Discuss Why oh why little bungalow… in the Central Heating Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Evening everyone, I’ve got this lovely little bungalow that I’m struggling to get my head around the heating on. It’s a F and E system with 8 radiators, and I’m not really very clued up on central heating, or even plumbing in general, but the whole set up seems quite odd.

The pipe into the main bathroom appears to send down the hot water from above, it then returns the other end, it gets hottest first so I assume that it’s the feed from the boiler, also it’s the only radiator that has a pipe coming from the loft, even though the boiler is on the ground floor, and that’s about the only thing I can be fairly certain of. The rest of the radiators don’t seem to follow any exact pattern, and the ones that get warm pipes first aren’t necessarily the ones where the radiators heat up first.

The most bizarre thing is the hallway radiator, it’s hard to describe but the hot supply seems to go from one pipe to three different radiators, the hallway one, the first living room one which sits parallel to the hallway one, obviously divided by the wall, and one into another room opposite the living room, but in that room the in and out pipes both lead back to the hot supply, and to make things worse the main living room radiator has a TRV fitted to what appears to be the return pipe, and this joins again to the hallway radiator return side.

Now I’ve written all this I’m not even sure what I’m asking really as I know I’ve not given much to go on. I just can’t get all the radiators to work fully, only the main bathroom one seems to be working all the time regardless, the rest are very hit and miss. I want to attempt to balance them but as they seem to change which gets warm first and the pipes disappear through the concrete floor it’s virtually impossible for me to figure out where to go from the bathroom. I can attempt to draw a layout of the house and where the radiators are if that could help but other than that I’m at a bit of a loss guys I’m afraid.

PP

How old is the pump ?

I’m not sure tbh, it’s definitely running but are you aware of any tests I can carry out to see if it’s running correctly? It has 3 stages to it and it’s currently on stage 3. Thank you for your question.

PP

Simple way is use an old screwdriver and see if you can stop it eg remove the bleed screw while it’s pumping with medium pressure push the screwdriver in the bleed port and does it stop ?

Yes some water might come out so and old towel is recommended

Yes some water might come out so and old towel is recommended
Right, sorry for the delay, I’ve finally got around to checking it. The pump can be stopped with quite firm pressure, should it be virtually impossible to stop it when it’s running? If not then I think I applied more than just medium pressure to get it to slow and stop. Thanks again.

Right, sorry for the delay, I’ve finally got around to checking it. The pump can be stopped with quite firm pressure, should it be virtually impossible to stop it when it’s running? If not then I think I applied more than just medium pressure to get it to slow and stop. Thanks again.
You will stop it if you do that. It is single phase and runs by magnetic field so a good amount of pressure will stop any domestic pump.
You can test that the pump is free spinning (sounds like it is) and with the right equipment you can test the capacitor (on older pumps) and voltages to prove they are good. Sometimes it is necessary to remove the motor and inspect the impeller if you still think they aren't performing well enough.

This to me sounds like a one pipe system. I am going off your description of connections. If it is a one pipe system then the radiators will work off gravity and the loop will be pumped.

What are the flow and return from the boiler like? What is the temperature difference between the flow out of it and the return back to it?

Yes pump sounds ok would try balancing

Reply to Why oh why little bungalow… in the Central Heating Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi All, In Dec 2023 I had my annual boiler service and asked the plumber to change 2 radiator valves as the radiator in the toilet downstairs was...
Replies
Views
I have a heating system comprised of skirting radiators that form part of a loop from the boiler, round the house and back. Some rooms get...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I live in a flat that has communal heating through a single pipe system. I recently had replaced a deco flat panel (waffle) radiator...
Replies
Views
Hi, I’m replacing my old Honeywell Smartfit system on a oil fired gravity-fed system in a bungalow. I’ve read conflicting advice on gravity fed...
Replies
Views
I am trying to workout in what order my radiators heat up in order to then balance them. I am able to figure out which radiator pipe is the...
Replies
Views

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock