Discuss Train 4 Trade Skills in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
call me daft, but surely if your paying a fee for a course, and later they say "we pay you up to 300 quid a week for accomodation" where would this money come from?
maybe im naive but i reckon warning lights would flash!

good luck
shaun

Re: Train 4 trade skills (t4ts)

i am training with t4t skills and they help with running your own business, any one going down the employed route who cant get employed t4t will get a work placement for you in your local area for your nvq work based assesments.
to answer your question " is it worth it" its worth it if you put in the effort and do what you have to do to make it in this industry.

work placement for nvq is not getting a paid job.
any paid jobs going out there at the moment i'm affraid will have at least a dozen well experienced guys after them and on the self employed route, your trying to compete in a cut throat market against seasoned pro's trying to survive now your trying to stand toe to toe. hello...
but good luck.

im training with t4ts and i can see wat redsaw is saying, im only 4 months into my course so can t compete with the pro's yet but i have a buisiness background and personally i think at least 75% percent of fast trackers will have to go down the self employed route. from my experience in dealing with plumbers that have let me go out and work with them, none of them seem to want to drop their prices in the current economic climate, they say they need to get as much money as possible from the work they do have, which i can understand.. but, personaly i would slash prices by at least a third on big jobs, bite the bullet and do some proper advertising and im sure you would get some work if your prices were a lot cheaper than the competition. when i am qualified i will advertise as plumber, doing gas as well, i wll have someone i can sub work out to , obviosly getting my small cut and along with that and the knowledge and experience watching the guy do the work, if he dont like it, he can get stuffed and ill find someone who does want the work.. anyone doing one of the fast track courses just remember,there are people on here whohave managed to run succesful buisiness's and i can also tell you another fact, there are lot of people out there who have passed there courses and have got nowhere because they dont realise theat just because you have passed a plumbing course and got your qualifications that you will be automatically good at running a buisiness, running a buisiness is going to be lot harder then passing your course.. sorry to have gone off the subject a bit, you know how it is!!! just one last thing, id just like to say, i never realised how hard a plumbers a life is, you guys deserve every penny you get.. hopefully this reccession will be over in the next decade!!

apparently its a new thing that they are not exactly shouting about, i found out about it on here!

im not bitching and i am writing this with a little grin and confused, but...

me tooo. s/emp

look the best place to start is getting work with your local councils where you can learn more and there standard is not that high anyway, not for the schite i have seen at least so wait till you can get on.

economic climate?
proper advertising?

my ad bill this year is short of £7k
i have earnt more this year than last year already, and yes, i could now work for a pound a day plus expenses, (come to think, i am as i am training for my gas card and my titearse mate wont pay me) do you want to compete with me noww? wake up.
all that would do is de-valuate public opinion as to how much a plumber is worth and before long we will be on the same rate as a gardener (£8 per hour here).

slash your prices you say?
immagine god forbid, some one near to you has a serious problem in their health.
you have 2 choices to fix it........

1, harley st , 1st class service and expertise guarentted to solve the problem £8,000.
2, romania, bring your own sandwiches £800.
q: who will you book with?

its the same where ever you go, people in the u.k know you get what u pay for and your most welcome to the krap as while you work 3 times harder for a third less, why be a plumber in the first place?, yes, to earn a descent living.

finally, if you are dropping your prices 33% from every one else and taking on gas jobs that you admit you cannot do, how the hell are you expecting to sub it out to a gas engineer who should be charging more than you anyway and be expecting a cut of the top for you.?.

not being personal here but i would also tell you to get stuffed and wait untill that customer rang me...

looking up at the clouds in expectation is one thing
but not if you have just gone over the edge of the cliff................................................................................................................

im training with t4ts and i can see wat redsaw is saying, im only 4 months into my course so can t compete with the pro's yet but i have a buisiness background and personally i think at least 75% percent of fast trackers will have to go down the self employed route. from my experience in dealing with plumbers that have let me go out and work with them, none of them seem to want to drop their prices in the current economic climate, they say they need to get as much money as possible from the work they do have, which i can understand.. but, personaly i would slash prices by at least a third on big jobs, bite the bullet and do some proper advertising and im sure you would get some work if your prices were a lot cheaper than the competition. when i am qualified i will advertise as plumber, doing gas as well, i wll have someone i can sub work out to , obviosly getting my small cut and along with that and the knowledge and experience watching the guy do the work, if he dont like it, he can get stuffed and ill find someone who does want the work.. anyone doing one of the fast track courses just remember,there are people on here whohave managed to run succesful buisiness's and i can also tell you another fact, there are lot of people out there who have passed there courses and have got nowhere because they dont realise theat just because you have passed a plumbing course and got your qualifications that you will be automatically good at running a buisiness, running a buisiness is going to be lot harder then passing your course.. sorry to have gone off the subject a bit, you know how it is!!! just one last thing, id just like to say, i never realised how hard a plumbers a life is, you guys deserve every penny you get.. hopefully this reccession will be over in the next decade!!

surprised that while still training you are talking of slashing prices and subbing out work well ime surprised if these people are so succesfull why they are trying to move into a very stressfull market of self employed plumber
the streets are not paved with gold for plumbers and it takes a good 3-4 years to just be competent and a lot longer to be good
plumbers do deserve every penny its not an easy road to be a good qualified plumber and slashing prices is a good way to drive down the earning potential for this trade

why would an experienced gas guy sub to a beginer and also give him a cut??

Last edited by a moderator:
its not £300 per week, its £30 a day mon- fri 4 nights £120 still cant grumble, i'm sure some will though

I agree that dropping prices is a bad idea, it would be like saying to your current employeer "I know times are tough so why not cut my wages to help you out"

I am doing the T4TS course and have never fallen under the imperssion it will be easy money. If I wanted an easy life I would stick with my current job.

I am doing the course because I enjoy plumbing and I want a job that will continue to challange me for years to come.

As this part of the fourm is about the courses I am happy with t4ts so far the material has been a good mix and I will happily answer any questions about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Train 4 Trade Skills in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi everyone, Looking for a bit of advice, recently went to a job where heating was operating when called for however not for the hot water. I...
Replies
Views

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock