Users can remove all display ads (not sponsors) for a small fee. Click for info (must be logged in)

Discuss ufh actuator stuck closed? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
N

nedoakley

Hope someone can help me with a problem one wwith one of the 2 zones on my ufh system.one(downstairs)works fine,the other(upstairs bedroom)fails to heat up.
I've had room thermostat checked and its fine.thought it could be actuator stuck closed.i took top off but pin appears to be up-does that mean it should be open?
I also thought it might be a fault with pump but if i feel the pipes i think i can feel water flowing? Any thoughts would be appreciated
p.s. I'm not a plumber (joiner)

if you remove the actuator and let the system run does it heat up then? are both zones on the same manifold? if not have you checked the valve to the upstairs manifold, is it opening?

Hi joe
thanks for taking time to help.i took off actuator head but loop does'nt seem to be warming up.the pin is not fully out compared to ones on loop thats ok.both are on same manifold

sounds like the pin could be stuck. ive never done it on a ufh manifold but i know with trv's if the pin sticks you can some pliers on it and gently move it. maybe try that just be gentle with it

sounds like the pin could be stuck. ive never done it on a ufh manifold but i know with trv's if the pin sticks you can some pliers on it and gently move it. maybe try that just be gentle with it

If the UF valve works on the same principle as a trv then the pin isn't attached to the valve.
Give it a wallop or two from a hammer and that should sort it out.

Now theres 2 different approaches! i gently lifted pin with pliers but it then returns to its half raised position

if its the same as trv's which i would imagine it is i would tap down on the pinor tap the manifold roughly where the valve seat would be

Last edited:
Is it possible limescale is causing a blockage as i live in a hard water area.how difficult would it be for a plumber to check this?pin seems to move freely but always returns to halfway position.
Could i swop actuator head with one on other loop thats ok to check if theres a wiring fault?

Ufh valves usually work the opposite to trv's.

If your pump is running and heating is on, press the pin down. Hold it there for a few mins and see if everything warms up

The actuator will usually have a tell tale window to tell you if it is open or closed

There may also be a flow meter that will let you know if there is any flow

Got a photo of your manifold?

Last edited:
Heres a couple of pics.pin doesnt want to push down.other ones on working loop are fully out. 2012-09-23 22.09.45.jpg

Ok you do have the up for open valves.

The tell tale that the valve is working is the coloured part rising out of actuator

You can get many replacement parts for the manifold but you may be bast replacing the tip rail manifold (the part with just the stick valve in)
Wirsbo make this product also if the original manufacturer is unavailable.

Sorry I have re read your original post

Does this manifold heat up atall?

Emmeti and uponor are same manifold so sound be able to get parts easy enough

Thanks for all replies.yes , manifold is heating up.theres 3 loops in 2 zones.downstairs zone with 2 loops works fine.upstairs zone with 1 loop is the problem.also thought could be an air lock but thete is a bleed valve on manifold.theres also a rad teed off supply to manifold but i've bled this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to ufh actuator stuck closed? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason...
Replies
Views
S
Hi, I seemed to have a blockage in kitchen sink. A plumber came and cleared all the pipework that is visible inside my home (there was debris and...
Replies
Views
Sonya K
S
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock