Search the forum,

Discuss Training centres.... in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

jase158

I have recently changed my mind on training centres, I used to think that it was just other plumbers getting annoyed about training centres training people in a few weeks rather then Months or even years.

But however I have recently changed my mind.

Don't get me wrong, for the NVQ you cant beat them as you don't need to be employed and have insurance and be taught to suck eggs and have endless visits.

But except for that You cant beat a college.

Simply because......

1. The tech cert is better taught and more time and more experienced people
2. Colleges will not shut down a week after you sign up, is not some back street warehouse that has only got a few rooms in a hired warehouse.
3. Colleges dont charge any extra, everything is included, including resits, extra tuition and any other thing
4. You can be sure they are not trying to fail you on purpose (they get paid extra if you pass)
5. The gas course in my local college is £1900 all in. the training centres want £3000 plus
6. Tech cert in my local college is £500, training centres want £1,000 plus
7. Over all you will pay a lot less going to a college.
8. If the colleges do not provide what they say they will then you can complain, training centres will get back to you in the middle of never.
9. Colleges don't charge assessment fees to come and see you on site
10. Colleges will let you spread the cost monthly without any hassle, interest or stupid high monthly payments.
11. if you fall ill, they will still be there when you are better again.

now the neutral point is that,

Both training centres and colleges will be slow to get paperwork together, will be slow in getting certificates and will be slow to chase things up.

and the bad things about college is
1. you have to do key skills, be employed (for NVQ) and be insured by employer.
2. It is not fast
3. If you are rubbish they will tell you so and wont keep you on the course, just to keep your money.
4. you do get treated a little like a kid and if late or dont turn up, get kicked off.
5. You have to put up with 16-18 year olds who dont all want to be there.

However I know what I would choose. Booking my Gas course later this week and will start in January at College.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Training centres.... in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

My son has an apprenticeship interview for to become a plumber and heating engineer. The have said there will be a multiple choice exam for this for suitability. The thing is my son panics during tests/exams. Is there any book I can buy him to practice the multiple choice test for the exam? What...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended floor. Pic 1 is inside porch, pex temporarily clipped to give an idea of pipe placement (ignore shoddy blockwork of booted cowboy builder!), Pic 2 is...
Replies
Views
Hi All I have a leak coming from within my Mira Elite QT shower. It seems to be flowing from behind the switching Control. Any ideas what could be causing this leak. Already Changed the Pump Elbow as one of the clips had popped which was causing a second small leak, Any idea? Is it time to buy...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock