Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Checkout our Plumbers Insurance area - heavily discounted Public Liability Insurance and Van Insurance specifically designed for plumbers.

Discuss Whistling boiler Powermax 185 in the Central Heating Forum area at UKPlumbersForums.co.uk.

1. Joanne Pitcher

Joanne Pitcher New Member

Hi! Can anyone help? I have a Powermax 185 boiler which I recently had serviced and now seems to make a constant whistling sound?? We have called back the engineer who doesn’t seem to know what is causing the noise. It stops when the burner switches off and restarts after a couple of minutes when the burner switches back on. The noise comes out of the flue, so can be heard from outside the house. The boiler is running well, apart from the awful noise. Any advice would be appreciated.

2. Harvest Fields

Harvest Fields Trusted Plumber GSR Top Contributor!!

You need to find an engineer trained on Powermax boilers. Ask your engineer if he has done the course?

3. king of pipes

king of pipes Trusted Plumber GSR Top Contributor!!

Get the engineer back to do a flue gas analysis and check the combustion especially the co2. Kop

4. Harvest Fields

If he hasn’t been shown mate. He will not know how to do it.

• Like Like x 1
  5. king of pipes

If he don't know how to do it H then he should not be working on them bud , the condense sump rots out on these real dodgey if you don't check em and flue seals fail again get it checked asap by a approved service engineer . Kop

6. Harvest Fields

There is about 175 of them on my estate mate. Spent a day at Warwick on them as well. Horrible things.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. king of pipes

Estate near me also mate worked on a few throws you a bit when the ratio is miles out manufactures know about the sump problem and at one time were doing em free on a service call. Kop

8. Harvest Fields

Think I have replaced about 20 already. Heavy flipping things.

• Winner Winner x 1
  9. RoryD

RoryD Plumber GSR

The engineer should have checked the internal baffles which do deteriorate and need replacing. The air gas ratio is also an issue with these boilers. If done incorrectly it can be very dangerous.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. elbistan

elbistan GSR

The noise can also be caused by fan or worn burner heads.

11. ShaunCorbs

ShaunCorbs S. Mod Trusted Plumber GSR Top Contributor!!

change it for a viessmann 222

12. Harvest Fields

Boooo

• Funny Funny x 1