Search the forum,

Discuss Value for money tools in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

gasmanrob

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Every now and again someone pops in asking for drill advice on a tight budget or apprentices looking to grow a tool collection trawling through the clearance sections on a few websites and noticed 18v 4ah li on Bosch drill and impact driver kits going for reasonable rates.

ok it's not makita or Milwaukee but you're still getting a good tool for a price that won't break the bank.

What has made you're mind up on that?

I'm a makita man at present but the new fuel nitro has really been geared towards the hvac industry so really looking closely at it, people rave about it but I'm also aware of many complaints over reliability my next door neighbour has sent his impact wrench back 3 times in12 months and received a brand new one each time..

Dewalt isn't all that my 4 year old makita still out performs their latest high power offering but they are priced competitively.

Used to always go for Makita, but if they don't improve their 18volt batteries I will be looking elsewhere.

Transferred from dewalt then to makita now milwaukee the latest from the latter imo blasts away anything the others have to offer.

My only gripe is the battery charge time.

If you skint pop down lidls on tool day .

I've used Makita for years and always been happy with there gear. Want to get a little 10v drill driver and thinking about trying out the Milwaukee version as its meant to be mustard.

Personally I'm a Dewalt fan, although I find once you've got one set of batteries your not going to go with a different brand,
But when it doesn't matter as in corded tools ill just go for best performance and price before buying,

But theres some good deals on used gear if your on a tight budget

On the cordless I had bosch, twice, only lasted just over 12 months each. Then dewalt, lasted well, in the garage somewhere. Now milwaukee, about 4 years old, impact driver takes a load of hammer, but the combi drill is on its way out. Speeds varying and a distinct electrical burning smell.
Also have a little pistol grip bosch screwdriver, handy for boards or removing screws from cabinets etc.

On the coring side I have a makita 8406, apart from the screw I had to melt into the trigger to get it to run, its old but keeps on ticking.

Corded I currently have a bosch sds, it was on special 3 years ago. Runs well. Before that I bought a cheap one that lasted about 4 years before it dropped to bits.

I tend to circle between manufacturers but I have 3 decent sets of cordless tools. A fullish set of dewalt 18v XR, a set of milwaukee v/m28, a set of milwaukee M12.

I also have makita, bosch and porter cable stuff amount others.

I believe bosch power tools have the least returns under warranty.

On the cordless I had bosch, twice, only lasted just over 12 months each. Then dewalt, lasted well, in the garage somewhere. Now milwaukee, about 4 years old, impact driver takes a load of hammer, but the combi drill is on its way out. Speeds varying and a distinct electrical burning smell.
Also have a little pistol grip bosch screwdriver, handy for boards or removing screws from cabinets etc.

On the coring side I have a makita 8406, apart from the screw I had to melt into the trigger to get it to run, its old but keeps on ticking.

Corded I currently have a bosch sds, it was on special 3 years ago. Runs well. Before that I bought a cheap one that lasted about 4 years before it dropped to bits.

Maybe your combi drill varying speed & electric burning smell, is just the brushes worn & needing replaced?
I was told, by an agent for professional power tools, that Bosch corded tools are the best, but Bosch cordless are poor & not really "professional" tools.

Makita not bad Milwaukee are crap

funny u say that, I think milwaukee are the dogs personally, the rest seem to be falling by the way. If you want value just go to screwfix, any failures and they will replace if you push a bit, never worth buying off the net if you want back up in the long term

i think a lot of the time we expect to much especially of the lower priced drills every manufacturer have drills in different price brackets your not going to get the same drill for £99 as the £300 list top of the range from the same manufacturers

funny u say that, I think milwaukee are the dogs personally, the rest seem to be falling by the way. If you want value just go to screwfix, any failures and they will replace if you push a bit, never worth buying off the net if you want back up in the long term

Your not wrong, I've taken all sorts back and they've always replaced if not discounted or given a full refund as well

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Value for money tools in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi all Noticed bad smell in my drain out side put my hand down and it unclogged it for now however I checked my sewer drain and after flushing my toilet a good few times nothing is going to the sewer so don't know is there a blockage or what way it works many thanks and advice would be grateful
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is a 23.8Kw appliance with all six burners and oven on max. This was installed some 10 years ago and has passed all subsequent Gas Safety inspections as...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock