Discuss Why oh why little bungalow… in the Central Heating Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Ok, I’ve just had a chappy around, he’s checked up and down, had his camera out and checked all around and agrees that there must be a whole load of debris in the system, he has suggested a pre treatment to soften up all the gunk, disturb the rads, fit a filter to the system, clean it all out, but he’s also suggested that the air separator(?) be removed as they can bring their own problems, and also something I didn’t even know was a thing, but to remove the gravity side of the system by fitting a pressure reservoir, which should eliminate so much of the rusty sludge side of things because the system wouldn’t be vented anymore. Mind blown.

Ok, I’ve just had a chappy around, he’s checked up and down, had his camera out and checked all around and agrees that there must be a whole load of debris in the system, he has suggested a pre treatment to soften up all the gunk, disturb the rads, fit a filter to the system, clean it all out, but he’s also suggested that the air separator(?) be removed as they can bring their own problems, and also something I didn’t even know was a thing, but to remove the gravity side of the system by fitting a pressure reservoir, which should eliminate so much of the rusty sludge side of things because the system wouldn’t be vented anymore. Mind blown.
sounds like a good starting point. I swear by a powerflush and sometimes pre treat the system if I think it's extremely bad but when a powerflush is done correctly I don't think pre treatment is necessary but that is only an opinion.
Going from a vented system to a pressurized system will certainly help too and a magfilter on the system after powerflushing will keep the system clean. sounds like you have the right man for the job 👌👍

I hope so Dave! The quote has come through and it’s more than I wanted or thought I’d have to spend, but I guess it’s supply and demand at this time of year isn’t it.
I guess it is but prices shouldn't be extortionate either. the price for supplies here in Ireland have gone crazy. not sure if I mentioned before but I had a customer that paid €800 for a powerflush of just 9 radiators and €705 for a kerosene boiler service, 3 weeks later the burner packed up, the motor had gone! I don't know how some people sleep at night charging prices like that.

Well for the pretreatment, new chemicals, power flush, new pump, rad vibrating, filter, separator removal, cleaning out all the upstairs tanks he’s quoted £1200 + vat, and if I want to do away with the vented system that will be another £150 + vat. He has excellent reviews and if that’s a fair price then I’m happy to pay it, but I wouldn’t know one way or the other really!

Well for the pretreatment, new chemicals, power flush, new pump, rad vibrating, filter, separator removal, cleaning out all the upstairs tanks he’s quoted £1200 + vat, and if I want to do away with the vented system that will be another £150 + vat. He has excellent reviews and if that’s a fair price then I’m happy to pay it, but I wouldn’t know one way or the other really!

for the extra 150+vat I'd get rid of the vented system and go with pressurized. they work much more efficiently. I'm about to suggest the same to a customer today.

for the extra 150+vat I'd get rid of the vented system and go with pressurized. they work much more efficiently. I'm about to suggest the same to a customer today.
Yeah I think that’s best, he did warn that there’s more chance of the pipes leaking as the pressure will obviously be greater, it’s extremely unlikely but he said he had to warn me so I can’t go after him if he carries out the work and it happens😂 I was just concerned as to whether the price was in the right area or not.

Yeah I think that’s best, he did warn that there’s more chance of the pipes leaking as the pressure will obviously be greater, it’s extremely unlikely but he said he had to warn me so I can’t go after him if he carries out the work and it happens😂 I was just concerned as to whether the price was in the right area or not.
I price a powerflush depending on the size of the system, bigger the system the more work and chemicals needed. he's also replacing the pump and fitting a filter so that will cost a few quid too. I'm working in euros but I recently flushed a 3 story home with 16 radiators for €500. The customer didn't need a new pump and opted out of getting a filter fitted so it was just a powerflush. I can't really comment on someone else's pricing as I haven't seen your system but what I can say is I've worked on houses that have never had decent heat since they were built and after the powerflush and some work to the systems that were just badly fitted from the start people have commented that it's made their house a home. if his work has the same effect then 1200 is a fair price 👌

Just to update this, the chappy came out and did the work, pressurised the system, cleaned and flushed and the house has never been so warm! He has said it’s best to leave the heating on constantly at low so we’re trying that for now to see how our consumption goes, he’s turned the hot water down as he said it was running mega hot, but we may need to fettle with that a bit as the water doesn’t seem to get hot enough now, but yeah, big dent in the wallet but the house is spot on now. Thanks for the help and info guys.

Pete

Reply to Why oh why little bungalow… in the Central Heating Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi All, In Dec 2023 I had my annual boiler service and asked the plumber to change 2 radiator valves as the radiator in the toilet downstairs was...
Replies
Views
I have a heating system comprised of skirting radiators that form part of a loop from the boiler, round the house and back. Some rooms get...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I live in a flat that has communal heating through a single pipe system. I recently had replaced a deco flat panel (waffle) radiator...
Replies
Views
Hi, I’m replacing my old Honeywell Smartfit system on a oil fired gravity-fed system in a bungalow. I’ve read conflicting advice on gravity fed...
Replies
Views
I am trying to workout in what order my radiators heat up in order to then balance them. I am able to figure out which radiator pipe is the...
Replies
Views

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock