earned but good experience.

Next time i will have a proper look at what needs doing and charge accordingly.

Hi Ash,

Make some notes on this job.

Write down your original estimated time and costings and then write down the amount of time the job took you and the material costs.

Whenever you come across another tricky job - refer to these notes.

Don't take this the wrong way, but you could have doubled your estimated labour time and still lost out.
We've all been there, but as the jobs get bigger, the harder they bite you.

Oz

Thanks Oz, appreciate it.

It was a stupid mistake, i said the same thing to my girlfriend i could have charged double labour and still lost out. It was stupid to have a look on a saturday night at the end of a hard day. I just knew the fill valve needed changing and made the assumption that it would be easy enough. I need to start looking at the actual work involved rather seeing that a part needs changing.

If you're new at the game, or new to quoting jobs, always take notes and never give a quote on the spot. ( unless something real easy )
Go home and think about it and don't try to do any favours.
Your time and expertise is valuable to yourself and your family.

Never over estimate your ability because it will cost you.

Just think...if you quoted a job you thought would take you 4 hours and you finished it in 2 hours, would you refund the customer?

Oz

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Will this pan need to come out to change the fill valve? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello, I want to change the system fill valve, but I’m struggling to dismantle the existing toilet to access underneath the tank, I’ve added some...
Replies
Views
Hi, I have just installed a combination all in one WC/small basin…. Out of the fill valve there is a small tube which emits a lot of water...
Replies
Views
Hi there I fitted a Sanicompact 43 about10 years ago. A few years ago i noticed that it would intermittently activate in the middle of the...
Replies
Views
A few years ago I installed a wall hung toilet pan in my last house which did not flush well when disposing of waste solids. The water would rise...
Replies
Views
In our sealed Megalo system, when hot water tap is used (say in bathroom shower) the megaflo is taking in some fresh water, I guess to compensate...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock