Discuss WHY use BOTTLE TRAPS? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
H

hrpuffnstuff

@ work I have 8 basins in the girls shower rooms, 8 in the guys room (making 16 traps in all)
Then this again on 4 more floors

The refurb guys used 1 1/4 bottle traps. going into 1 1/2 then into 2"
I'm forever instruction my team to clean the traps out (espically the girls rooms cause of the hair,
And the smell is ruddy terrible, more so than i have ever come across in all my years.

I wanna know WHY use Bottle traps instead of 'P' traps
(mush less maintenance, as most of the 'crud' goes through the pipes)
YES there are cleaning eyes (2) on all floors.

I want to replace all these traps but need some evidence (from googles) as to why bottle traps should not be used, and the reasons.

Any help please?
I have googled and cant find anything useful to show the directors so as to back up my plans

Bottle traps usually used where you may have to fish things out as they tend to sit in the trap. They were also used on basins as they don't syphon easily.

Get rid of the bottle traps and your bosses might be able to get rid of a man. Less work to do. I'm sure they will be up for that if you suggest it.
What is the problem with just doing the job.

Bottle traps are great as they will guarantee you further work when they have to pay you to come in and routinely unblock them. If you fit P traps you won't get any maintenance work on them.

No, not anti syphon.

Building is 120+ yrs old so my time is better spent maintaining parts of the building that require proper maintenance
(today unblocking 2 x lead 8mtr long downpipes, that had started growing tress in them)
other than girls brushing their hair over the basins and putting their hair down the waste rather than the bin which is less than 1mtr away from them.:crazy:
tamz bottle traps STILL syphon back unless they are anti syphon ones (see 1st sentence)

I wondered if there was like building regs on WHY some architects recommended bottle traps?

They are good for catching pee in urinals and allow for cleaning of same. P traps float my boat every time as do McAlpine all in one traps.

yes bottles are designed to be easily accessible and allow for regular cleaning etc. P traps are better but.......the stuff will probably only build up further down the system, probably initial horizontal pipework and this can be more difficult and expensive to maintain, hence bottle traps. the trap might be smelly but not as bad as a whole pipe lined with it!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to WHY use BOTTLE TRAPS? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi all, I'm installing a concrete patio out back. By the wall under the kitchen sink I have an existing P-Trap gully for the grey water from the...
Replies
Views
Hi all I really need some help or advise….. Back story….. Some years ago my dad had an extension to his house which included a newly built...
Replies
Views
Hi all, I have 3 brand new MC’ALPINE Untrapped Shower Gully USG2T6SS That I need gone (£40 each or best offer) And I also have 15 embrass peerless...
Replies
Views
P
  • Question
Boiler is SIRIUS THREE FS 70 Potterton commercial. Situation: We are small building contractors and my labourers managed to damage the radiator...
Replies
Views
Hi I've been to a customer today that has a 9 year old baxi duo tec40kw boiler,it runs 20 radiator that all work fine,they have 2 bathrooms and 1...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock