Search the forum,

Discuss Washing Machine tripping electrics. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

Rompa

Hi. I have a general query regarding my Hotpoint WM.

For the past few weeks it has been tripping the electrics as soon as it starts a cycle. It fills up perfectly but after a spew rotations of the drum the electric trips.

This does not happen on the rinse or spin cycle.
After reading a little online I'm starting to think it may be the heater element.

So, this evening I've taken the rear cover off to do a little troubleshooting. First I disconnected the temperature sensor but it still tripped. I then reconnected the sensor and disconnected the two plugs that attach to the heater element. I isolated them both and started a regular wash cycle.

No tripping of the electrics.

Am I correct in believing that the problem is very likely to be the element? I don't want to spend £60 on a new one if it could be something else... but all appears to be functioning correctly without the element attached.

Thanks for any advice:)

Gary

Test the resistance across the heating element and compare it to manufacturers data. If it's tripping the rcd not the circuit protective device also check resistance to earth.

Disclaimer .........Only if your competent to do these tests of course. Welcome to the forum.

Thanks for the reply. It's tripping the one circled in red. It's labelled RCCB.

IMG_0550.jpg

I'm quite competent and happy to explore myself. Is it tripping the RCD and how would I go about checking the earth? I've an old analogue meter... but could always get a digital one if that's any better?

Cheers! I've got my sparky dad popping around just to check the earth as mentioned in the previous reply... but from research I'm thinking the element too. Well, it could also be the thermo as it's built into the element. Either way, I should know more soon.

Many thanks for your help!

Gary

New heater ordered and arriving in the AM.

Will drop a line here to let you know how it goes.

Thanks for all your help!
Gary

Make sure you locate the end of the heater in the guide when inserting. If you miss the guide when it vibrates when spinning the heater will catch the spinning drum !

Hi.

Well, the new element arrived safely this AM so I set about removing the old one. What a pain in the rear that was!

Anyway, I eventually plucked it free and fitted the new one with great ease.

Just finishing off a test wash cycle and all is working perfectly... so thanks for the advice here:)

Looking at how messed up the old element was I'm definitely going to treat this new one kinder!

Again, thanks for the help!

Gary

IMG_0552.jpg

Hi.

Well, the new element arrived safely this AM so I set about removing the old one. What a pain in the rear that was!

Anyway, I eventually plucked it free and fitted the new one with great ease.

Just finishing off a test wash cycle and all is working perfectly... so thanks for the advice here:)

Looking at how messed up the old element was I'm definitely going to treat this new one kinder!

Again, thanks for the help!

Gary

View attachment 22630

do you go through kettles?

Your laundry appliance definitely needs a water softener installed on the mains cold water supply. I imagine your gas engineer has fun if you have a combi.

Waste of time - not worth the expense.
Simply replace element every 2 to 5 years or however long it takes to pop - cost under a tenner.

Calgon - crazy expensive
Water softner - see above

Elements can go anyway regardless. Something that costs under a tenner isn't going to last a lifetime anyway

Simply replace element every 2 to 5 years or however long it takes to pop - cost under a tenner.

Calgon - crazy expensive

Elements can go anyway regardless. Something that costs under a tenner isn't going to last a lifetime anyway

What about all the other components connected to water supply on the appliance ie pumps, ntcs,solenoids, jet systems ectc

Calgon - crazy expensive

What about all the other components connected to water supply on the appliance ie pumps, ntcs,solenoids, jet systems ectc

Yes but most customers are not as savy so it would defs cost more than a Tenner... If a customer can afford then I would always recommend a softener, longer life for all appliances, taps & bathrooms that aren't covered in scale & scum

So enlighten me. How does a solenoid become affected by scale in a washer or dishwasher

What a load of cods wallop.
Only 3 solenoids on a washer.
1 mainwash and 1 fabsoft and 1 prewash.
All on inlet side. No scale at all. Never in my years and tears of fixing all brands have i ever replaced a scaled up solenoid valve - it just doesnt happen.
Especially now they are all cold fill only and have been for years [emoji12]

Last edited by a moderator:
It's fact. If you worked in one of the worst areas of the country you would undoubtedly see more.

So please enlighten me again. How does scale form on a cold fill inlet solenoid

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Washing Machine tripping electrics. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

The fittings below are for a mixer bar attached to a self contained shower. i.e not a wall. The attaching screws have snapped. I could get two new brackets, dismantle that existing one and start again or I could try and re attach via those screws, removing the broken ones from the plate and wall...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock