Search the forum,

Discuss white part of flue on show in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

buckley plumb

what are folks views on some of the flue showing - I know glowworm allow 600mm to potrude from wall and Worcester now allow theirs to be run externaly but baxi say non to be on show. gas safe don't approve of it

all depends on the manufacturers instructions and if that part of the flue is UV rated. Dont listen to gas safe, if the MI state its ok then its ok.

Spoke to vaillant recently to query this, they are happy for their flue to be run externaly but you must silicone any joints to stop water getting in the air intake. Dont fancy it myself but to instructions so is ok.

I had x2 main eco I fitted picked up on inspection yesterday. I was just passed guttering main say yes

I wouldn't, for one it would look terrible. For 2, everyone knows silicone don't last forever.

Are we talking about a join showing or 1 inch of white flue on show outside

if your talking about the later then half the contries boilers are knackered and i bet 90% of installers on here have at some time had a bit showing

an inch or more . baxi say non should be on show unless under eaves. like the poor examples on here I know there is a hole around the flue and its near a window and the other is near a vented eaves and extending it is still not acceptable just examples and seen them this long under circumstances

Attachments

• poor work.jpg
    poor work.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 49
  • poor work 2.jpg
    poor work 2.jpg
    91.6 KB · Views: 49
  • ravenheat1.jpg
    ravenheat1.jpg
    92.6 KB · Views: 47
Vaillant instructions say the tip of the flue should be 83mm to the external wall in order to fit in the collar. Easy for a technical advisor to say its fine when the MI's don't

Valliant also show a hacksaw cutting flue.... For those of us who have actually done it it's more like hacksaw deforming the foil and cutting plastic inner!!

Valliant also show a hacksaw cutting flue.... For those of us who have actually done it it's more like hacksaw deforming the foil and cutting plastic inner!!

So what do you cut your flues with if not a hacksaw?

I like to use my lazer eyes or sonic blaster. Or a 2mm grinder blade m&g flues are awful.

This is how you cut a flue with no fking around. Any angle grinder and a ÂŁ3 diamond blade.
[DLMURL]http://img837.imageshack.us/img837/7293/sg7t.mp4[/DLMURL]

Last edited by a moderator:
My hackzall makes a beautiful job in a loft or location where sparks are an issue or u can't be fecked with grinder. Only use it free hand on multifit or similar quality. For m&g (valliant slowworm and ideal) I put a flue clamp on and use it as a guide for blade and to stop flue deforming as soooooo thin.

A hacksawl will leave it pulled in somewhere and cant chamfer the ends.
Sparks are not a problem. Its not like you need to ever cut a new flue in a restricted access flammable place and if you do you are stupid and deserve the hastle the claim will bring.

Honestly leaves it beautifully done, I use in pipe work too, both just need a flash with a file. Vertical flues or working in second and third floors. I'm afraid of going up and down stairs - lazy! Will do vid on next one .

That video i posted the link to.
I got the boy to cut it first while i filmed it but he is a ham fisted bstd (you will notice the bad cut on the video) so i took it off him and done it.
It took about 40 seconds to film it and if i had chamfered it, under a minute.
Many will think but i had to go to the van to get the grinder. If you did you are a dick. I only ever met one guy in 40 years who carried a big hacksaw in his bag (nobody uses one).
You go to the van 20 times a day and know you have to cut the flue at some point so bring it in and it is there.
It is all about forward thinking. If you stop to think or start fking around you cost yourself money (heating is all price work)
I'd rather be home with the money for loose women than home for channel 4 news!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to white part of flue on show in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi all. Hope you have all been keeping well. A while back I decided I only wanted to fit one brand of boiler and decided on Viessmann due to space for servicing and changing parts if ever needing to. I am finding my decision rather hard due to the different clearances on flue runs and cupboards...
Replies
Views
Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended floor. Pic 1 is inside porch, pex temporarily clipped to give an idea of pipe placement (ignore shoddy blockwork of booted cowboy builder!), Pic 2 is...
Replies
Views
We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is a 23.8Kw appliance with all six burners and oven on max. This was installed some 10 years ago and has passed all subsequent Gas Safety inspections as...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I'm would like to extend an existing outside tap to another point in the garden. I'm about to pour a concrete patio and was hoping to run the water line underneath. There are existing drain (and who knows what) pipes running along the same wall so I'm nervous about digging too far...
Replies
Views
Hi all Noticed bad smell in my drain out side put my hand down and it unclogged it for now however I checked my sewer drain and after flushing my toilet a good few times nothing is going to the sewer so don't know is there a blockage or what way it works many thanks and advice would be grateful
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock