Discuss Uneconomical fix... in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

AlexGas

Esteemed
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Subscribed
Another Baxi Bermuda 401 bites the dust. Hasn't been serviced for yonks. The customer is on about me rebuilding it… See what happens. What’s most uneconomical fix you ever came across?

1bbu401.jpg
2bbu401.jpg3bbu401.jpg

Worcester oil combi about 9 or ten years old, absolutely rotten. Cust spent 700 getting it running right and safe.

Another Baxi Bermuda 401 bites the dust. Hasn't been serviced for yonks. The customer is on about me rebuilding it… See what happens. What’s most uneconomical fix you ever came across?

View attachment 14722
View attachment 14723View attachment 14724

If you actually stripped that down at the request of the customer you are either stuck for work or off your head. One glance with the front of it would put it beyond economical repair.

We have all had the its been a good boiler (yes they were in their day)
Never cost me much in repairs (a thermocouple every time you got it serviced)
I can't afford a new one so if you could get that fixed for me (well you can't afford me to fix it either as the parts and labour will cost more than a new boiler fitted)
sometimes you have to be cruel to be kind.

What would you say is an uneconomical repair? In percentage of cost for new boiler.

I've told them straight away - it had it! There are people who won’t take NO for an answer… I might be off my head... It took me 5 minutes to strip it if that, there’s no effort in it. I’ve told them about energy efficiency – band G, 65%. Even the cost of heat exchangers doesn’t put them off, that’s about 300 each + the rest… There are some strange folks out there… The guy was well positive – thought just a new gasket will put it straight. But when he saw the state of heat exchanger, he asked me for a new boiler quote. Without going into the details, the house will be sold and the dosh will be shared between the parties involved.

Would you believe it!? I’ve been asked to put it back in, how it was... The best I could do for him is ID ticket so he doesn’t get any ideas. The dude is with the hands on or so I’ve been told. The BBU and the fire are out of the house now. I don’t think he gave up on rebuilding it though… What can you do!? Everyone is different…

combustion box and insulation panels are obsolete why did you bother????????

I didn’t bother at all. The dude’s done all the home work . Apparently BAXI can supply the combustion box with insulation panels and HE. But the front of the box, insulation for it and the oval HE seal are obsolete. It’s defo dead!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Uneconomical fix... in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4...
Replies
Views
Hi guys. I'm trying to identify a toilet model before ordering a seat for a customer. I went to what used to be a Roca stockist (they no longer...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I'm would like to extend an existing outside tap to another point in the garden. I'm about to pour a concrete patio and was hoping to...
Replies
Views
I have had a look at previous posts and think I know the answer to this but just before I make it worse could I just check what you think about...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock