Search the forum,

Discuss What tape for sealing flue pipe joints? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
W

wild nomad

Hi there,

I was just wondering what sort of tape would be used when sealing the joints to a metal flue pipe system? Would closure plate tape be enough or do you need foil tape?

Cheers in advance :)

It would depend on the flue and the manufacturers requirements. What flue is it?

screws and heat resistant foil tape on a telescopic flue, if thats what your referring to, all other joints shouldnt require any tape. For single skin flexible flues in a chimmney, the top should be secured in the pot or whatever in cement, the bottom into a joint using rope n fire cement, no tape again, to the best of my limited knowledge.

It would depend on the flue and the manufacturers requirements. What flue is it?

Well, It was here when I moved in and there are no MI's for the flue. Nothing is mentioned about the flue in the boiler MI. It is an Open Flued flue system with an integral draught diverter on the boiler itself. The flue goes vertically out of the boiler and right up to a ridge terminal in the roof.

It is made of some sort of metal - I'm guessing some kind of galvanised steel - and looks to be constructed from 1m lengths. Where they attach together (looks to be bayonet fittings as there are no screws) each joint is wrapped in tape, except whoever did it looks to have used normal gaffer tape and it's peeling off.

Just wanted to know what sort of tape it should be so I can replace it.

Is it Selkirk flue ? You'd always find them taped with duck tape.

Is it Selkirk flue ? You'd always find them taped with duck tape.

I have no idea. There is no name on it. It's at least 8 or 9 years old because that's how long I've been here. However, the house is 25 years old so it could be as old as that. I really don't know.

It will have been in since the house was built. It is either selkirk or rite vent. selkirk is a smoth joint with 3 dimples around if you look close, rite vent has a ridge and is a twist joint.
Joints didn't need taping but they usually were with duct or closure plate tape.
Foil tape is better.
Get your boiler regularly checked and serviced especially as it is an open flue and whoever does that will see to it.

doesnt actually need tape but what it does need is testing every year especially open flue boilers these are the ones that will kill you given half a chance

Not like this then
737130b8c1e3abe61b170b860db269ff.jpg

Taping flue joints is normally an excuse for poor workmanship, That's why you can't by a product called flue jointing tape.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to What tape for sealing flue pipe joints? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended floor. Pic 1 is inside porch, pex temporarily clipped to give an idea of pipe placement (ignore shoddy blockwork of booted cowboy builder!), Pic 2 is...
Replies
Views
Hi guys. I'm trying to identify a toilet model before ordering a seat for a customer. I went to what used to be a Roca stockist (they no longer are) and one of the guys there reckoned it might be "The Gap". I went to the new stockist and the guy there disagreed it was "The Gap" and that he'd...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Morning to any Australians lurking around! Register its free, then message me, I'll sort your account out for you. We will need a moderator from each main country too. I'll post this in the Australian forum now.
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock