1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Discuss Vertical Radiator HELP! in the Central Heating Forum area at UKPlumbersForums.co.uk.

1. Mike3333

Mike3333 New Member

Guys I am a newbie and need help please. I have fitted 2 vertical radiators and both are leaking on the thermostat side. I have used loads of PTF tape and I now think I am missing a part.

They are bottom fed vertical rads. Do you guys fit another attachment between the the thermostat and the radiator? A tail of some sort that the thermostat attaches too? I only ask as the thermostat side doesn't feel tight even with 30 wraps of tape. And when I looked at another (done by a professional) there seems to be another connector inbetween the TRV and into the rad.

I have attached a pic of the part I think I need BUT I maybe wrong and bow to your greater knowledge!

If there is a part....kindly tell me what it is ;)

Thanks Mike

15561303645585421662714408680322.jpg

2. Craig Watson

Craig Watson Plumber GSR

Are you wrapping the ptfe the same direction as the threads or against it? The latter will unravel the ptfe as your threading it in

Are you saying the part your pointing to in the pic is missing?

3. scott_d

scott_d Plumber GSR Top Contributor!!

How many wraps of ptfe?

• Funny Funny x 1
  4. Mike3333

Mike3333 New Member

I tried about 10 but it felt loose. So yeah about 25-30. Would that suggest I need another part, the rad or the thermostat is faulty? It doesn't ever tighten up :(

5. townfanjon

townfanjon Trusted Plumber GSR Top Contributor!!

Chuck the ptfe and youtube loctite 55 , it shows you how to apply it . Or it used to .

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. scott_d

scott_d Plumber GSR Top Contributor!!

Locktite or a rubber o-ringed rad tail

• Like Like x 1
  7. Mike3333

Mike3333 New Member

Yes you can barely see it on this radiator but I wondered if I am missing something. From the new comments I will try this Locktite

8. Mike3333

Mike3333 New Member

Thanks I will take a look

9. Mike3333

Mike3333 New Member

Thank you

10. SimonG

SimonG Trusted Plumber

You need the rad tail you are pointing too into the radiator first.

Sounds like you've screwed the valve body straight into the radiator.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Best

Best Trusted Plumber

Smear of paste with ptfe tape helps make a better joint.
    Ordinary Boss White superb for rad tails or any sealed thread joints on heating systems

12. Craig Watson

Craig Watson Plumber GSR

That's what I thought by reading his post too. I'm unsure whether the pic is his radiator or one to show the bit he thinks he's missing

13. Mike3333

Mike3333 New Member

Yes I have! Can I buy a rad tail from screwfix or toolstation?

14. Mike3333

Mike3333 New Member

Yes this is another radiator. It's difficult to describe if you don't know the part names. Mine is bottom fed and I have put the thermostat valve straight into the rad.

15. Mike3333

Mike3333 New Member

Thanks for your help everyone. I have attached two items can you tell me if either is what I need please. And as I have put the thermostat valve and the other valve straight into the rad, do I need the items attached on both sides of the rad? Currently only one side is leaking but it's the same side (thermostat) on both sides. The none thermostat valve seemed to be a really tight fit.
    Thanks

Screenshot_20190425-054344_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20190425-054427_Chrome.jpg