Discuss Train 4 Trade Skills in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
hi this is a very interesting post as im battling to find the right course for me but this sounds absolutely perfect please can you forweard on details of exactly what course you did with trade for skills and what sort of work you got after. id really appreciate a speedy reply as I have an interview with access2 trade careers tomorrow doing a plumbing and gas course which is 6028???

thanx for your time and help

marcelle

Re: tony bryden from train 4 trade skills

where are you all going to go when you finish these cources,check with local plumbers in your area to see about employment,you may change your mind about spending your money.and its not just old plumbers not wanting you to become plumbers,its lack of work in the industry.and as i found out the other day from a freind of my son who has done a fast track course,he called me in to sort out something he was not sure of,his mate who did the course with him ,thought he new better than any plumber who qualified more than two days before him, so its not all one way

Sorry but 'these people' are not necessarily 'gits'. They are salesmen. Selling is a legitimate profession in order to earn a living. If there is an issue with misrepresentation on any aspect (this applies for any training company) - contact trading standards. Route out and expose the cowboys!! Anyone signing up for, or contemplating entering the plumbing trade (trade is not a dirty word - it means skill and something anyone having it should be proud of) needs to be wary of salesmen (as in any other arena). The bottom line is :- Is there work after training? Is there any work at all? Are you looking to go self-employed or hope for employment with a firm? Can you hack being self-employed? Can your partner if you have one? Can you bide your time whilst building a business? Is the course worth the money?. Is plumbing for you? Ask youselves ALL these questions BEFORE signing with any firm and DO some research. Yes there is work out there but not a lot and prices are lower than ever: competition is fierce! Lastly gang, remember - if and when you face the big wide world with your new tools and skills, you will have to become salesmen yourselves coz work sure-as hell wont come knocking on your door. For the record, I run a small plumbing concern: I am not a training provider salesman or linked with or to any training provider.

Last edited:

I agree with bcp 100 per cent. I did a fast track course at the beginning of this year and have been in business for about 4 months. Its hard going, its a struggle.

Courses don't teach the intricasies of plumbing, the problems you come across, what to expect, what happens when it goes wrong. what to do if you just don't know what to do. What to carry on the van. What to charge, when that 30 minute job turns into 4 hours and its one thing after the other.

Yep, its fun on the course, thinking you've turned the water off, soldered all the joints correctly but as soon as you go into a house there's no fun then.... that mistake is expensive. You haven't quite frozen that pipe although you've followed the instructions..........

I can honestly say that I have never read instructions on packets as much as I have in the last few months. These fast track courses can do many things but they can never give you experience....... I am leaning something new every job, even if its a tap washer.

Everyone must be careful when handing over that amount of money and not make an on the spot decision, my advice, think very carefully before handing over a huge amount of money, Plumbing is not an easy route to riches, its extremely hard work with many highs and lows. If you need a regular income with paid holiday and sick leave do not go down the self employed route.

I tried applying for the college route but it was still going to cost me a lot and I was too old for most of the courses, so fast track was my only option.

Having said about the self employed route, dependent on your age and financial needs it may be the only route.

Whatever you decide college or fast track. Good luck and expect hard work.

if u dont have an nvq u will have probs getting work - nvq's are work based as well as theory - from what u are saying you havent done this
trade 4 trade have had more bad press then good so gives us an idea - there are pros and cons
i done a course which i had to pay for because the government wont help people over a certain age as far as education is concerned and took that over 2 years so was able to digest everything
some courses like this are ok i would say to do
obviously if u are leavin school get on a full time course for nothing !

another spot on post secret
was putting a boiler and 4 rads in the other day in a void house so no flooring/carpets turned water on fine
fired up the heating pipe expanded and pop pin hole on a joint water spurting out :(:(

Secret I am with you totally...

I retire when I am 50ish... Problem is that's to old too get gainful college experience over a two/three year course. I will need a fast track course and then go it alone and build on experience and learn and start off slowly...

I will be in the lucky position of having money and backing to do this even if it doesn't work out... I don't want to retire and sit and be bored every day. I will just try and tag along to some bigger jobs with someone else and hopefully the country will be a little more straight by then and there will be jobs for everyone !!!!!!!!! Pigs may fly to.....

Re: train4 trade skills new starter

I loved train 4 trades. I rushed through my first books as I was so excited only to then have to wait 7 months to get on my first practical. when i finnally got to go on it i was shocked to find out it was in wakefield or luton, I was sold that the course was in scotland! When I did get to wakefield I found that I wasn't alone, 6 other scots were told the same thing and others were also told the training centre was near them. The trouble didn't stop there. when i got to weeks 3and4 practicals (6 months after compleating tma's) we were taught the opposit to things in the books, the exam question had things that we were never told (1 out of 16 people passed). There were so many other problems that I could go on all day listing. During break time in the busy tearoom someone got up on a table and asked "is anyone satisfied with t4ts?" There was a few second silence followed by roars of laughter.
I have made my name anon as at the moment 11 of us have clubbed together to take t4ts to court.

Re: train4 trade skills new starter

don't worry about water regs. Its open book and the test even gives you the page AND paragraph to look in.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Train 4 Trade Skills in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi everyone, Looking for a bit of advice, recently went to a job where heating was operating when called for however not for the hot water. I...
Replies
Views

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock