Currently reading:
Too much inhibitor?

Discuss Too much inhibitor? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

GerrythePlumber

I recently went to a job where the 3 port motorized valve was sticking open. The rads were heating in hot water only mode. I had replaced this valve two years ago. My first thought was sludge in the system. When I tested the water I could not detect any corrosion. The water was yellow, Could there be too much inhibitor the system. Anyone know?

noble metals are metals that are resistant to corrosion and oxidation. copper certainly oxidises when used as a roofing material.

Had a plumbing firm down here that would put a bottle of inhibitor in a system on each service

After many years they started to get alot of leaks in the heating system

Found that there was too much inhibitor and it started to eat thru all the metal work

They got alot more work off the site thou.

But lesson learnt for me, in a house just the 1 litre and on larger commercial I do a rough calc. Settle for a week, then sentinel system check it just to be sure. For £35 it has made me alot of money when I show the maintenance manager / FM of the lengths I have been to, to ensure a good system

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ben,

Im pretty sure that my last post, prior to this one, not only made a claim, but then substantiated it with two sources, last time I sat down with a lawyer (divorce) that was enough for a judge. Come to think of it you sound a bit like my ex wife, you have a bee in your bonnet and rather than show why you think your right you just repeat your opinion! Is that you Helen?

For those who couldn't be bothered to follow the link I posted, here is the synopsis;

This term can also be used in a relative sense, considering "noble" as an adjective for the word "metal". A "galvanic series" is a hierarchy of metals (or other electrically conductive materials, including composites and semimetals) that runs from noble to active, and allows designers to see at a glance how materials will interact in the environment used to generate the series. In this sense of the word, graphite is more noble than silver and the relative nobility of many materials is highly dependent upon context, as for aluminium and stainless steel in conditions of varying pH.[SUP][7][/SUP]
In physics, the definition of a noble metal is even more strict. It is required that the d-bands of the electronic structure are filled. Taking this into account, only copper, silver and gold are noble metals, as all d-like band are filled and don't cross the Fermi level.[SUP][8][/SUP] For platinum two d-bands cross the Fermi level, changing its chemical behaviour; it is used as a catalyst. The different reactivity can easily be seen while preparing clean metal surfaces in ultra high vacuum; surfaces of "physical defined" noble metals (e.g., gold) are easy to clean and stay clean for a long time, while those of platinum or palladium, for example, are covered by carbon monoxide very quickly.[SUP][9][/SUP]

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry it has gone this far. Job done. Money in pocket. Going to the pub. Just one thing to say. Cuprosolvency. Cheers:1eye:

Ben,

Im pretty sure that my last post, prior to this one, not only made a claim, but then substantiated it with two sources, last time I sat down with a lawyer (divorce) that was enough for a judge. Come to think of it you sound a bit like my ex wife, you have a bee in your bonnet and rather than show why you think your right you just repeat your opinion! Is that you Helen?

LOL - Is that you Helen...V funny. :)

Ben,

Im pretty sure that my last post, prior to this one, not only made a claim, but then substantiated it with two sources,
Had a look at your last post before this one.
Your "substantiation" is not particularly impressive; the link to Google does not lead to anything that says copper is included in the list of noble metals, and the claim " because my wife says so" does not really impress either.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Too much inhibitor? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Back