Search the forum,

Discuss Water hammer banging pipes in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

I'm getting banging pipes when a hot or cold tap in the house is turned on full, then turned off. Draining the system of water, then filling back up fixes the problem for 24 hours, then the banging returns.

I know dead ends in pipe work, can cause the problem. The heating system in the house was changed from conventional to combi a few years ago. Their was no pipe banging after this. But there are 2 dead end pipe runs where the hot water cylinder and expansion tank was. The pipes cant be removed as they run into a ceiling, but bleed valves could be fitted. I don't think these pipes are part of the central heating as their are another 4 pipes connected into 'U' bends that are getting hot when the heating is on.

Would this be the best place to start?

Thanks in advance for any input

Either way you probably need to get those dead legs sorted. If they are heating they could be the cause of the banging. If they are domestic water pipes still get em sorted as the water in them could stagnate and cause illness or worse

Do you have a water meter?

You need a water shock arrestor, if you have a water meter or double check valve on you incoming main it could invalidate any warranty on your boiler if you don't fit one.

https://www.NoLinkingToThis/p/refle...PPwKta_25h24YuvQJacaArovEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

When you drain the systems you are allowing the dead legs to fill with air. Which cushions the water hammer.
Cut out the dead legs and fit shock arrestors. Also make sure any pipes you can get at are securely clipped.

Reply to Water hammer banging pipes in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock