Search the forum,

Discuss Unvented confusions. Help a brother out. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

WaterTight

Esteemed
Plumber
Subscribed
I recently changed some taps on a system with a megaflo unvented cylinder (taps were ground floor kitchen, megaflo first floor airing cupboard in case relevant.)

The pressure at the bath taps before starting was insane. Terrifyingly forceful. He whacked them on full to show me that it caused the inlet valve in WC to let by which I changed while there.

I must admit I'm overly cautious with the parts of systems I don't work/on install and so even if there is a valve (a lever on the combination valve I believe?) to isolate mains supply to unvented I have tended to just isolate incoming mains and run hot and cold taps to change them for fear of interferring with things I don't know about.

This has worked in the past and I have asked on here in the past if this is fine to do and have been told yes (by Tamz, no less.) Please correct me if this is wrong. I did note this time it seemed to take much longer than usual for hot to finish running. I may have even done a bit of a live catch toward the end having lost patience.

Customer emailed and says his water pressure is now much less from kitchen taps (i probably should have clocked this but just check they were live as it was a late job and was losing my marbles)

I've asked him to check if it's reduced at other taps, as he didn't say. He says kitchen "taps" in email, not tap, but all he then describes is now having to wait too long to fill up a washing up bowl so maybe he means just hot? If it's cold as well wouldn't that just mean the stopcock isn't fully open? I'm pretty sure I didn't make that mistake...but who knows...

Either way I had this before couple years ago. Turned off mains, drained out hot and cold kitchen taps, turn mains back on, pressure issues at some taps and not others.

I can't remember what happened in the end. May have told them to get an unvented guy to look. But this seems silly. Seems like you should be able to turn the water off and on without needing a visited from an unvented guy afterwards.

What is likely this pressure issue and is there something I should be doing/not be doing/warning people about on these jobs? The taps were suitable for the system by the way.

Thanks

Nope, but I did fit isolation valves. But at unvented pressure that shouldn't matter...? Customer has replied that the bath taps upstairs are still fine. He didn't mention whether he is just getting this problem on one kitchen tap or both, have asked again.

Is there anything related to the unvented set-up and/or the fact I turned off the mains and opened the hot and cold taps downstairs - the cold stopping quite quickly the hot going on forever - that could cause substantially reduce flow at one set of taps (ground floor in case relevant) but leave it the same at the other (first floor)?

Because if the answer to that is no than I guess it must be the taps. But if I take them off an stick a flexi on the iso and run it into a bucket and the pressure is still pants...What next?

In case it's relevant the original pressure at the bath was literally ridiculous, like the most powerful I've ever seen. So if I go back and what he is claiming is fine at the bath still looks to have been reduced considerably then perhaps an overall reduction has occured which is mainly of annoyance at the kitchen sink....

Check the filter inside this. If it has one and you are G3 registered

186877B4-EDD2-41E7-BD84-8D0B593A190C.png

Interesting, sounds like the thing. I'm not G3 so would be getting someone to look after I've ruled out taps.

So in your opinion could this be my fault / related to turning off mains and draining hot and cold from kitchen? Would this have not have/been less likely to happen(ed) if I'd turned off the lever on the combination valve to drain off the hot instead? And is that what I should do in future? If so I'm hoping those valves don't leak, get stuck, do something else unexpected?

Reply to Unvented confusions. Help a brother out. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi Anyone know of a pull out kitchen tap that has decent pressure? I have had low pressure from this tap for a number of years and it's not helped with the two 10mm tails that must reduce even further. Hoping something is around that I can use 15mm full bore tails and isolating valves but all...
Replies
Views
Good evening, I'd like your opinion on something that is worrying me please: my landlady's plumber replaced the bottom/night element of my 20-year-old unvented cylinder (an Ariston Classico HE STD 150) 5 days ago and I hadn't noticed that it was leaking. He fixed the leak today but now the...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Hello, I am fitting new taps and a shower mixer in my en-suite and was looking to isolate the hot water pipes. I have an unvented indirect heating system (have attached some photos). I was wondering if the isolation valve that would shut off the water to the hot water taps is as circled in the...
Replies
Views
I live in an apartment block where generally hot water is supplied from the communal hot water cylinder and cold water to bathrooms is supplied from cold water tanks in the loft. It is a vented system. However, in a basement flat and a ground floor flat cold water supply to bathrooms is...
Replies
Views
A
Hi, I am replacing a kitchen tap and have run into some trouble when connecting the flexi hot and cold pipes to the hot and cold mains pipes. The connection end of the flexi pipe from the tap is a15mm, however the mains pipe I need to connect to is a 12mm. What connector do I need to buy? So far...
Replies
Views
Adam tl
A
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock