Discuss what ELECTRICS can i or cant i do? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

obseen16

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Hi guys. i was chatting to a few of the other lads in my merchants the other day about what electrics you can do WITHOUT part P.

most of the guys were sure that we can wire boilers, controls, immersions fused spurrs, sockets, etc but not much more.

others said nothing at all. so whats the real answer?

Is there a site that can tell you the can's and cant's about electrics?

seems to me everyone has a different answer to this one.

Well you can not do sockets or add or run a fused spare as you can not do tests required,immersion heater replacements or electric shower replacements as do not have the bit of paper that says you can work out required cabling
Officially
At first you could do nothing apart from put a plug in a boiler if in came pre wired
Then they gave a little more
Now you are allowed replace or fit a room thermostat, pumps ect as long as it is all going through a 3 amp isolation point,plug or fused spare
Any cables you run must be surface and pass directly through a wall or ceiling
You can only connect to ring main via a removable plug
Thats how I understand it but maybe they allow a bit more now were heating crosses over to electrical

Go to Voltimum website it will tell you there or download Part P from dpm site.

Last edited by a moderator:
Seems you can change components, connect to an existing circuit but not a new one, must be able to prove competence to do such work i.e. cskills essential electrics at least depending on what you want to do

I find this a little confusing really, I can swap a like for like power shower or electric on the basis that the wiring is already there, but how do I know the spark or initial installation was correct.

Winston
You cannot just swap like for like. The replacement should meet 17th edition wiring regs, for this example you need a seperate rcd protection etc This is included in manufacturers instructions failure to comply will not only invalidate any guarantee but also perhaps leave you liable if any incfdent occures with shower
This was posted recently on the electricians forum (nb they argued the toss about this as well)
Steve

My understanding is you can do any of this BUT ...

If you want to sign off the work yourself you have to have passed the necessary exam (eg Part P Defined Scope) AND you have to join a body like NICIE or OFTEC who subscribe you as a compentent person.

If the above is not applicable (you've not passed the exam and you're not in a competent person's scheme) then you can ask the local building inspector from the local council to sign the work off for you.

Both these cost money of course.

Or you can ask a local sparky to do the electric parts for you (which is what I do).

If I've got this wrong, please don't be frightened to tell me!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to what ELECTRICS can i or cant i do? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

We are from Alberta, and I own an electrical company. I have been asked by a BC Mechanical P. Eng. to install an emergency STOP button at the...
Replies
Views
We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock