Discuss What is the best way to drain down the heating system if there is no drain valve ? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

northstar

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
What is the best way to drain down the heating system if there is no drain valve ?

Re: What is the best way to drain down the heating system if there is no drain valve

take off the smallest rad then drain thru the trv/lockshield
bob

Re: What is the best way to drain down the heating system if there is no drain valve

find bottom rad preferably with no carpets, turn off both valves , drain rad , hook washing machine hose or connect up to rad and open valves whilst bleeding top rads.

exactly how i would do it

steve

Had a question like this earlier today ...

So, alternatively ...

Buy a wet vacuum - one tool in the van I just can't do without and when I work with one of my friends (also a plumber) he's always asking me to fetch it. They cost around £70 but should last you at least two years (depending on use of course) and you'll probably use it for over half the jobs you go to, especially emptying WC cisterns - only takes about a minute for that job.

Back to radiators ...

Turn off water supply to heating system.
Find convenient radiator to drain from.
Turn off both radiator valves.
Place towel under whole radiator (or two towels).
Undo bleed valve a little and apply wet vacuum.
Suck.
Stop vacuum when water level below bleed valve.
Undo valve nuts a fraction then do up again.
Undo one valve nut and apply wet vacuum.
Empty radiator.
Tighten bleed valve.
Undo other valve nut (at other end).
Empty radiator.
Establish no water coming out of pipes through valves.
Hook wet vacuum over one end of radiator to capture remaining water and turn on.
Lift radiator and tip towards vacuum.
Turn radiator over and store.
Make an attachment for your hose pipe to valve.
Attach hose pipe and run it outside,
Open valve and drain.
And hardly a drop spilt in the whole process!

Some of this is teaching you to suck eggs but this is how it works for me if I can't find a drain point.

Freeze a suitable pipe a foot apart of both freezing points, cut and insert a comp t and doc, open doc, no mess no problems in future and you dont have mess around with rads etc and heavy old george can stay in the van

I always do the above method with George. :D

You can get a self cutting drain cock but they only cut an 8mm hole so takes longer to drain. If you use one then replace with a proper one once drained and keep the other one for next time.

I always do the above method with George. :D

You can get a self cutting drain cock but they only cut an 8mm hole so takes longer to drain. If you use one then replace with a proper one once drained and keep the other one for next time.[/QUOte

Dont chippies use self cuttig drain cocks in the form of 6" nails, they leave an 8mm hole

If you only need top floor drained or a part drain.

Top of rad if there is a 1/2 bsp blank or bleed valve, turn off rad both ends.take out either side, Tape up and wind in a threaded drain off.

Quick as you like!

if its a full drain then there are a few good ideas up the thread

Warren

the easiest way is to take a floorboard up near a heating pipe and slice it asunder ;) let it soak away into the subfloor. thats the easiest way

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to What is the best way to drain down the heating system if there is no drain valve ? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

• Question
My daughter's place has a small water leak on a ground floor radiator valve. The radiator pipework is small diameter.i.e 8 or 10 mm. A plumber...
Replies
Views
Hoping somebody can help, So, in a nutshell… Standard 90s Westbury home – condensing boiler, pump, wall thermostat, etc etc... Normal, common or...
Replies
Views
A
Hi All, I have two sets of radiator pipes that need removing. Although neither set of pipes have radiators on them anymore they are both still...
Replies
Views
Adam Rifat
A
Hi I have recently bought a house which is 17 years old. There was a small leak from one of the radiators So I took the pipe off and drained the...
Replies
Views
Hey guys in the know. I have paid for a heating and plumbing contract and had to pay my excess 3 times for the same thing still not fixed. The...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock