Search the forum,

Discuss whole house calculation in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Steve ski

Hi guys, I am pricing for a large heating job and looking for some advice to aid my confusion!!. The new extension is considerably larger than the existing cottage, and materially very different, I intend to use the whole house calculation to size the boiler my head is swimming because the new and the old will require very different heat requirements, would it be better to separate the two buildings, I am commited to getting the right system for this job, I am sure I will raise many more questions so apologies in advance, thanks guys!:willy_nilly:

Set the system up with 2 thermostats - old and new.
Run 2 sets of piping - old and new.

Set the boiler up with 2 zones - old and new.

You will find it less difficult to balance the system and maintain even temperature throughout the house if you set the system up this way.

It will cost the customer more for the installation, but just explain why you are doing it and the benefits that it will achieve

Last edited:
Thanx oz the old part is 200 yr old granite cottage has never had central heating installed it will have ground floor and first floor as will the new build are you talking about zoning the old part separately as I would like the boiler to provide heat for the whole house. Or would it be better to have two boilers 'oil' to provide for the new and the old ??

Last edited by a moderator:
Have one boiler and zone the two systems, you could also use a low loss header to aid the balancing of the two different heat loads.

One boiler and minimum two zones set up as old and new although you could have more I'E old living area, new living area, new sleeping area, old sleeping area

Don't use the whole house method, do a room by room heat loss calculation. Size the rads and size the boiler off the combined heat loss.

Don't use the whole house method, do a room by room heat loss calculation. Size the rads and size the boiler off the combined heat loss.

+1/3

Last December I finished a job that sounded a lot like this. 200+ year old cottage 2 up 2 down but brick not stone. With modern extension to the back and side. They'd insulated the old building with 60mm celotex backed plasterboard on 40mm timber battens.

I calculated room by room heat loss and it all went swimmingly.

Thanks so much everyone, really helpful, I will do heat loss room by room and work it out this way, A low loss header sounds good and I may look into this. I will come straight of the boiler with a common flow, this will divide into two each with its own zone valve to old and new. New going to airing cupboard (unvented) and space heating, old space heating only with seperate stat and time control. I will do the same with the return, a common return with return from cylinder and new build heating and return from old part heating should I be concerened about reverse flow with this set up ???

I calculated room by room heat loss and it all went swimmingly.

Did you have the same problem I had once?
Turned the ground floor of a property into a 55C indoor swimming pool.
The owners weren't very happy as they already had an outdoor swimming pool.

but if you do a whole house calculation, how do you decide what size emitters to put in each room???. if you do a room by room calc, you size the rads to emit enough heat for that load, therefore you shouldnt have uneven heat distribution. a well sized and designed system will have no problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to whole house calculation in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

B
I have recently moved into a new house. We have a problem with the heating in a bedroom that sits above a garage. The garage is an integral part of the house with the bedroom above. The bedroom is very cold compared to the other bedrooms . The builder insists that the radiator in the room is the...
Replies
Views
Hello, bit of a noob question but would someone be able to help me to understand the pipes coming off our boiler. It's a Grant oil combi boiler, and where the pipes come in is in a room at the front of the house. I am about to box them in but I really wanted to understand what the various pipes...
Replies
Views
Some advice please about a really worrying problem. I live in a terraced 2 bed room house. 10 days ago the gas combi boiler stopped heating the radiators but still gave hot water to the shower and taps. Naturally we thought there was a fault with the boiler. We had already arranged a yearly...
Replies
Views
Hi, Non-professional / knowledgeable person here. I'm a Brit in Romania who volunteers for a charity building an old peoples home for needy old people. Out here competence and integrity is harder to come by in a worker, in fact it's hard to find workers at all where we are in the countryside...
Replies
Views
I have a 320 sqft double storey house with 6 bedrooms. The house is serviced by two heat only boilers (non condensing); a 120k btu (35kw) and a 70k btu (20kw). Both Boilers are installed at ground floor (120k at front and 70k at the back). Front boiler serving front downstairs and upstairs rooms...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock