Discuss Vaillant Ecotec plus 428 overactive. Keeps running in S7 and S8 mode. in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

I have an open vented central heating system with a hot water tank. Both heating and hot water circuits have a motorised valve controlled by a timer. The timer for the central heating is always in the “on” position and is governed by a room thermostat. The boiler is a Vaillant Ecotec Plus 428 which is about 10 years old.

Yesterday I had my central heating radiators replaced. The engineers struggled a bit to remove all the air from the system but managed to do so. The heating and the hot water are both working fine.

Even with the hot water and the heating switched off at the timer, and the motorised valves closed, the boiler does not go to sleep. It stays for several minutes in S7 mode (pump overrun). It then goes into S8 mode (anticycling). Then the boiler fires for a few seconds and goes back into S7 mode. It keeps on repeating this process. The pump appears to be running also in S8 mode, without the pump icon showing on the little screen. It just pushes hot water around the bypass loop, which has a manual tap which is slightly open.

Especially with the current price of gas, it would be useful to be able to convince the boiler all this faffing about is not necessary. I would be grateful for any suggestions.

Did they do anything else? I would be suspecting a fault on a zone valve, like a stuck end switch. Is this happening all the time?
Hi,

They just changed the radiators but had to do quite a lot of stuff to get the air out of the system so the radiators would fill up.

The pump has been running all the time with the valves shut. I was under the impression that the pump won't run when the valves are shut but there you go.

Thanks for replying.

The pump has been running all the time with the valves shut. I was under the impression that the pump won't run when the valves are shut but there you go.

Thanks for replying.
The valves might be shut, but there’s a microswitch inside of them which is how they work to bring on the heating/hot water, so if this is stuck, it’ll still fire up the boiler and bring the pump on.

Maybe latch open one of the CH M.valves manually, this will allow the boiler to get away after ignition and stay running, even though it shouldn't, if all the M.valves are healthy then latching one of them open should not close the end switch but it may on some makes, it doesn't on the Honeywell 2 port valves, may tell you something.

Maybe latch open one of the CH M.valves manually, this will allow the boiler to get away after ignition and stay running, even though it shouldn't, if all the M.valves are healthy then latching one of them open should not close the end switch but it may on some makes, it doesn't on the Honeywell 2 port valves, may tell you something.
Thanks. There is no problem in getting the boiler to run; when heat is asked for it provides it either for hot water or for CH, and the valves open as they should. The problem is that even when no heat is being required, the boiler is stuck in a cycle where it does pump overun for about 6 minutes, then anticyles for 2 or 3 minutes, then goes back to pump overrun mode. It does this with the valves shut, so the water circulates through the bypass loop. There's worse problems to have, but it would be nice to fix it. Central heating man is coming tomorrow morning.

Only other thing is the 24v link, but this would have happened since day one of having the boiler, unless the radiator people tampered with it?
Thanks. I'm not sure what the 24v link is I'm afraid. There is a wee junction box floating around underneath the boiler. Is that it?

I was not standing next to them while they were working but I did notice at some stage they had opened up the pump in order to remove air. That led to some water spillage.

Just now I switched on the hot water at the timer. This appeared to make the boiler more reluctant to fire which I did not expect. The boiler now seemed to be shedding heat through the pipe to the hot water tank but with the boiler off.

CH man said he would replace the automatic air valve on top of the boiler tomorrow, and generally do some diagnostic pondering. I can see his point in that, as they did not do anything other than replace radiatiors, and then struggle with air, some trapped air may be gumming up the works. Why that would make the boiler get stuck in this S7 - S8 - S7 loop, and keep the water hot in the bypass loop I even though heat is not asked for I find mysterious.

Reply to Vaillant Ecotec plus 428 overactive. Keeps running in S7 and S8 mode. in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi I'm dealing with Vaillant Ecotec 824 R1 in one flat. The boiler make a very loud noise when central heating is on - this is random and occurs...
Replies
Views
My son has just had a new boiler fitted and hes noticed that the pump runs 24x7 even when both the heating and hot water are set to off. He’s...
Replies
Views
Hi everyone, I'm hoping to get some advice on an issue I'm having with my Vaillant Ecotec Pro 24 boiler (R1 PCB). It was installed in 2013 and has...
Replies
Views
Hello, I am looking for a heating engineer to diagnose and resolve an issue with my Vaillant EcoTec 832 combi boiler. Job Location: Copeland Rd...
Replies
Views
I recently had a new 2023 Vaillant ecoTec plus 630 (30kW) system boiler installed along with a Low Loss Header (LLH) in my house. I have 21 rads...
Replies
Views

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back