Discuss What do you always have in your van? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

armyash

Esteemed
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Subscribed
Hi what kit/fittings/parts etc do you always make sure you have in your van at any one time?Obviously there will be jobs where you don't have a specific part so need to order it in but what do you always carry? from 15mm elbows to the more expensive parts.I know some people don't like to carry too much as if the van gets broken in to there's bigger losses.cheers, just picking your brains.

It'll depend on the nature of work you carry out I'd say armyash :) My main work is maintenace and repair. I have an assortment of parts. Most expensive will be the Isar PCB, but have a variety of thermisters and diaphragm/diverter repair kits. More practically I keep an asortment of washers and 'o'rings. Caps and plugs from 1/4" to 1" in case I need to ID. Screws, plugs and nails of varying sizes... & relevant safety paperwork and labels ... Drain-off hose, fold-away steps .... etc. etc. ...lol

You pick it up as you go, you'll quickly work out the bits you always need and will get a few of them.

15mm iso valves, gate valves, check valves, all 15mm end feed connections, plastic fittings, 22mm fittings, screws, rawl plugs, washers, tap glands, tap convertor kit, tools tools and more tools, stopcock 15mm and 22mm, lever valve, gate valve. List is endless, olives, pipe inserts, (more than you need because you'll drop them and can't get at them.

Oh, yorkshire fitting not too many but enough to get you out of trouble, street elbow, trv's...........

Always have:

End feed:
10mm elbows
10mm couplers

15mm elbows
15mm couplers
15mm tees

22mm elbows
22mm couplers

28mm eblows
28mm couplers

10mm other:
Copper tube
Push fit stop ends
(Then other stuff for oil pipework e.g. 10mm copper sleeves)

15mm other:
Copper tube
Isolation valves
Service valve
Push fit stop ends
Drain valve
Washing machine valve
Flexible tap connectors
Fibre washers
Olives
Spare nuts
Compression couplers
Compression elbows

22mm other:
Copper tube
Isolation valves
Push fit stop ends
Olives
Spare nuts

28mm other:
Copper tube

32mm waste (solvent weld and push fit):
Pipe
Elbows
Coupler

40mm waste (solvent weld and push fit):
Pipe
Elbows
Couplers
Tees

Fluidmaster PRO45B bottom fill valve
Torbeck side entry fill valve
Part 2 Ball valve with float
WC flush syphon
Box of tap washers
Silicone - white and clear
Outside tap
Heating cleanser
Heating inhibitor
Lockshield valves
TRVs

I bet there are a few things I've forgotten - loads of other stuff carried too e.g. 28mm compression stop ends, plastic push fit plumbing fittings, 1" to 22mm male irons, etc but I'm not too worried about trundling around without many of these items as they'll be ordered at the same time as the job (e.g. installing a new boiler or plumbing in a new extension).

The stuff above saves me having to order a bit for "I've got a leak" or "My wc isn't working properly" or "Can you move a radiator?" etc.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the replies so far. Reading them I notice i have a quite a bit of stuff listed that i have managed to pick up over the last year or so. Good to see other bits just to keep the names fresh in my head too. :)

most important things in my van 20 years ago was under arm after shave and condoms now id have to add ****** and rohypnol to the list

.....a packet of three just in case.

er I mean drill bits for those of you letting your imagination run wild.

syphon (fluid master) flexi hose, can get you out of trouble, head torch, spare batteries, washer set, o ring set, donut washers (various), washing machine hose (ideal for air locks), plastic cement, tallow (if not used at work, then at home).

Wet wipes, disposable gloves and liquid soap! ( you should see the state of some of the house's i work in)

Haven't a clue exactly what is in there but if i need it it will be there somewhere or the boy is getting his rse kicked.

big wipes! and that extra large diametre drain down hose,washers,power tools,3 or 4 dust sheets,hand tools,steps,15mm copper,15mm fittings,22mm gate valves(ideal when u snap one) 22mm fittings,bog roll,silicone clear+white,plumbers mate,denzo tape,1 1/2 pipe and fittings 1 1/4 pipe and fittings,glue,washers,blank ends,spare pair of clean trainers........ list is endless!

What sort of work are you expecting to do ArmyAsh? I'm currently doing reactive maintenance so I've loads of syphons, flush valves, close couple kits, ball valves, fill valves, iso valves, gate valves, tap washers, ball valve washers, fibre washers, flexi tap tails, washing machine valves (a lot of valves basically), silicone, towels, bucket, sponge, wet vac, hammer, chisel, pry bar, torch, stanley knife and blades, boot covers (especially in this weather), 3/4 olives.

a good tip if you are doing breakdowns is keep the old pcb's after replacing them, write on the box what the fault is with that particular board as long as its not totaly nakered and next time you suspect a pcb fault you can fit the faulty one to see if you are right as long as its not the same fault, if you no what i mean, ive got loads of old pcbs on my van.

What sort of work are you expecting to do ArmyAsh? I'm currently doing reactive maintenance so I've loads of syphons, flush valves, close couple kits, ball valves, fill valves, iso valves, gate valves, tap washers, ball valve washers, fibre washers, flexi tap tails, washing machine valves (a lot of valves basically), silicone, towels, bucket, sponge, wet vac, hammer, chisel, pry bar, torch, stanley knife and blades, boot covers (especially in this weather), 3/4 olives.

I'm not decided yet but generally just regular domestic plumbing and heating/gas. I will be in the army for another 9-10 months but it's getting to the point where I can start getting myself out there looking for more experience so just thought i'd try and get a heads up on another aspect, it's something else i can think about before i get to go out on my own.

Couple of lengths of 15,22 and 28 copper.
length each of overflow, 1/4", 1/2", 2".
pretty much everytype of copper fitting upto 35mm, same with brass.
assortment of hep fittings, plus inserts. assortment of mdpe fittings.
pumps, two-ports, 3-ports, pump valves, stopcocks, gatevalves, lever valves
few oil fittings, flexis for oil and water.
waste fittings.
silicone, washers, o-rings, jointing compound, waste glue, flux, gas bottles, solder, oil sealant, flaring tool, analyser, power tools, hand tools, wet vac, steps, bucket, sand and cement, few odd bits for boilers, cheap taps for bath and basins, shower hose and head, bit of 2x1, wire wool, cleaning strips.
All fitted into one of these: Redirect Notice

Liking mugs of tea, driving long distances and being of a certain age, there is always a bucket in the back of my van!

Always something you might need. New door handle on a bathroom refurb. The list goes on

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to What do you always have in your van? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can I pick your brains? My boiler is often reluctant to start, sometimes it does, sometimes it seems that it will if the demand is from the...
Replies
Views
Had our gas Baxi Combi inspected and serviced today, as it has been every year. Gas safety cert issued and says all okay, but engineer gave what I...
Replies
Views
Hi gents and ladies, Making the probable mistake of buying a house at present : bit of a fixer with a shoddy but recent boiler installation...
Replies
Views
So I bought my first flat recently (am in UK) and in a bit of a pickle as the bathroom has turned up lots of problems that weren't picked up by...
Replies
Views
Hi all! as I am attempting my first plumbing project and the stakes are high, I would greatly appreciate picking your experienced brains regarding...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock