Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Checkout our Plumbers Insurance area - heavily discounted Public Liability Insurance and Van Insurance specifically designed for plumbers.

Discuss Toilets continuously refilling after boiler install in the Plumbing Forum area at UKPlumbersForums.co.uk.

1. cadmunkey

cadmunkey New Member

Had a new boiler installed 3 days ago, since then all four toilets in the house have had a slow drip into the bowl.
    Today however all 4 are filling fast and not stopping, just continuously filling into the overflow pipes. Had to turn 3 of them off at the supply.
    All toilets just have a standard fill valve, can anyone shed any light on what may be causing this? Cheers!

2. ShaunCorbs

ShaunCorbs S. Mod Trusted Plumber GSR Top Contributor!!

Dirt on the washer

3. cadmunkey

cadmunkey New Member

Can you elaborate a bit more? Dirt on which washer? Do I need to replace every fill valve?

4. Last Plumber

Last Plumber Trusted Plumber GSR

As Shaun says, either soiled washer or worn washers.

5. ShaunCorbs

Best get the installer back but might cost you

6. cadmunkey

cadmunkey New Member

They already came back once to fix a leak :rolleyes: Just found a youtube video showing how to clean the fill valve washers so thanks for the suggestions guys much appreciated.

7. Best

Best Trusted Plumber Top Contributor!!

Was your boiler a changeover from a system that used tank water - to a combi boiler?
    Just was thinking maybe mains high pressure water going to toilets that were low pressure might have required toilet valves to be modified or replaced

• Like Like x 4
  8. cadmunkey

cadmunkey New Member

Yes, exactly that. From a system with tank to a combi-storage boiler. We have very high cold water pressure here that needed to be reduced for the new boiler does that mean I need to find new valves?

9. ShaunCorbs

New valves require

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  10. cadmunkey

cadmunkey New Member

OK, can you recommend any that are suitable? Wish the installers told me this!

11. cadmunkey

cadmunkey New Member

Fluidmaster on Screwfix say suitable for high and low pressure systems so I am guessing these will be fine?

12. Best

I use Fluidmaster Pro45b (brass tailed) valves if they fit in cistern without the vertical float catching on side of cistern.
    But there are similar fillvalves also suitable for high pressure.
    I think Screwfix do not have the Pro version in their normal catalogue and only bring them in if ordered.
    The Pro version has a red coloured top cap and also comes with a flow reducer insert for high pressures, which the similar looking Fluidmaster does not.

Poor that your gas boiler installers didn’t advise you at the very least beforehand

• Like Like x 1
  13. cadmunkey

cadmunkey New Member

Thanks Best, I can order those from Amazon for delivery tomorrow. Cheers bud.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Best

Careful that they fit in cistern without catching side.
    You don’t want a load of brand new fillvalves you end up having to sell on eBay

• Like Like x 1
  15. cadmunkey

cadmunkey New Member

The cisterns are large so plenty of room, they should be fine. Cheers!

• Like Like x 2