Discuss Underfloor heating in new build ... does it comply with regulations? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi ... I'm a keen DIYer who has installed a few systems in the past. My parents have just moved into a new flat and are finding the heating system very difficult to use. I am wondering if the below specification is sensible or even complies with the regulations ...

It's a 2 bedroom flat (with 2 bathrooms) with underfloor heating. There are 6 wall mounted programmable thermostats (Heatmiser), 1 in each bedroom, 1 in the main living room/kitchen, 1 in the hall and 1 outside each bathroom. There are also heated towel rails in each bathroom with TRV's. The system runs from a combi boiler, and there is no central control system at all.

The first issue is that each of the 6 programmable thermostats has to be programmed individually, with no facility to link them together.

Secondly, I noticed that the boiler was running alot, even though all rooms were a few degrees above the thermostat setting. I talked with the site manager who showed me that the heated towel rails in the bathrooms are connected directly to the boiler without any control or timer (just the TRV's). Hence they are potentially on permanently unless someone turns the TRV's down (which he did).

I am bemused that a new build can have such a complicated system to set up and use ... 2 pensioners are required to program 6 separate thermostats and have to remember to turn TRV's up and down to dry towels.

I'd be grateful for any comments on the above. Many thanks in advance.

This is pretty basic design and installation practices that any developer should know really. How the hell that passes NHBC is any ones guess. And why the plumber put it in like this is a joke.

Take the information you have learned and get them to rectify it! You should also ask them if the rest of the development is plumber in the same way. That way if he says no only yours. Then question why only yours? And if he says yes, then why have they passed it all!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Underfloor heating in new build ... does it comply with regulations? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back