Users can remove all display ads (not sponsors) for a small fee. Click for info (must be logged in)

Discuss Wall chase depth in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
What is the maximum depth you can go when chasing a pipe in to a wall? What does it mean by leaf when talking about cavity walls?

Vertical chases should not be deeper than one-third of the wall thickness or in cavity walls one third of the thickness of the leaf

one thickness / brick and not the total depth including the cavity

Cavity walls are generally made of 2 leafs. Inner wall and outer wall.

Vertical chases should be no deeper than one third of the wall thickness – with standard 100mm bricks and blocks, that going to be 33mm, which is quite deep anyway – that’s not allowing for any plaster coating which could be 10mm so the maximum depth then works out at 36mm from the front face of the plaster.
Horizontal chases should be no deeper than one sixth of the wall thickness - with standard 100mm blocks, that going to be 16mm which is usually quite sufficient – that’s not allowing for any plaster coating.

I'm possibly going to be amending some heating pipe work that at the moment is run externally vertically down a wall from upstairs and boxed in. I've never chased a wall before but I'm assuming you just grind the two lines and chisel or sds the middle out? I'm aware of the depths of chases but is there a max width of a chase?

Yes and depending on width might need a central one and might be best to hire a chaser and vac if property is lived in

You will be fine for two 15mm pipes

Don't forget to allow for expansion eg insulate pipes etc

Yes and depending on width might need a central one and might be best to hire a chaser and vac if property is lived in

You will be fine for two 15mm pipes

Don't forget to allow for expansion eg insulate pipes etc

They're 22mm pipes so including sleeving or insulating I'd need around 48-56mm..

I've just been looking at the Makita chaser.. *grin*

They're 22mm pipes so including sleeving or insulating I'd need around 48-56mm..

I've just been looking at the Makita chaser.. *grin*

How thick is the wall and supporting / non supporting ??

Going tomorrow to check it out. How do I know if it's a supporting wall? And oh my, just checked out the reviews on the erbauer wall chaser at £100 and sounds pretty good!! Might take a stroll down there this arvo lol

Going tomorrow to check it out. How do I know if it's a supporting wall? And oh my, just checked out the reviews on the erbauer wall chaser at £100 and sounds pretty good!! Might take a stroll down there this arvo lol

Any timbers/ timber splices resting on it ?

And yes but need a good vac done it once without a vac and wasn't clean for about a week it's that dusty

Any timbers/ timber splices resting on it ?

And yes but need a good vac done it once without a vac and wasn't clean for about a week it's that dusty

Not that I could see, looked like brick to me.

I've got a kartcher dry/wet vac that has a tool attachment.. I was just thinking of filling the bottom with water and attaching that...?

Not that I could see, looked like brick to me.

I've got a kartcher dry/wet vac that has a tool attachment.. I was just thinking of filling the bottom with water and attaching that...?

That should be ok but would leave it dry

That should be ok but would leave it dry

Think I tried using it dry when I did some regrouting and it just blew the dust even further :/ might just be my vac though but it's a decent vac

Think I tried using it dry when I did some regrouting and it just blew the dust even further :/ might just be my vac though but it's a decent vac

You did have the filter in / bag didn't you ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Wall chase depth in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I'm would like to extend an existing outside tap to another point in the garden. I'm about to pour a concrete patio and was hoping to...
Replies
Views
I have had a look at previous posts and think I know the answer to this but just before I make it worse could I just check what you think about...
Replies
Views
Hi. I need a new toilet supply line but don’t know the size type of the fitting at the shut off valve. It is not 3/8 compression. It is a plastic...
Replies
Views
Hello plumbers in my internet. So the Mrs want a spray mixer tap in the kitchen as we had two separate taps. I changed the tap for a temporary two...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock