Discuss Update on my combi install, had a couple of fitters round for quote in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

Cis4cookie

Basically following on from a previous thread asking for help regarding a combi installation

Had a chap round yesterday who had a look a everything, basically im putting the rads on the walls, and the job will be for them to fit the combi and controls in the larder cupboard connect upto the rad runs, gas supply and carcase the bathroom, also connect the rads where needed.

The heating runs are in 15mm and with the room layout the runs, both up and down, go through the centre of the house from the front wall run into the hall/landing into he back rooms and to the back walls, so completely straight runs so around 11-12 metres I reckon.

Any way first chap says he would run 22mm from boiler to the 15mm runs and then replace a percentage of the 15mm runs into 22mm, he said a 22-28kw boiler and picked a glow worm ultimate with 7 year warranty , wireless controls which he said makes his job easier, £2100, this chap probably been plumbing for about 7 years I think as its a friend of a friend.

Next bloke, done my cooker fitting sometime ago, 55 years old been plumbing all his life and his dad before him, he basically quotes for the same job but says theres no point changing any 15mm just 22mm off the boiler to the 15mm runs. He says ill only need a 24kw and would supply a baxi platinum with 10 year warranty, waiting for his quote but seemed confident he could offer a competitive price

Why are you getting quotes? I thought you had a guy doing it for £450!?

I think I actually said some one offered t do it for £450 labour charge ontop of materials and boiler price but was gonna get a few prices

second chap who offered the baxi was a hard wired control

Get the quotes in writing so you can compare them properly.

for 450 or less you take what you get and nothing is ever in writing.

Idiots to even consider it.

Baxi platinum he would be my friend especially with 10 years warranty, no one will thank you for the glowworm .

The kw size will be hot water related don't forget so smaller the boiler the smaller ltr min output

Get a 3rd quote. Baxi and glowworm are both pants in my opinion.

Basically following on from a previous thread asking for help regarding a combi installation

Had a chap round yesterday who had a look a everything, basically im putting the rads on the walls, and the job will be for them to fit the combi and controls in the larder cupboard connect upto the rad runs, gas supply and carcase the bathroom, also connect the rads where needed.

The heating runs are in 15mm and with the room layout the runs, both up and down, go through the centre of the house from the front wall run into the hall/landing into he back rooms and to the back walls, so completely straight runs so around 11-12 metres I reckon.

Any way first chap says he would run 22mm from boiler to the 15mm runs and then replace a percentage of the 15mm runs into 22mm, he said a 22-28kw boiler and picked a glow worm ultimate with 7 year warranty , wireless controls which he said makes his job easier, £2100, this chap probably been plumbing for about 7 years I think as its a friend of a friend.

Next bloke, done my cooker fitting sometime ago, 55 years old been plumbing all his life and his dad before him, he basically quotes for the same job but says theres no point changing any 15mm just 22mm off the boiler to the 15mm runs. He says ill only need a 24kw and would supply a baxi platinum with 10 year warranty, waiting for his quote but seemed confident he could offer a competitive price

sounds like you have little confidence with the fitters you have had round,so you are pondering this forum for reassurance.If you wasn't trying to get it fitted on the cheap you wouldn't feel the need to question the guys on here.

I can guarantee you will have issues with the warranty on the Baxi if you have to call them out, all they do is look for a get out clause rather than actually try and fix the boiler. Absolutely terrible warranty service from Heat Team, they may as well sell their boilers will a 100 year warranty as they don't honour them anyway.

2 x 22mm out to the rads will be fine but i wouldnt fit less than a 28kw boiler 30 better theres probably less than a hundred quid between the price of the two sizes and its a large exspense so best get it right first time
hard wired controls are definitely better no batteries to change every year most combis have an integral clock anyway and one flex to the stat wont be hard

Killy Bing is dead right - so many problems with wireless - often this option is chosen
by fitters who cannot wire out the controls CHking
If you have the option of doing it go for hard wired controls.
More reliable

Also it can involve a lot less time and disruption in having a run a wire, chase walls etc if there is no wired thermostat already in place

well I liked the second chap tbh as I used him before, seemed to have great confidence in the baxi and said he has never had issues dealing with them if a problem has occurred.

he also mentioned fitting a 28 as well as saying a 24 would be fine,

I will be getting at least 2 more quotes anyway,

seems as though cheap ay have gone out the widow now

just wanna know I have a reliable boiler tbh

well I liked the second chap tbh as I used him before, seemed to have great confidence in the baxi and said he has never had issues dealing with them if a problem has occurred.

he also mentioned fitting a 28 as well as saying a 24 would be fine,

I will be getting at least 2 more quotes anyway,

seems as though cheap ay have gone out the widow now

just wanna know I have a reliable boiler tbh

Don't get the baxi then!

I always thought baxi had a good name for itself tbh and I think they are potterton aren't they

as with glow worm, thought they were supposedly decent being valiant, only from what some people say or probably own there self

basically im putting the rads on the walls

I cant imagine this is going to make the job any cheaper. What's the reason for you doing this

just putting the rads on so they are out the way and I can get rid of the rubbish so a step forward

2 more installers today both recommending baxi and one also going with Worcester, no prices from these 2 yet though

A 2nd year apprentice will cost a bit more than that :lol:
Don't be fooled by hrs, anyone can spin the work out but i never have the time or patience to be bothered with that so you'd get an upfront fixed price and i'm in and out as quick as possible.
When i'm done you might think i paid that guy a lot of money for a days work but it took me a lot of learning to be quick and no comebacks.
Any fool can be there for a week and regularly visit you every other day for the next month or 2 sorting out problems.
Think about which you would prefer. You (usually)get what you pay for but always get some kind of reference from whoever you pick.
You are spending a lot of money so get it right.

Btw Baxi's are fine. Duotecs (or platinum if you want a longer warranty (same boiler)) as long as not the GA's.

A 2nd year apprentice will cost a bit more than that :lol:
Don't be fooled by hrs, anyone can spin the work out but i never have the time or patience to be bothered with that so you'd get an upfront fixed price and i'm in and out as quick as possible.
When i'm done you might think i paid that guy a lot of money for a days work but it took me a lot of learning to be quick and no comebacks.
Any fool can be there for a week and regularly visit you every other day for the next month or 2 sorting out problems.
Think about which you would prefer. You (usually)get what you pay for but always get some kind of reference from whoever you pick.
You are spending a lot of money so get it right.

Btw Baxi's are fine. Duotecs (or platinum if you want a longer warranty (same boiler)) as long as not the GA's.

never a truer word spoken :)

quick update as got 1 quote through

so to place boiler in larder, hook up to heating, carcase the up and downstairs bathrooms, connect up 6 rads from the runs, move gas to larder and connect up cooker

first quote for glow worm ultracon 24kw , 7 warranty , £2100 , also supposed to give me a price for a 24kw valiant and a ideal logic

second quote for potterton 24HE with 2 year warranty = £2100
or baxi platinum 24 with 10 year warranty = £2222

still awaiting the 3rd quote which is also for the baxi platinum or Worcester greenstar 25 si

Wouldn't go for either boiler. Baxi DuoTec is same as potterton with 7 year warranty. I'd also never fit a 24kw, unless the flow rate in the house is low enough to warrant it.

No chance then. These 2 installers are recommending 24kw Combi's, either because they're clueless, or know you're being tight. Either way, you won't be happy in the end.

sorry 1 bathroom, downstairs is a toilet and cloakroom sink

was told that pressure in area and due to size of house I would only need a 24kw, could go 28kw, was told anything bigger would be pointless due to the pressure, bit hard to know who to trust tbh as fitters have all said a few different reasons why to go for 24kw

I assume you have a issue wit he brad aswell though, seems to be a popular option from 3 installers ive spoke to

I assume you have a issue wit he brad aswell though, seems to be a popular option from 3 installers ive spoke to

Sorry, what are you asking here? The typo has got the better of me I'm afraid.

Aye, he loves it Steve.

sorry, I assume you have an issue with the brands

One installer said due to poor pressure 24kw would be all that was needed any higher would not benefit due to the water coming in

another said 24kw purely based on the size of the place

another basically said the higher the KW the better the flow so gave me various options from 24-33kw

all installers mentioned baxi and wocrcester

only 1 for valiant

all said they would also fit anything I wanted and said I can supply the boiler aswell, Mr central heating seems fairly reasonable, some fitters said its cheaper for them to get it , some disagreed

Sounds like reasonable advice to be honest. Difference between 24kw and 28kw is about 2ltrs/min or about 15% if your main can supply it. It's only going to effect filling a bath and it'll probably add an extra 3-4 minutes on the run time.

Personally I don't think the flow rate from a 24 is unbearable, obviously it's the lower end of the scale but there are thousands out there with them and you don't hear of people hanging themselves over waiting for the bath to fill.

Stay away from the glow worm, Worcesters aren't anything special but back up is good, Baxi is a bit behind the time as the newer stuff doesn't work so they've pulled out the archived boiler with a reliable history.

pay your money, take your chance.

Last edited:
Sounds like reasonable advice to be honest. Difference between 24kw and 28kw is about 2ltrs/min or about 15% if your main can supply it. It's only going to effect filling a bath and it'll probably add an extra 3-4 minutes on the run time.

Personally I don't think the flow rate from a 24 is unbearable, obviously it's the lower end of the scale but there are thousands out there with them and you don't hear of people hanging themselves over waiting for the bath to fill.

Stay away from the glow worm, Worcesters aren't anything special but back up is good, Baxi is a bit behind the time as the newer stuff doesn't work so they've pulled out the archived boiler with a reliable history.

pay your money, take your chance.

cheer for that advice, tbh I was thinking of getting a 28kw just because its in the middle of what they have offered and I was swaying towards the baxi purely based on the warranty and the years they have been around.

Right, I usually fit ideal logics.

Combi's should be sized on your hot water demand, not the heating load. Did anyone do any tests of your taps, or are they just guessing?

I would want 28kw as in winter a 24kw is only useful for heating a sink supply . It only raises 9lpm 30c ......, a bath at 33c is not fun for any one

there are no taps currently, only one installer went to the mains to see what the pressure was like.

I have heard o ideal logic its just no installer has mentioned it

I recommend you get a Vaillant fitted by a Vaillant advance engineer.

Pressure is not the only deciding factor. The engineers should test your mains pressure and flow rate with a flow cup and idealy with secondary outlet open so they can get a realistic idea of dynamic pressure and flow and not just static. This will help determin how the combi will perform if fir instance the washing machine is on or the toilet cistern is filling or someone is filling the kitchen sink while someone wants to use a shiwer or fill the bath.

I would choose to fit a Vaillant if it were for myself. Lots of skilled and reputable engineers on here have different oppinions as to their favourite boiler to fit. I have fitted Baxis and Mains both made by Potterton and have had no problems. I have heard good things about some of the current Ideal boilers, Gloworms and Aristons. Typically if an install is carried out well, with new valves on radiators and system thoroughly flushed you should be ok with any of the brand options you have been given.

Last edited:
Its pointless fitting a 30kw boiler if the pressure is low, flow rate is down, maybe thats why they're said 24kw

I like baxi but what do other lads like, intergas ?

Fit a 24 kw and contend yourself with having a shower as opposed to a bath. What is the point of fitting an Ideal Logic+ 35kw boiler when your pressure is pants? As has been said, loads of 24kw boilers out there and doing a good job at that

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Update on my combi install, had a couple of fitters round for quote in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

S
Hi, I seemed to have a blockage in kitchen sink. A plumber came and cleared all the pipework that is visible inside my home (there was debris and...
Replies
Views
Sonya K
S
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock