Search the forum,

Discuss Why is the pump running 24x7 in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

My son has just had a new boiler fitted and hes noticed that the pump runs 24x7 even when both the heating and hot water are set to off.

He’s also found that when the hot water is set to off on the programe timer, the boiler is still heating up water. I wonder if this is because the engineer has set a daily run cycle for the hot water and it’s overriding the ‘set to off’ setting he’s left it in.

All seems very strange.

The system will still be under warranty, he needs to get the installer back to sort him out. Part of the commissioning/benchmark process is to demonstrate and explain the controls to the customer leaving the system setup appropriately for their circumstances.

The system will still be under warranty, he needs to get the installer back to sort him out. Part of the commissioning/benchmark process is to demonstrate and explain the controls to the customer leaving the system setup appropriately for their circumstances.
That’s the issue here, the engineer that’s put it in is saying it’s working correctly but does not seem to be able to answer why the pump runs 24x7 and why call for how water is being made when controls are set to off.

Would be great if an engineer out there could confirm:-

1. Should the central heating pump be running continuously?
2. Should hot water be running when the heating timer is set to off for both water and heating?

My understanding is the call for hot water is made when the timer is set to run and the cylinder thermostat says the water temperature is below the setting set. Call for heating should only happen when the room thermostat setting is above the room temperature and the timer setting is active for the time period. In both cases, W & H are overridden by the timer regardless of the thermostats.

Further more, the heating pump should run when either hot water or heating is called for and not 24x7. Some systems have overrun protection such that for minutes after either hot water or heating is called and then ends the pump will continue to operate to move hot water away from the heat matrix but then after that short period the pump will stop.

The one exception to the above I think is when the boiler low temperature protection is triggered and the boiler fires up to raise the water temperature to protect the system.

I’m not engineer but this is what I understand.

Les

Reply to Why is the pump running 24x7 in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

My central heating is run off a heat pump ( air to water ) quite expensive to run , So I’m plainning to fit a wood burning with a back boiler to connect to the heating system, So while the wood burning on during winter months it will stop the heat pump for working hard Or not all all . My...
Replies
Views
So a strange conundrum regarding water temp if anyone can help resolve, would be much appreciated. Ive tried to give as much info as possible to give a full picture but let me know if ive missed anything. I have a Baxi Avanta 25h heat only boiler. Works fine. Unvented 300ltr megaflow. Stated...
Replies
Views
Hi thank you for letting me join this forum . We have an air to water heat pump but the bungalow is piped in micro bore 10mm pipe which doesn’t look well piped , kinky in pipes in some places ,some of the rad don’t heat up too well , probably because of the badly piped system, the pipe is all...
Replies
Views
Hi. I hope some one can help. I have a condensing oil burner and it runs fine but the radiators don't heat. Heats the hot water fine. The pump runs and the thermostat turns the boiler on and off. Thinking it could be a thermistor. All help greatly appreciated.
Replies
Views
M
Hello, We’ve recently moved into a fairly old, fairly big detached house (i.e. fairly draughty, but not too bad by any means) with a fairly new well maintained Worcester combi boiler. We weren’t convinced the heating was working right and then got hit with a £610 energy bill for the first 6...
Replies
Views
MartinPod81
M
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock