Discuss Too much inhibitor? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

GerrythePlumber

I recently went to a job where the 3 port motorized valve was sticking open. The rads were heating in hot water only mode. I had replaced this valve two years ago. My first thought was sludge in the system. When I tested the water I could not detect any corrosion. The water was yellow, Could there be too much inhibitor the system. Anyone know?

No you can't overdose with inhibitor, did you replace the valve?

I have my own test kit. Cu, Fe, Hardness, etc. Water went cloudy but stayed yellow. Readings were off the scale on the good side. Never came across this before. Weird. I'm replacing the valve tomorrow. Wonder if I should Powerflush the existing inhibitor out and start again. The bloke is a bit of a DIYer. I wonder if he's used some other chemical in the system

Inhibitor should be 1%. What if it was say 20%. Wouldn't this make everything in the system sticky.

Your right there is a percentage to water ratio and it does say on the bottles how much to pour in , it is a bit gloopy so possibly i suppose it could alter performance of valves . Like i say i have had a water sample come back with to much inhibitor so i would say to much is as bad as to little otherwise the sample would not have come back .

vailants di ave a problem a few year back with some inhibitors swelling therubber ball in their divertor valves so its possible

Just spoke to Steve at the Powerflush association. Apparently there can't be too much inhibitor. That's why they don't print a limit on the amount you use. I now suspect that something else has been added. I read on another forum that some guy had used fairy liquid and was bragging about it. I'm flushing it anyway. Thanks for all your help.I'll let you know the outcome

I though of leak sealer. I've never used it. so I don't know what colour it makes the water

there can not be to much inhibitor if we speak of sentinel or fernox products

I used to work for a company ewho would take regular water samples of any new install , the sample kits were sentinal and not only myself but other installers would recieve call backs about to much inhibitor on water samples . we would get a data sheet from sentinal with the data breakdown of the water content even had one fail on to much copper content with one install even tho the install was copper pipe ,,,,,,,work that one out !!!

I have tested for water borne copper content. Can't get a reading. The water doesn't change from the bright yellow colour. It does change colour when I test the iron content. But it's a lower reading than the incoming mains. This tells me there is inhibitor present. When I test for molybdate it goes off the scale. i.e. bright yellow, the same colour.

Changed the synconous motor. Pin moves by hand. Causes water hammer as expected as I turn it faster than the motor can

tbh i think you just have a duff valve nothing to do with over dosing just put a new one in and bill the custard its out of warranty anyway,or speak to Honeywell and try and blag a free one

Thanks everyone. I'm flushing it and fitting a new valve.

Inhibitor should be 1%. What if it was say 20%. Wouldn't this make everything in the system sticky.
Theoretically it can start foaming I think, but that would involve somebody accidentally buying £300 worth of inhibitor and then sticking 20 bottles in by mistake rather than one.
What are the chances of that happening?

I have made lots of money from people that failed to add inhibitor when needed, but still have to make my first penny from the negative results of too much inhibitor. Empirical evidence suggests that the risk of overdosing inhibitor are negligible.

Problem solved. I went into the blokes loft today and found, lying next to the F&E tank, a bottle of Sentinel X400 sludge remover. He picked it up in B&Q. It's been going round his system for 2 years. Now the question is, What harm has it done?

Sludge remover in a system for two years. Dear me, that's not healthy.

Anyway, thought I'd add to this thread:

Too much inhibitor can cause the tell tale green streaks from AAV's. Apparently it foams, and logically foam won't make the float rise up in the valve...and the foam will bubble from the AAV. I've never actually come across it, but was told about it on a manufacturers course years ago. He added that you would have to use a lot of inhibitor.

I always make sure I over dose systems slightly. It'll do them more good than harm.

... bottle of Sentinel X400 sludge remover. It's been going round his system for 2 years. Now the question is, What harm has it done?
Probably not a whole lot. Most, if not all of this stuff is biodegradable and after a few months the situation is pretty much back to what it was.

Just do a new chemical flush as if nothing has been done at all, and you'll be ok.

we had fernox at one of our team talks and they said after a while the cleaner basically just stopped working and didnt do anything

I used to work for a company ewho would take regular water samples of any new install , the sample kits were sentinal and not only myself but other installers would recieve call backs about to much inhibitor on water samples . we would get a data sheet from sentinal with the data breakdown of the water content even had one fail on to much copper content with one install even tho the install was copper pipe ,,,,,,,work that one out !!!

Gaspaste mate, the reason we get tested on copper being in solution is that copper is a noble metal and hardly ever corrodes, the only time it really does is if theres far too much flux in the system otherwise, even if the rads and heat exchanger were made of copper, you wouldnt have even 1ppm in the sample that went to sentinel/fernox.

noble metals are metals that are resistant to corrosion and oxidation. copper certainly oxidises when used as a roofing material.

Had a plumbing firm down here that would put a bottle of inhibitor in a system on each service

After many years they started to get alot of leaks in the heating system

Found that there was too much inhibitor and it started to eat thru all the metal work

They got alot more work off the site thou.

But lesson learnt for me, in a house just the 1 litre and on larger commercial I do a rough calc. Settle for a week, then sentinel system check it just to be sure. For £35 it has made me alot of money when I show the maintenance manager / FM of the lengths I have been to, to ensure a good system

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

where about are you based ? and what is the company you worked for ? and how long ago was it ?

stan

Google it
1 I don't need to google it, I know what noble metals are.
2 Googling it won't tell me what YOU base that on.
3 None of the two common definitions include copper in the group of noble metals.

Ben,

Im pretty sure that my last post, prior to this one, not only made a claim, but then substantiated it with two sources, last time I sat down with a lawyer (divorce) that was enough for a judge. Come to think of it you sound a bit like my ex wife, you have a bee in your bonnet and rather than show why you think your right you just repeat your opinion! Is that you Helen?

For those who couldn't be bothered to follow the link I posted, here is the synopsis;

This term can also be used in a relative sense, considering "noble" as an adjective for the word "metal". A "galvanic series" is a hierarchy of metals (or other electrically conductive materials, including composites and semimetals) that runs from noble to active, and allows designers to see at a glance how materials will interact in the environment used to generate the series. In this sense of the word, graphite is more noble than silver and the relative nobility of many materials is highly dependent upon context, as for aluminium and stainless steel in conditions of varying pH.[SUP][7][/SUP]
In physics, the definition of a noble metal is even more strict. It is required that the d-bands of the electronic structure are filled. Taking this into account, only copper, silver and gold are noble metals, as all d-like band are filled and don't cross the Fermi level.[SUP][8][/SUP] For platinum two d-bands cross the Fermi level, changing its chemical behaviour; it is used as a catalyst. The different reactivity can easily be seen while preparing clean metal surfaces in ultra high vacuum; surfaces of "physical defined" noble metals (e.g., gold) are easy to clean and stay clean for a long time, while those of platinum or palladium, for example, are covered by carbon monoxide very quickly.[SUP][9][/SUP]

Last edited by a moderator:
Ben not answering I guess
Sounds the type when he is right he is right when wrong still right lol

Sorry it has gone this far. Job done. Money in pocket. Going to the pub. Just one thing to say. Cuprosolvency. Cheers:1eye:

Ben,

Im pretty sure that my last post, prior to this one, not only made a claim, but then substantiated it with two sources, last time I sat down with a lawyer (divorce) that was enough for a judge. Come to think of it you sound a bit like my ex wife, you have a bee in your bonnet and rather than show why you think your right you just repeat your opinion! Is that you Helen?

LOL - Is that you Helen...V funny. :)

Oh and by the way.......who actually cares if copper is a noble metal?

One more last thing to say. I thought noble metals were what crowns were made of.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Too much inhibitor? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

During an install of new boiler ('old' boiler died after 11-12 years) the system was "drained" but I guess maybe 90% of water was left in the...
Replies
Views
We have a Daikin Air Source heat pump feeding our hot water and under-floor 8 port manifold heating system. The Daikin has just had its annual...
Replies
Views
  • Question
I have a question that I’m hoping those of you who are experienced central heating engineers may be abler to throw some light on. But first I need...
Replies
Views
Hi, I have just had my central heating system "upgraded" for a four bed-roomed detached house. The heating company recommended going from the open...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Central Heating Pump - G Pump Force HE-RS25/6PWM-130 Hi, I would be grateful if someone could explain whether our CH system can cope with the...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock