Search the forum,

Discuss Unstable water pressure in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

DanteA

Hi,
I have no plumbing experience and a small problem - I have been hoping you could share your thoughts and let me know what you think is the best solution.

I have a garage/shed/whatever you want to call it, which has equipment inside, which relies on steady pressure of water to work properly (it dilutes chemicals and any sudden jumps/decreases in pressure affect the mix). Inside this small building, there is a toilet built from a fake/cardboard wall, where there is a water pipe.
pipe.jpg

I have connected the equipment with the main pipe using a plastic 15mm pipe, as shown on the attached diagram. Unfortunately, the pressure is not really steady (it varies a lot) and it is far from being strong.

I was wondering - what should I do?
(a) Is there some small automatic water pipe which I could install between the plastic 15mm pipes to increase and stabilise the pressure?
(b) maybe if I drilled a hole in the wall and re-route the plastic pipe (to go directly from the toilet to the equipment) this would make a big difference to the pressure and its steadiness?
(c) ... or maybe there is something else?

Thank you very much for your kind help and time. I really appreciate it.

Best regards,
Dante

Welcome to the forum! Sounds interesting, What chemicals are you working with first off?? What pressure is your water? Has it been tested? What pressure do you need? Maybe a pressure reducing valve would suit your needs??

It sounds like he want more pressure?

How's the water in the kitchen? That should be off the mains too so it should be the same in the garage/outside tap etc.

Is the plastic pipe linked?

When does it fluctuate? When other taps are turned on?

Hi,
Thank you for the quick replies!

It is a car wash, which is why I need to dilute the chemicals to the proper level. I haven't tested the pressure. In general - in the taps, toilets etc. the pressure is fine.

I am attaching some more pictures to give you an idea about the connection

pipe1.jpg

pipe2.jpg

When you turn on the diluters (and keep them on), the output should be steady. Instead, it is a bit... well, unsteady. It is not the same as e.g. water under the shower losing pressure when you turn on a tap in the kitchen. It is more like being slightly "noisy", as if the pressure varied continuously a bit. I am not sure if I am explaining this correctly...

It is possible that there is some other appliance on the same pipe which is being used, but it is difficult to track (there are jet washes used continuously etc.).

Is there any quick fix/piece of equipment to stabilise the flow? A shower pump or something? Would changing the pipe connection change anything? (to make it more horizontal, rather than going up and then down?)

Thank you for help!

Last edited by a moderator:
You really need to install a break tank because you are contravening the water regulations. Get a plumber as they should know the regulations.

Hmmm but why "wtf"?

Regarding the break tank - thanks for the tips, I will get a plumber to look into it. As a side note - could you please explain why the current set-up is not permitted? There is no risk of backflow (the equipment runs separate pipes for chemicals and water, they are mixed only in the bucket - a bit like old cold and hot water systems).

it contravenes because there is a risk. You might always mix everything in the buckets but there is a possibility of back flow so it needs to be changed.

I vote for a break tank

Hmmm but why "wtf"?

Regarding the break tank - thanks for the tips, I will get a plumber to look into it. As a side note - could you please explain why the current set-up is not permitted? There is no risk of backflow (the equipment runs separate pipes for chemicals and water, they are mixed only in the bucket - a bit like old cold and hot water systems).

How do you know that there is no risk of back flow? It is your responsibility to ensure that you do not pollute the water system and you WILL be fined if they have found out that you haven't taken adequate steps. You may also poison people which isn't nice either.

You can start here: https://www.wras.co.uk/

We have to pass water regulations exams, that how we know this crap.

The people who installed the equipment were quite happy with the solution, but I understand that there still is a risk. I will get a certified plumber to look into it!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Unstable water pressure in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I want to reconnect some outbuildings to an existing water supply. The supply pipe is old 22mm MDPE and buried for a fair distance so not going to dig it up and replace it 😬. Question is can I use normal 22mm plumbing push-fit connectors to make the connection as finding 22mm MDPE fittings...
Replies
Views
The fittings below are for a mixer bar attached to a self contained shower. i.e not a wall. The attaching screws have snapped. I could get two new brackets, dismantle that existing one and start again or I could try and re attach via those screws, removing the broken ones from the plate and wall...
Replies
Views
Hi All I have a leak coming from within my Mira Elite QT shower. It seems to be flowing from behind the switching Control. Any ideas what could be causing this leak. Already Changed the Pump Elbow as one of the clips had popped which was causing a second small leak, Any idea? Is it time to buy...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock