Search the forum,

Discuss Why Aren’t Isolation Valves Compulsory? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
U

uug197h

Studies have shown that the UK wastes an estimated 3 billion litres of water every day, and water bills continue to increase year on year — yet there’s a simple solution that could help the country to significantly reduce its water consumption. Simon Cottom, MD of Cottam & Preedy, highlights the benefits of the company’s CP961 isolation valve.

When we consider water conservation from taps, shouldn’t we be looking at the heart of the problem? For years now the industry has vacillated over the best solution when, for more than a decade, the answer has been staring us in the face, in virtually every plumber’s merchant in the country.

So what is this wonder solution? Quite simply, it’s an isolation ball valve that provides the most reliable, future- proof means of regulating the water flow yet invented. If you haven’t encountered this valve yet, the reasons are not hard to explain. For many plumbers there simply isn’t the perception of a big enough cash return in it for them, and for householders the idea of water saving just isn’t top of the agenda when they are having that new bathroom or kitchen installed.

Yet very significantly, many architects — driven by both performance and ecological concerns — have latched on to the efficiency of these valves and are specifying them in both new-build and refurbishment projects, but that still leaves a vast swathe of missed opportunities.

Time for action

So what is to be done? Surely the only effective answer is legislation. If this seems drastic, just think about the alternatives. A White Paper that simply recommends a preferred flow rate places a big responsibility on a largely unregulated industry.

There are literally thousands of tap designs available to the installer, most of which are chosen by consumers on aesthetic rather than practical grounds. The temptation for installers to cut corners and bend the regulations for the benefit of a happy customer is considerable.

By making the installation of an isolation ball valve with flow rate control capabilities mandatory, all confusion and evasion is instantly eradicated. It really is that simple.

Foolproof solution

Any plumber can purchase a CP961 isolation ball valve and fit it just like any ordinary valve. With the correct cartridge installed, the flow to literally any tap is regulated to exactly the desired volume. Nothing else has to be considered. No calculations, no checking that the tap complies with legislation, no need to think at all, in fact.

It sounds idiot-proof, and it is. But until the control of water flow to taps through isolation valves is made law, it just won’t happen. Human nature will see to that.

And what of the future? Who knows what flow rates will be seen as desirable in ten, twenty or thirty year’s time if the predicted change in climate becomes reality? Once again the CP961 comes into its own. The flow rate can be adjusted in seconds simply by slotting in a different cartridge.

Already, this is a product that carries the Waterwise Marque and is included on the Governments Water Technology List, enabling tax benefits, but perhaps now an even higher level of recognition is appropriate.

In the current climate it is easy to fall into an unfocussed approach to water conservation, but a pause for thought reveals that there is a logical answer which has been overlooked for too long. Isn’t it time that such a fundamentally effective, foolproof solution as the CP961 isolation ball valve should be a mandatory component of our water saving strategies?

PHAM NEWS

I dont always fit em cos there just summat else to go wrong, I was taught that you want the least ammount of compression tee's elbows etc and end feed then theres less weak points where leaking may occur. That may be old school, but tell me it dont make sense

I dont always fit em cos there just summat else to go wrong, I was taught that you want the least ammount of compression tee's elbows etc and end feed then theres less weak points where leaking may occur. That may be old school, but tell me it dont make sense
Your absolutely right mate, not old school at all :)

Probably a numpty question but -
Are we talking about service valves to isolate taps here ? It isn't very clear from the first post :(

Mo

Service valves go onto your feed on your cisterns.

Isolation valves go onto your feed pipework. So to taps - yes :)

They look similar, but principally they do exactly the same :)

i think fitting isolation valves is personal preference i fit the to all appliances as if im called back in the future to change the taps or fix them it mkes it alot easyer if there are isolation valves.

Hi all,

Isolation valves are ok if fitted to commercial premises, for example: would you shut down the hot water services to all rooms, kitchens etc to replace a washer on a hot tap, NO!, so yes isolation valves are good.
But for domestic use, if you look down the center of a isolation valve, penny valve or ballafix valve, whatever you wish to call it, on a 15mm valve the opening must only be 10mm, which is a flow restriction, as on a bath, sink and basin most combination boilers only give between 9 liters and 14 liters a minute, depending on the incoming main.
Would you fit restrictions?:)

P.S

Sorry about that it was litres not liters, sorry:eek:

Last edited by a moderator:
Is that not a gate velve as these are inadequate for mains pressure?:)

gate valves aren't suitable for anything are they!!!

use full flow lever arm Teflon coated ball valves!! shut off every time!!

