Discuss Train 4 Trade Skills in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Malhi, after speaking and working to several tradespeople in the field, I reckon that if it's something you want to persue it's definitly worth going back to college. There aren't as many fees and most employer's see courses like t4ts not as valued as college study.
I too thought I couldn't of gone back to college because of work, bills etc, but now I'll be starting an nvq on a low wage as well as working to cover my course fees and bills, should of gone back to college would have been much cheaper!!!!

Re: train 4 trade skills scam

I stumbled across this forum when trying to get information about train4Trades I myself am in the same boat trying to cancel a mis-sold course and not getting very far and getting letters from the finance company.I was told about the shortage of skilled tradesmen and was sucked in. I signed up for an electricians course and all I get is feedback letters about plumbing which I thought was odd then I saw they do computer courses,book keeping the list goes on. has anyone had any luck with cancelling the course?

Please be careful when dealing with these companies that offer high paid jobs at the end. I was curious to find out how these companies went about there business and managed to convince people that spending £4,5,6 + thousands would be worth it. So I made a telephone call to a local company showing an interest in a plumbing course and stated that I was unhappy in my job and looking to retrain.

Initially I asked for details of the costs but no-one would tell me this over the phone and said that a course adviser (they don't like the word sales person) would contact me. I was contacted on many occasions until I agreed to an appointment.

When the 'course advisor' called to confirm the appointment he insisted that both myself and my partner were present on the day. Warning bells - finance agreement talks are due I thought.

Just before the meeting I set up a tape recorder and hi the microphone under the sofa. Now how did the meeting go? Hard Sell, Hard Sell, Hard Sell - that's how.

Like I said I stated that I was unhappy in my job working in a factory on shifts and was thinking of retraining. I was told about the plumbing course and the fact that there was a high shortage of plumbers and that I would be earning £80,000 a year. I was told that it would be a City & Guilds Qualification but the sales rep was unable to give me a qualification number - 6217, 6129 ?????

When I said I wasn't sure due to the cost of the course I was met with the following comments:
What are you going to do? Stay in your dead end job for the rest of your life wishing you had made a change?
Doctors finish their training £15,000 in debt and they don't earn what I will earn in my first year.

All in all they are bad news. I spoke with someone last week who was paying £3000 for a training course that resulted in a OCN qual (which OCN are still trying to locate the qualification information for me) and a Water Regs certificate - average cost of this is £165. Be careful of companies who offer interest free credit as they are carrot dangling. Or saying that you have to pass aptitude tests first and then surprise you are lucky and have been accepted and now here is the cost...

Now there may be some decent distance learning courses out there but check, check, check first. Arrange to visit the centre and talk with students on a one to one basis. Turn up at the centre unannounced to look around. Read and re-read the contract. Check the qualifications exist with the awarding body - eg, you can view all C&G quals on their website.

Good Luck to everyone.

Don't let me put you off - A good friend of mine was unhappy working shifts at a local factory and he has retrained and is now gas safe registered - He went to college in the evening for two years and gained work experience on a weekend but the time did go quickly looking back and it is worth it because he is now very happy in his new work. And that is coming from me and I own a training centre - but I do not state that you will be a qualified trades person - see my FAQ's, but will have basic skills from which to develop and progress from.

Re: train4 trade skills new starter

Module 6 Domestic Hot Water Systems
TMA 6
Question 04: Where should a service valve be located in order to isolate the hot supply from the hot water storage vessel to the taps?
A Primary return
B Primary flow
C Cold feed
D Open vent

The correct answer is Cold feed (C).

I beg to differ. E Hot water feed is the true answer.

Answers A and B both refer to the primary system, to and from the boiler possibly via a pump and radiators, the dwellings heating system and are totally the wrong answers.

Answer C Cold Feed - The name alone should give you a clue. The vagueness of the question and the choice of answers, it would seem to me are designed to trip you up.

…. in order to isolate the hot supply from the hot water storage vessel to the taps? ‘

Cold feed could refer to the Rising Main in a direct/indirect system or, Cold feed from the CWSC to the cold water supply taps (recommended for properties in areas of low mains pressure). In this case, I read and understand it to mean the supply pipe from the CWSC in the loft to the HWSC usually located in an airing cupboard.

THIS COLD FEED is and should be fitted with a Full Bore/Full Way Gate Valve to isolate the cold feed to the HWSC. Nowhere need a hot tap outlet.

I do not believe this was one of the options in the A to D answers.

Unless you fit a temporary end cap blocking off the expansion pipe as it enters the CWSC, thus making the hot water system air tight, you could not isolate the hot water supply to the taps.

……. You would have to fit service valves to the hot water supply pipe, feeding hot water to each hot water outlet/TAPS in order to isolate it.

Answer D Open vent. The other end of the hot water supply pipe
IS THE EXPANSION/OPEN VENT PIPE. Yet I know never to fit anything that could prevent expansion of hot water in the HWSC, it's DANGEROUS risk of EXPLOSION.

As the hot water supply exits the HWSC from the top via 22mm pipe, closely followed by a 90 degree elbow top prevent one pipe Convection circulation and heat loss, it is then fed to a 22mm Tee via 22mm pipe. The section above the Tee is for expansion and the section below the Tee is the hot water supply feed to the various outlets/taps.

I think an update to Module 6 question 4 is required.

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: tony bryden from train 4 trade skills

i am currently on the train 4 trade skills course and i have no problems! no interest loan and it costs £35 per week to pay back and they are very helpful! you learn at your own pace and all costs towards practical assessments are covered for example if the training centre is away from your house the travel and accomodation is covered! no probs people just need to realise there are other ways of learning than goin to college and losing money! this way you can still earn and learn! end off !!!!!

Hi truemanufan I am also training with T4TS and im wondering who you spoke to about getting the costs of travel and accomodation covered. I live in Sheffield and will be going to the centre in Featherstone by public transport, I have spoken to ATL but they said that they do not provide any help with funding so im wondering where you heard it and would appreciate it if you could put me in the right direction. Thanks from andy

Train 4 trade skills are a company i cannot fault.To all you who are thinking of joining the trade,this is no fast track course.its a legit course for those who have mortgages to pay and families to look after.

Once qualified,its the starting point to a sucesfull career.

Hi, I'm new to these forums, but I had a visit from a person from Train 4 Trade skills to my house today, for what I was told over the phone yesterday, would be a preliminary visit to just be given information about the course and the work involved. Whilst I did get all of this information, I was also heavily pressurised into signing up for the course there and then and paying the £100 admin/registration fee straight away, without being given the chance to think about it for a little while and assess my finances (I am currently unemployed). My mum was also sitting in on this meeting with me, and also felt that this tactic was unacceptable, and when I asked if I could have time to think about whether or not to sign up, I was basically told no and that my place would be offered to someone else. A heated discussion ensued between the T4TS representative and my mum, and I left the room to go into the garden as I felt I was being severely belittled and bullied by the T4TS rep. 5 minutes later my mum came out to me in the garden and told me that the T4TS rep had said that plumbing would be my only opportunity to make a career for myself and if I didn't sign up for it I'd never make anything of my life, amongst various other personal insults, to which I told my mum to get rid of him as I wouldn't stand for anyone being that rude about me, especially to my parents, in my house.

Since this visit, we've done research about the company, and found out that they've been reported to Watchdog for their tactics and about their finance agreements, and there was a government petition set up to put them out of business regarding their bullying tactics. Having seen other forums, it is also clear that despite the promise of a lucrative career and world recognised qualifications once the course has finished, very few plumbing companies will recognise them and generally won't touch anyone who achieved their certification through this company.

So anyone thinking of doing any of their courses, please avoid them.

Beth you probably had a bad sales rep, some scum bag desperate too make commision but they are just that sales reps
Years ago a mate of mine worked for a utilities company, knocking doors trying to get new customers to save money on their fuel bills
By tranferring their bills to direct debit with his company. He spent weeks trying to
learn scripts to be able to do the job properly and legally. Aparently, one of the guys he worked got sacked for using his own illegal script.
The dirty bleeder use to knock on the door, tell the owners he was there to read the meter so he could get inside the house, fill out the paper work
and con people into supplying their bank details and signing them over . He lied to obtain money via procuneary messures which is a criminal offence, his actions
didn't do my mate any favours either as he said people started to distrust knocking doors providing legal info and he ended up leaving that job when he stopped making good money.

T4TS provide quality course work to follow and as far as I know provide the only 3D interactive training scenario discs to help
with applying the knowledge you learn in a safe environment.

ATL that do the training are legit. They are accredited with all the relevant organisation, City &Guilds, CORGI, Gas Safe,
WRAS, Bpec, CITB, and regularly train gas and heating engineers, plumbers and electricians. They run full time course,part time courses (day release) and in partnership with T4TS BLENDED LEARNING home study course.
I even found out resently that the are also working with the Princes Trust providing training for kids that didn't do too well at school.

My advice report the rep, he probably came a long way to visit you and didn't want to lose a commision so they resorted to ****ty tactics.
The course is a lot of money your gonna need to be working to do it but it is a genuine blended learning course and not a FAST TRACK course to be avoided

im having all the same problems that have been mentioned here but with the skills centre, or aspire training solutions or ATL (the company gets a bad name and then carries on with another one ive heard) has anybody had similar experiences with the skills centre? the con is the same. ive been disputing it to both the skills centre and the finance company (barclays partner finance) and none of them seem willing to help me. so ive cancelled my direct debit and basically told them to do their worst. any information would be a great help though.. thanks

Please keep feedback constructive.

Originally Posted by Beth

Hi, I'm new to these forums,...............

HOW AND WHY DID YOU FIND THIS PARTICULAR FORUM?
IS THIS A GENUINE ENTRY AND A TRUE ACCOUNT OF EVENTS OR ARE YOU JUST TRYING TO PUT THE FRIGHTENER ON T4TS + Apprenticeship Training Limited STUDENTS, FOR YOUR OWN PERVERSE REASONS? (rival course student, collage apprentice, old school plumbing & heating engineer)

........I was also heavily pressurised into signing up for the course there and then and paying the £100 admin/registration fee straight away, without being given the chance to think about it for a little while and assess my finances (I am currently unemployed).

THAT £100 ADMIN FEE WAS PROBABLY THE REPS COMMISION. SO DID YOU PAY IT OR NOT? IT'S UNCLEAR.

.........I was basically told no and that my place would be offered to someone else.

VERY POOR SALES TACTIC I AGGREE AND I BELIEVE A TOTALLY FALSE STATEMENT.
AS FAR AS I AM AWARE, THERE ARE NO LIMITS TO THE NUMBER OF COURSE PLACES; WHAT IS IT, STANDING ROOM ONLY FOR PLUMBING STUDENTS IN THE UK?

.......5 minutes later my mum came out to me in the garden and told me that the T4TS rep had said that plumbing would be my only opportunity to make a career for myself and if I didn't sign up for it I'd never make anything of my life, amongst various other personal insults,

HOW OLD ARE YOU?

YOU DON'T SAY WHETHER OR NOT YOU ARE BETWEEN THE AGES OR 16 TO 24, IN WHICH CASE YOU COULD STILL MAKE A CAREER FOR YOURSELF BY STUDYING PLUMBING AT YOUR LOCAL COLLAGE. YOUR GONNA NEED ENOUGH GCSE's TO EVEN GET ON THE COURSE IN THE FIRST PLACE THOUGH, AND BESIDES THE ONE DAY A WEEK TRAINING YOU WILL GET (during term times, closed for half terms, summer, easter, etc) YOU WILL HAVE TO FIND A LOW PAID JOB WITH A PLUMBING COMPANY FOR ON THE JOB TRAINING, IF THEY ARE TAKING ANY APPRENTICES ON.

Since this visit, we've done research about the company, and found out that they've been reported to Watchdog for their tactics and about their finance agreements, and there was a government petition set up to put them out of business regarding their bullying tactics.

CAN I SEE THE RESULTS OF YOUR RESEARCH?

WHERE ARE YOU GETTING THIS INFO FROM, ON HERE FROM ANY NUMBER OF THE OTHER SCARE MONGERS? PEOPLE LIE YOU KNOW.

I THINK YOU WILL FIND IT WAS SKILLSTRAIN SELLING OUT OF DATE I.T. COURSES THAT WAS BEEING INVESTIGATED BY WATCHDOG.

I SAW THE REPORT ABOUT Mr. Jan Telensky THE CZECH FOUNDER OF THE HOME STUDY COURSES IN MICROSOFT OFFICE, WEB MASTERS ETC. HOW HE WENT FROM SLEEP ON THE STREETS, TO BEING PHOTOGRAPHED OUTSIDE NUMBER 10 DOWNING STREET SHAKING HANDS WITH THE PRIME MINISTER, TO FLOGGING DODGY HOME STUDY I.T. COURSE, THAT CLAIMED TO BE ACCREDITED BY CISCO SYSTEM AND MICROSOFT AND TURNED OUT TO BE OUT OF DATE.

[DLMURL="http://www.1888pressrelease.com/skillstrain-boss-joins-british-pm-in-honouring-kids-pr-11k274olk.html"]SkillsTrain Boss Joins British Pm In Honouring Kids by Skillstrain/mary Stuart-miller[/DLMURL]

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Train 4 Trade Skills in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi everyone, Looking for a bit of advice, recently went to a job where heating was operating when called for however not for the hot water. I...
Replies
Views

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back