Search the forum,

Discuss Unusual shower problem in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
P

Paul2000

Hi, I've got a problem with a power shower. It is a Galaxy G1000LX which is designed for use with a hot water storage tank, but this tank has just been removed and the CH and DHW is now taken care of by a combi boiler. The shower now leaks all the time and we've been told that it can't be fixed, even though it's still under warranty, and needs replacing. What sort of shower can be fitted, ideally one that would cover the hole left by the Galaxy? Thanks in advance.

Last edited by a moderator:
I would guess it wasn't designed for a high pressure system and the seals/ O rings have gone. I don't know that particular make of shower. How about posting an image, there's a good chance other forum members can point you invite right direction.

Hi Paul2000. Plum bob 66 has nailed it.

The galaxy G1000 was designed to accept low pressure (ie tank fed) input and boost it to high pressure - if it is now on mains fed, I am not surprised that its leaking. Its not the showers fault - it is now being used on a system for which it was not designed.
I don't think you will find anything that is the right shape. Any shower designed for high pressure (almost every mixer shower on the market) will do the job, but the Galaxy 1000 is the shape it is because it contains a pump. You don't need or want a pump now.

Thanks Ray, do you have an image of this particular shower for future reference ?

To be honest, the guy who fitted the combi boiler should have alerted you to this problem so you could think about it in advance.

Thanks Ray, do you have an image of this particular shower for future reference ?

To be honest, the guy who fitted the combi boiler should have alerted you to this problem so you could think about it in advance.

I suspect that whoever fitted the combi just glanced at the Galaxy 1000 and presumed it was an electric shower, and therefore wouldn't be affected. At a distance it looks like a leccy shower, and thats what Galaxy are best known for making.

esga1000.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for all the replies. It's my mum's shower so I wasn't there when the new combi boiler was fitted, she just phoned me when the shower started leaking, so I'm not sure if the shower was noticed or not. Would an electric or mixer shower be the best for her because she really liked the power shower and it looks like whatever she gets to replace it won't have as much flow? Luckily she has a couple of spare tiles for the bathroom so it shouldn't be a problem covering the hole left by the Galaxy. What sort of cost do you think would be involved?

Would an electric or mixer shower be the best for her because she really liked the power shower and it looks like whatever she gets to replace it won't have as much flow? Luckily she has a couple of spare tiles for the bathroom so it shouldn't be a problem covering the hole left by the Galaxy. What sort of cost do you think would be involved?

I would go for a mixer shower.

Firstly, both hot and cold supplies are already there.

Secondly, there won't be a thick enough existing electric cable to the shower to run an electric shower, and installing it would be disruptive and potentially quite expensive.

Thirdly, the Galaxy 1000 didn't actually pack much of a punch. Sure, its way better than an unpumped shower from a tank only a few feet above the shower head, but its a pretty puny toy compared with "proper" pumps. Unless you have very low water pressure/flow rate, I think that a normal mixer shower fed by a combi will probably give at least as good, and probably better performance than the old Galaxy.

Just one thought - if mum is elderly, go for a thermostatic shower. They aren't particularly expensive these days, and its worth the upgrade to avoid scalding issues.

I would go for a mixer shower.

Firstly, both hot and cold supplies are already there.

Secondly, there won't be a thick enough existing electric cable to the shower to run an electric shower, and installing it would be disruptive and potentially quite expensive.

Thirdly, the Galaxy 1000 didn't actually pack much of a punch. Sure, its way better than an unpumped shower from a tank only a few feet above the shower head, but its a pretty puny toy compared with "proper" pumps. Unless you have very low water pressure/flow rate, I think that a normal mixer shower fed by a combi will probably give at least as good, and probably better performance than the old Galaxy.

Just one thought - if mum is elderly, go for a thermostatic shower. They aren't particularly expensive these days, and its worth the upgrade to avoid scalding issues.

I second all of this, especially the thermostatic

Thanks for that. Any recommendations on models and a rough idea of cost?

Thanks for that. Any recommendations on models and a rough idea of cost?

The options are plenty, but if you want a cost effective option the triton Luca bar mixer is in the region of £60 at Screwfix and will work well on a pressurised system. That said I would recommend you buy the fixing kit and get a pro in to do it as the hot and cold feeds will need to be adjusted to fit the pipe centres. Hope this helps

The options are plenty, but if you want a cost effective option the triton Luca bar mixer is in the region of £60 at Screwfix and will work well on a pressurised system. That said I would recommend you buy the fixing kit and get a pro in to do it as the hot and cold feeds will need to be adjusted to fit the pipe centres. Hope this helps

Thanks for that, I will get a pro in to fit the shower. What sort of price do you think this would be?

Really depends on your area. It's worth bearing in mind that your new set up will involve a bit of reworking of the pipe for the whole centres if a bar mixer kit is fitted and this is more than likely going to be recessed into the plasterboard perhaps with a noggin across the back to sure it up. Tiles will then have to be hole cut to fit over pipes.

Without seeing the job I could only guess in the region of £150

As I always say why don't you post your requirements in the I'm looking for a plumber section of the forum, there might be member local to you that can help.

Thanks for that, I'll post in the 'I'm looking for a plumber section'.

I suspect that whoever fitted the combi just glanced at the Galaxy 1000 and presumed it was an electric shower, and therefore wouldn't be affected. At a distance it looks like a leccy shower, and thats what Galaxy are best known for making.

View attachment 13779

Thanks for putting me straight, Ray. I agree that it could easily be mistaken for an electric shower with cold water feed.

Hi Paul

From what I can gather your biggest problem will be the positioning of the pipes serving the new shower. The old pipes would be quite close together and unless you run them surface mounted to a wall mounting plate

Surface Wall Mounting Shower Bar Mixer Valve Fixing Kit Chrome Hidden Screws on eBay!

fitted at the correct centres. It would look a bit messy but do the job more cheaply.

Most mixer valves have 150mm pipe centre connections

I would charge between £150 and £200 plus parts

Taking out the old tiles needs a delicate and deft touch!

Hope this helps

Russ

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Unusual shower problem in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock