Search the forum,

Discuss Top fixing toilet seat in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
N

neiln

I have a back-to-wall toilet and the seat has come loose. I can't get underneath and behind the pan to tighten the screws. I need a top fixing so i can tighten it from above although locating a fixing i can retrofit to the current seat is proving difficult to find.

A suggestion where i can find a top fixing is appreciated. (or a range of top fix seats...)
neil

I have a back-to-wall toilet and the seat has come loose. I can't get underneath and behind the pan to tighten the screws. I need a top fixing so i can tighten it from above although locating a fixing i can retrofit to the current seat is proving difficult to find.

A suggestion where i can find a top fixing is appreciated. (or a range of top fix seats...)
neil

whats the craic
plumbers generally use flexi hose to connect to w c , so as these closed in toilets can b taken out easily.
will it not come out for u .only toilet i could not take out was gripfilled to floor and wall.that came out in the end though,with a lump hammer. i know the type of seat u are after and all i would say is try the local shops in your area.best of luck

Re: Replacing a top fixing toilet seat

Had a customer on Friday needing this, replacing whole toilet seat so just got my merchant to order good quality seat with same fixings around Ā£40.00.. good back up though..

Thxs

Hi,

Have a look at blind hole fixing kit jewsons do them, can fix new seat fom top, instructions provided, fitted hundreds just make sure you follow manufacturers instructions (as always):D

Well, after my original post and talking to the wife I decided to persue a colour match toilet seat.
Armitage shanks recommended: Brokenbog.com - Retro & Discontinued Bathrooms. I got an exact colour match but a slightly different design. It was a bottom fitting seat but fortunately it was also friendly to a top fixing procedure. All I needed was the seat as it comes plus two Well Nuts. Brilliant... problem solved!! By the way brokenbog overcharge for the well nuts. See my link in original article to get these.

----------
Here is my original post again:

Well,

To anyone who finds this thread, you will find information that took me nearly two days to find.
You have found yourself in the unfortunate situation of breaking your toilet seat, only to discover that your toilet bowl does not have access from underneath to allow fixing of standard toilet seats (ie where the hinge requires a nut to be attached from underneath the bowl, to secure the seat). This is when you encounter the world of top fix, top fitting, top fixing, well nuts, blind hole fixing, ridiculously priced original manufacturers replacement seats etc. You have been to B&Q, Wickes, everywhere else you can think of, bought toilet seats and taken them back home only to discover that they cannot be fitted to your 'blind hole' 'top fixing' toilet bowl.
Well here is an end to the pain:

1. No doubt like me you have a coloured suite, a colour that does not match any of the 'standard' bathroom colours anymore. If you have one of the 5 or 6 available colours you are lucky. Just ask for that colour seat at any of the online outlets you can easily find on a google search. Just make SURE that the info says that the seat is TOP FIXING.
A top fixing seat should come with the hinge and the Well Nuts required to attach the hinge to the bowl. The Well nuts are the main piece that enable the hinge to be secured to the toilet bowl without having access from below. A Well nut is an assembly consisting of a rubber shrouded nut about 2 inches long, including an associated bolt. This is used to secure the hinge to the toilet bowl. By tightening the bolt (after pushing the rubber shrouded piece through the opening in the top of the toilet bowl) the rubber balloons out, securing the hinge to the bowl.
Beware that some top fixing seats do not come with Well Nuts. See the following link to get these:
W.C. Seats, Connectors & Accessories
Scroll down to 'Toilet seat fixings' and you will see them listed there. Two for Ā£3.80.

2. So if you are at this step, you have a coloured suite that cannot be matched. So like me you are probably looking for a wooden or wood effect seat that is top fixing. Dream on. The only top fixing ones are plastic or mdf painted varieties. And the vast majority are either black or white. So what now:

You need to solve the problem in two stages:
a) See the following link:
Blind Hole Toilet Seat Hinges

Here you will see the bracket /hinge and Well Nut combination assembly.

b) To the above you just need to add a wooden seat, and screw this to the assembly. The trick (which I STILL need to solve) is finding a seat that has no pre-drilled holes in it).

And that's it!

Good luck.
PS if anyone finds a source of wooden seats with no pre-drilled holes, please let me know (private email). Don't know if the forum will allow me to post my email but here goes anyway: [email protected]

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Top fixing toilet seat in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. Itā€™s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
The fittings below are for a mixer bar attached to a self contained shower. i.e not a wall. The attaching screws have snapped. I could get two new brackets, dismantle that existing one and start again or I could try and re attach via those screws, removing the broken ones from the plate and wall...
Replies
Views
I want to reconnect some outbuildings to an existing water supply. The supply pipe is old 22mm MDPE and buried for a fair distance so not going to dig it up and replace it šŸ˜¬. Question is can I use normal 22mm plumbing push-fit connectors to make the connection as finding 22mm MDPE fittings...
Replies
Views
Hi. I need a new toilet supply line but donā€™t know the size type of the fitting at the shut off valve. It is not 3/8 compression. It is a plastic nut about the same size as the one going into the cistern but has a different thread. Attached is a photo. Can you advise. Thanks.
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock