Discuss Train 4 Trade Skills in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for that Ivor, it seems there are too many people trying (as its already been mentioned) to get a quick fix of money in these current times. I wish there were others like yourself who would give us improvers as you say a chance/assistance. I fully appreciate experience is the key and it's certainly not gained in the workshops on courses. It puts a bad ill feeling towards those like myself who are genuinely trying to get fully qualified, make a go of their careers and succeed.

Luckily I have customers who, when I am in the position to, are willing to give a bit of their time to help me through to get my nvq2. That's the start to been able to then start looking for an employer to take on an improver/plumbers mate to progress with the experience part. Then some years later and the nvq3 plus hopefully gas I can possibly think of self employment or partnership.

I'm not on here trying to get people's backs up just trying to look for guidance and help from those already experienced wise qualified plumbers.

Hi
I would be very careful of train 4 trade skills...I have been on the course for over 18 months and have found the customer care woeful and unhelpful..The organisation of the college is shocking and the whole course does not fit in with a full time job at all...I feel cheated and don't want anybody else to get get shafted.
Please be aware of the saleman that comes to your door and lies to your face...they will claim colleges are close and will fit in around you,the course fits in with your work etc etc....All lies.
Whenever you call for ADMIN assistance you are told a different lie and told to call back.
Hope this saves just one family the 4k I regret paying in these times,

i have cancelled my direct debit with barclays,also have written to t4ts and barcleys stating i am cancelling the course and no longer wish to continue with it, i have stated various reasons for cancelling but t4ts keep sending back letters saying they can fast track my course and that the qualifications i recieve are not being phased out and that luckily i will get £30 per day for fuel and digs when i go on my practical sessions(wow i live 600 miles from nearest centre)......i am just continuing to write to barclays and t4ts stating i am cancelling my course , i also believe the 6129 is being phased out and replaced by a diploma that requires 3 years onsite experience, is this true or just hearsay as i could always use more ammo. i have also contacted summitskills as i believe t4ts have no right to use there logo or excerts from there website .summitskills are launching an investigation so we will see what happens.t4ts dont seem to care if circumstances change they just want their(my) money......well not anymore their not....

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi pepsi
I hope you do get your money back and are able to cancel...I have already paid over 2k and keep hitting a blank wall regarding even getting to the workshop which luckily for me is only 90miles away (not local at all as described)....As for the phasing out of 6129 when I asked this question I was told it is and always will be valid????????...I feel cheated just like you!...I am going to call one last time today to see if I get any help...if they fail again I am seeking advice from a solicitor friend as how to proceed...I have started keeping a track of all the phone calls and lack of help...I suggest you do the same..I would think there are hundreds of us out there complaining about train4tradeskills....

hi rk660......i have not tried to phone t4ts as anything said is hearsay, i have always written to t4ts or barclays and sent the letters recorded delivery. luckily i only started with t4ts in feb this year so havent paid them that much,only £700, compared to what others have paid them .....i am refusing point blank to reinstate my direct debit ,also sending more letters stating i am no longer doing the course......if i get any money back it will be a bonus if not then lesson learnt(the hard way)

looks like the 6129 will be extended againt because the government wish to offer full time training, which aint possible with the new diploma, it will still go but may be replaced, watch this space as they say

I have been doing 6129 tech cert level 2 with the water regs etc. I agree with a lot of these posts, they are a shambles and the course certainly does not fit around you. I have been messed around no end when trying to book onto practical assessments. I guess I have been doing the course for the best part of 3 years now, having to fit the practical weeks around my holidays in my current job. I have completed the first 6 weeks passing all the C&G exams (about 13 in total needing 80% to pass) including water regs and energy efficency. These are legit exams. (I did check with C&G) However the let down part in my mind was the inconsistancy in the practical training and how lax they were in terms of quality. I am a bit of a perfectionist and found the practical side very easy as my current job is very hands on. There were some guys who were really struggling springing leaks everywhere and generally just not getting it, and I found myself trying to help them aswell. When it came to the assessments the assessors didn't really seem to fail anyone! Despite the fact some of the work was awful it was still getting signed off! I found this annoying as it makes a mockery of the whole system. Its quite worrying as surely the whole idea is to promote quality work and to make sure the person carrying out the work definately knows what he or she is doing. I am now waiting to get booked on my weeks 7-8 unvented and gas maintainance, but true to form they have now thrown a new H&S exam into the mix 300 pages of revision and an online test which I have failed twice. They can't say what the pass rate is or give any feed back its just a straight pass or fail. I am sure this is just another stalling tactic as they are over booked and under staffed. This has now messed up the holiday I saved to do the practical and means the course will drag on for longer. It is not fast track! I want to eventually do my NVQ2/3 and gas safe. I very much doubt it will be with T4TS. I just hope this all pays off eventually and that this isn't one big costly mistake! T4TS have so far delivered on the qualifications they said I would get, its just been at their pace not mine! Good luck to anyone else doing the course!

I've spoken to a couple of reps, the first was from "New Career Skills" (NCS) and that one shared a similar setup, but was priced at £6300 the C&G L2 in plumbing and heating, and £7300 to get through the part-p.

The second, was t4s and
From what I've learned, that was
L2 course = £3950 (£110pm)
L3 course = £5700 (monthly costs?)

Both acted as sales reps, which didn't affect me all that much, (I used to be in sales, so I saw it for what it was, regardless of how "desirable" their final result would be)
One major disappointment with NCS was however, when it came to pricing, the NCS rep wrote all his prices on a sheet of lined a4 paper, which looked very unprofessional.
It would have been better if he produced an official looking book with the price lists in it (Like T4s did).

One of my colleagues in the building trade has done a similar course and did spend about £7k, and he openly admitted that he wouldn't have been able to make ends meet after "graduating", where he was left out in the cold, so to speak with little knowledge of how to make the qualifications into more than a few fancy bits of paper, if it wasn't for his finding work in our small builders firm, he would struggle to make ends meet.

So, with that in mind, I am realistic in how such qualifications wouldn’t lead to instant results, and, thankfully, both reps made it clear that I wouldn't suddenly become the most employable person around, it would take work and graft to make something of myself, and they gave realistic levels of income, though I did notice both groups offered assistance in finding employment etc.

As with many, they spouted the hype of plumbers being in short supply etc (bucket of salt came to mind), and while I know my colleague has a few jobs lines up, that’s no guarantee I'll be able to manage the same

Okay, so it comes down to a simple question or three.
I have perused the forum dialogue and found many pro's and cons, and I fully realize the above courses won't make you a fully qualified, employable plumber, regardless of what the fancy booklets they gave me claims but it DOES give you written qualifications and a STEPPING STONE (or is that baby step?) towards becoming a fully qualified plumber.

From what I gather, it will only build you to a level where you could make a living as a self-employed plumber, or improve your skills base...

I already work as a general builder in a small builders and decorators firm, but most of what I learned is self-taught or learned through working with my peers, and as such, I don't have any formal qualifications.
Unfortunately, thanks to the current financial climate, I can't afford to stop working and go the route of college (however, I may consider evening courses, after what I've learned)

My goal, was to use a course like the one t4t offers to build on my skills and knowledge base, including put some written qualifications under my hat, I already know I could work with one of the firms people to gain the practical experience in things like bathroom and kitchen fitting, (though they would subcontract out for boiler work), but would spending that kind of money on an L2 or L3 course be worth my while?

p.s. thanks to whoever it was who mentioned you won't be able to do any practical work in "their workshops" until you've paid a minimum of £1300, that was something I didn't know.
G

Last edited by a moderator:
If you really think about this, you could self teach yourself the plumbing. It is not hard to do the basics in plastic and there is no need to get any formal qualifications to do it. I'm not saying this is right or the proper way to do it but these courses will offer you as much practical learning as a week watching toms tips on you tube. You will never(very unlikely ever to) be employable after a course with anyone so you will be self employed anyway. Get the mask out and go for it lol.
Btw the plunbing and gas trades are just as bad as everything else. Sometimes what you know is maybe better :wink:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Train 4 Trade Skills in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi everyone, Looking for a bit of advice, recently went to a job where heating was operating when called for however not for the hot water. I...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock