Discuss Water splutters and splashes out . Why could remedy this ? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Piperdave22

Gas Engineer
i live in a flat on the top of 3 levels with a bathroom and an en-suite .
It is high water pressure here and we have a 210litre unvented hot water cylinder . The pipework goes up into the roof space and goes to each supply.
We have had these problems since moving in but basically the water seems to sort of airlock up and violently splutter out of the basin taps, covering the front of you in water . Most noticeably in the mornings and every now and again the kitchen tap will decide to dribble a bit of water out randomly when the taps aren’t open .
I noticed the cold was not connected onto the balanced side of the pipework for bathrooms that have showers in etc so I have connected them in but it hasn’t remedied it at all. I’m thinking it may be airlocking up in the roof space but I have no access to that and it’s quite high pressure as I said .
I was thinking maybe putting airating nozzles on taps ? Or turning down the pressure on the combination valve

Would would everyone’s suggestions be?

High water pressure, be careful here. Do not combine pressure and volume. It might wizz out if the tap but how many litres per minute, use a bucket under bath tap, or take shower head off and do similar with hot then cold post two results Rob Foster aka centralheatking

When was the last time the system was serviced?

It sounds to me as if there is a problem with the pressure vessel or bubble. If it's not been serviced in the last year then you need a G3 registered engineer to do it. DO NOT try to do it your self.

Right I reset the bubble last night just to be sure and it’s still doing it this morning .
@Rob Foster i have checked flow rate this morning using my flow cup/weir gauge on bath tap
And it’s going over the 5gallon a minute maximum on both . So over 22litres a min .

Are the taps properly spec'ed for a high pressure system? It's not uncommon for the HW system to be converted to unvented while leaving the original low-pressure taps installed.

Do you have an 'inverted U' in the pipes anywhere. Air might be collecting here.

If you're a GSR, it shouldn't be beyond your abilty to attach a pressure gauge to one of the hot taps and measure the static pressure in the system. It shouldn't be within spec for the cylinder, typically around 3bar gauge but check the MIs.

Avoid invalidating your house insurance by getting someone with a G3 ticket to do any more invasive checks and repairs.

@Chuck
@Rob Foster

Yeah the taps are all at the correct spec . The unvented cylinder has been in since the flat was built 13years ago.
The pipework is my thinking the cause is atm as its a loft space that I can’t access , so can’t check that!
Yeah I have a pressure gauge on the van I will do that just to make sure but think all is ok.
I have a G3 ticket but my own flat is baffling me and I’m getting Rubbish of the Mrs to sort it

Have done checks on the expansion vessel. that has the correct pressure .
Have carried out a flow rate which is over 22l a min
Have reset the bubble on the cylinder .
Any other ideas over than the pipework?

You mentioned that your pipework goes up into the roof and therefore you must have an inverted U. You've pretty much ruled out just about everything else, it's also the one thing you haven't been able to look at. So, my best guess is that your horizontal pipe is arched or has a downward gradient allowing a nice big long air bubble to collect.

Reply to Water splutters and splashes out . Why could remedy this ? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.
Back