In my opinion they are good practice but not always essential,

For;

They are so easily isolated, it is within most customers ability to use them to isolate the faulty or leaking appliance until a plumber can get there.
They also of course offer a means of restricting flow rate to individual taps and valves.
On larger and more complicated systems they can save time finding cylinder/tank feed valves in lofts etc...

Against;

Another compression fitting = another potential leak.
How many jobs do you get too where all the isolation valves actually still fully shut off? Very few in my experience.
With most small domestic systems running off instantaneous water heaters (combination boilers) now that are so easily isolated, is there any need for further valves?
Flow restriction.

My 2ps worth.

it is a water regulation to install a service valve on a wc (toilet) but not on any other outlet. which is stupid really as they can all break water regs with wasting water when a tap is not shutting off . but who am i to decide what is or isnt.
really got to get onto work about doing my water regs corse . still havent been put on it only been asking for 2 years

Hi, How far can we take water conservation? The fitting of isolating /service valves has always been a sign of good plumbing. However with the introduction and sales of combi systems to the great unwashed, life times are being wasted waiting for the bath to fill. What happened to the minimum 4 gallons a minuet delivery at a bath tap? I have found on a few occasions, where very high pressure is present, that the noise generated when chocking down a supply to an appliance is unacceptable and resulted in the need of a PRV being fitted to incoming supply. There is no simple answer to conservation. Perhaps bucket and chuck it, is the next campaign? Good Luck

I do new builds, and we always put Isolation Valves before anything. I'll have one on the WC Suite, two on the basin and two combined Isolation/Check Valves on the Bath.

Alway one on the Hot and Cold Feeds, Lever Type (Instead of Gate Valves now).

Under the Kitchen Sink, on incoming main --> lever type also.

So it's happening :)

I think some of us may be talking at cross purposes here. The CP961 whilst being an isolation valves isn't your average 2p a ton ball-o-flow isolation valve. As said it has a cartridge in it that regulates the flow.

The questions to ask I suppose are:

How long does the cartridge last and does it block up?

Plumbers don't want call backs every few months.

It's good practise to fit them of course, but it depends a lot on the system your fitting them too. Some places struggle to get hardly any flow out of any tap, let alone restrict it. On balance though if conditions are right I would say yes they are a good idea.

Hmm

Another point to consider is? Would people pay the extra? After all you only really waste water, if you keep the tap water running down the waste. If your flow is over the recommended flow rate then it obviously fills faster and then the sooner you shut it off. People may get annoyed at you for slowing their water flow.

But you could tell them that any flow rates over the recommended, causes internal pipe erosion?

CP961 isolation ball valve + Legislation?

:)ha ha:Dhahahahaha! yeah right!

If there was a water conservation reg to come out it would probably realte more to an outlet say WHB outlet must be no greater than 4 lpm then manufacturers of WHB outlets would incorporate a flow restriction into ther product, also something like this you could never make retrospective so these CP961 isolation ball valve would never take off as the retrospective application would be its main marketing target.

However i do agree with the conservation of water, its something this country takes for granted.

I always specify flow restrictors for works to be carried out, i designed a new shower block and specified mira showers with a 10 litre flow restriction kit installed, conserves water, costs literally £3-£4 and more importantly makes my life easier for calculating the hot water flow rate and the associated loadings.

Anyone else agree that the quarter turn iso valves start weeping from the screw hole after they've been operated 3-4 times? i always use the quarter turn style ones now!

i my opinion the comulsory fitting of service valves came to late most average sized homes are now totaly mains fed one stopcock efectivly shuts everything down with minimal water loss gone are the days of draining a tank to do a ballvalve or washer
good pipe sizing has the effect of flow regulation most new builds use 10 mm feeds to the basin taps and wc so much easier to get behind a basin pedestal as well

good pipe sizing has the effect of flow regulation

I agree but in my example i was refering to a 36 shower block pipe sizing helps to a degree but to size a plate heat exchanger and boiler you really need some exact flow rates - Building regs part L, conservation of power!

Hi

I hope this doesn't go off the topic.
I have replaced a tap on a kitchen sink this weekend however the two external wire enforced connection hoses came with female thread and the tap I removed had male thread which was connected to the pipe shortly after an isolation valve however the new tap came with two isolation valves ie one for hot and one for cold with male thread on both sides.
Is it ok to fit the second valve onto a section of pipe connecting to the kitchen sink or should I have drained down the system completely and put in new pipes with only the one set of isolation valves?
Water flow did not seem to have been affected.

Isolation valves & service valves all ways fitted on all with the company i worked with , and on all new systems some one had the pleasure of balancing all sinks, basin, baths showers, ect to manufactures instructions :)

Studies have shown that the UK wastes an estimated 3 billion litres of water every day, and water bills continue to increase year on year — yet there’s a simple solution that could help the country to significantly reduce its water consumption. Simon Cottom, MD of Cottam & Preedy, highlights the benefits of the company’s CP961 isolation valve.

When we consider water conservation from taps, shouldn’t we be looking at the heart of the problem? For years now the industry has vacillated over the best solution when, for more than a decade, the answer has been staring us in the face, in virtually every plumber’s merchant in the country.

So what is this wonder solution? Quite simply, it’s an isolation ball valve that provides the most reliable, future- proof means of regulating the water flow yet invented. If you haven’t encountered this valve yet, the reasons are not hard to explain. For many plumbers there simply isn’t the perception of a big enough cash return in it for them, and for householders the idea of water saving just isn’t top of the agenda when they are having that new bathroom or kitchen installed.

Yet very significantly, many architects — driven by both performance and ecological concerns — have latched on to the efficiency of these valves and are specifying them in both new-build and refurbishment projects, but that still leaves a vast swathe of missed opportunities.

Time for action

So what is to be done? Surely the only effective answer is legislation. If this seems drastic, just think about the alternatives. A White Paper that simply recommends a preferred flow rate places a big responsibility on a largely unregulated industry.

There are literally thousands of tap designs available to the installer, most of which are chosen by consumers on aesthetic rather than practical grounds. The temptation for installers to cut corners and bend the regulations for the benefit of a happy customer is considerable.

By making the installation of an isolation ball valve with flow rate control capabilities mandatory, all confusion and evasion is instantly eradicated. It really is that simple.

Foolproof solution

Any plumber can purchase a CP961 isolation ball valve and fit it just like any ordinary valve. With the correct cartridge installed, the flow to literally any tap is regulated to exactly the desired volume. Nothing else has to be considered. No calculations, no checking that the tap complies with legislation, no need to think at all, in fact.

It sounds idiot-proof, and it is. But until the control of water flow to taps through isolation valves is made law, it just won’t happen. Human nature will see to that.

And what of the future? Who knows what flow rates will be seen as desirable in ten, twenty or thirty year’s time if the predicted change in climate becomes reality? Once again the CP961 comes into its own. The flow rate can be adjusted in seconds simply by slotting in a different cartridge.

Already, this is a product that carries the Waterwise Marque and is included on the Governments Water Technology List, enabling tax benefits, but perhaps now an even higher level of recognition is appropriate.

In the current climate it is easy to fall into an unfocussed approach to water conservation, but a pause for thought reveals that there is a logical answer which has been overlooked for too long. Isn’t it time that such a fundamentally effective, foolproof solution as the CP961 isolation ball valve should be a mandatory component of our water saving strategies?

PHAM NEWS

whist im actually in favour of valves and drain off everywhere as they make life easier in the future
im totally against making anything that isnt vital to the presevation of life compulsory we have more than enough rules and regs in place already without some more being added
remember theres a whole department of civil servants trying to thing of schemes to fit the rest of the letters of the alphabet and we are paying for them

In Spain as far as I can see there are isolating valves on everything, with flexiables to the taps. Great but like all fittings depends on the quality, some are jammed up after a year. I remember having to crawl through lofts to find the valves at the back of the storeage tanks because it was the shortest pipe run,all about cost in the end.

Richard

I always prefer to fit flow limiters to reduce consumption. In my area the water pressure is high and cranking down service / isolation valves can cause horrible screeching noises when taps are opened.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Why Aren’t Isolation Valves Compulsory? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Our kitchen mixer tap has started dripping. Like so much of the plumbing in our almost new build bungalow, it is lacking! The plumber didn't install any isolating cocks in the H&C feed to the tap so how can I identify which of the valves is passing? Shut the whole H&C water system down?
Replies
Views
I have a plumber coming tomorrow to change a cartridge on a badly dripping tap on my bathroom mixer unit. There is no separate isolating valve for this tap so I'll have to close the stopcock. I tried closing it today but it won't go absolutely 100% closed and there is still a very slight flow...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock