Search the forum,

Discuss Upside down thermostat dial in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi all, just a quick one, can someone agree with me that the indication dial is fitted incorrectly on my left hand thermostat lol

so both stats are wound back anti clockwise as far as possible but end up in different places. See images 1= main stat. 2= immersion stat.

672ACAD8-D368-4E95-B9DE-0040A09E9A64.jpeg
BB7F0A7F-A3D1-4123-8375-48039E0029C1.jpeg
79823128-29CC-4ABA-A1E8-4EFC77826388.jpeg

If I set the left one to 160 degrees angle and the right one to aprox 45 degrees the both click, again suggesting that the factory brass bit is wrong?
Hope that all makes sense lol

Edit: fixed images so they are in order

Last edited:
One will be a high limit stat the other a normal operation stat

may I ask where your messing with them ?

One will be a high limit stat the other a normal operation stat

may I ask where your messing with them ?
Hi mate, thanks for the reply

I don’t think that’s correct, it states on the rear cover that left is the main stat and the right is the for the immersion heater. Also says this in the Tribune XE installation manual. Looks like it’s wired that way as well. It looks like each stat has built in high limit.

My TPRV valve is passing when heating, was checking what temp they were set at.

Expansion gap has been set up but still passing, looks like it’s faulty, so I’ll be making a warranty claim as it’s been leaking for a while.

Will be insisting that they change the left stat if it’s incorrectly manufactured as well.

cheers

Fixed images so they are in order

1= main stat
2= Immersion stat
3 = indication position

both are wound back to zero.(anti clockwise)

main one indicates under 55 (incorrect)

immersion one indicates 12 (correct)

In looks like the indication mark is out by 180 degrees

so hard trying to explain lol

Last edited:
They don’t reseal they need new valves put them back to where they were and get a pro in my best advise would be

when was it last serviced (supposed to be done yearly)

They don’t reseal they need new valves put them back to where they were and get a pro in my best advise would be

when was it last serviced (supposed to be done yearly)
Thanks for the reply Shaun,

Im 99% certain that the TPRV is passing because it’s faulty (weak spring or not setting/sealing correctly). It’s been like that since the day we moved in. (Just over a year ago, new build).

Appreciate the advice, thank you.
However, the last “pros” that fitted and attended a fault were pro by name only. Whoever fitted the tank fitted the tundish discharge pipe squint, so when the PRV opened, the water hit the tundish edge and soaked the floor and damaged garage ceiling below.

The tank then started leaking at a union, I checked and it was tight (I’m a train/locomotive engineer). The Barratt site manger came over and checked it was tight, which it definitely was. The Kingspan engineer then attended, he drained the tank then tightened the fitting way beyond what it should be tightened to, I could hear the metal groan under the strain he was putting on it. He then refilled the tank and left. 3 hours later... leaking again. He had the tank empty, all he had to do was change a washer (fibre/nylon/brass) but he was too lazy! That coupled with the 3 leaks we have had from cross threaded waste pipes, loose dishwasher waste and loose and waste trap. Totally given up on “pros”

As for a service, it’s due now.

My question was more to do with just the position of the notch on the stats.
It looks like it’s manufactured incorrectly.
Was wondering if anyone has come across this before?

Appreciate the additional advice and I hope that the above doesn’t come across aggressive or condescending.

Cheers

Well legally you can’t touch unless you’re G3 qualified so... a pro it is??
I’ve no doubt that’s true. However the installer/person that commissioned it would have been G3 qualified... we had no hot water on day one as it was wired up wrong and as stated above it was leaking. The Kingspan “engineer” would have been G3 qualified and he was useless/lazy. So I don’t think G3 qualification is worth the paper it’s written on if they are giving out to people like that!

G3 qualification aside, I’m not just some coconut messing around with things for the sake of it. I’m qualified to work on 25kv equipment, 400+ bar fuel systems, hot water boilers for onboard catering equipment etc etc.

I appreciate the advice and warning but I was just really looking for clarification on the stat issue.

cheers

My question was more to do with just the position of the notch on the stats.
It looks like it’s manufactured incorrectly.
Was wondering if anyone has come across this before?

They've obviously been manufactured differently, perhaps one was finished by a left-handed person on the production line. There's probably another version of the thermostat that has a knob with a dial or pointer that fits the spindle.

I suspect the problem is with the instructions, i.e. it's not the notch that should be used as the reference but the normal to the flat on the spindle. Whoever drew the sketch in the instructions probably didn't realise that the notch could be in either of the two arrangements you've got.

Anyway, it's bad practice to rely on dead reckoning to set thermostats that have a safety role. They need to be proved, preferably in situ, by reference to a reliable thermometer. This should be obvious to someone with your skill-set.

Reply to Upside down thermostat dial in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock